Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

I thought the Bass solo he did in 1984 in Biloxi Ms. was pretty cool...

The space effects and his entire routine sounds cool filling up a huge auditorium...

But he is an excellent bassist both on the albums and live...

He's the perfect foundation for Edward...

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

oh yeah...when drums stop...very bad...bass solo...
      Roth Army Icon
      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• if6was9
        Head Fluffer
        • Mar 2007

"When Alex Van Halen performs a long solo following not too far after Michael Anthony's bass solo (bass solo? Really? Still?), you start looking at your watch. Anthony did little more than run around and bang into the amps (...) and pop his strings. Luckily, that one was short."

"Let's pause here to point out that Michael Anthony is not a very good bassist; in fact, he's probably an extremely crappy bassist. I know people who think he’s the worst bassist in rock history, but I'm not willing to go that far, and anyway, it never mattered — when was the last time you listened to a Van Halen album and paid attention to the bass? The only people acutely aware of Anthony’s ineptitude with the bass are those who have seen the band play live. Like many of you, I've been treated to a Michael Anthony "bass solo" — if you never had the pleasure of seeing one, they usually lasted about ten minutes, during which the rest of the band would exit the stage, leaving Anthony to stumble around like a man frantically trying to extricate himself from a bass that's been surgically attached to his body. Like the girls in TLC used to say, unpretty."

"Michael always got a solo in the Van Halen live shows and I will have to admit not being very impressed with those. He usually got his Jack Daniel's bass out and that was enough to get the party hearty crowd going before he even strummed a single note. Once he hit a single note, the crowd got even more fired up, so he basically played this single note over and over until he got tired. It's a mark of rare genius to know when showmanship trumps ability. He saved his best moves for the studio and the world is all the better for it. Plus, if you get really bored and want to play a game of musical mix and match, just think if he had been the Beatle's bassist instead of Paul. The possibilities of amusement are endless."

I'm sorry, I couldn't find other opinions about Mike's bass playing.
        Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

This is EXCELLENT bass playing...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C_Sebn7YyjE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C_Sebn7YyjE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• matt19
            Sniper
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ELVIS
            I thought the Bass solo he did in 1984 in Biloxi Ms. was pretty cool...

The space effects and his entire routine sounds cool filling up a huge auditorium...

But he is an excellent bassist both on the albums and live...

He's the perfect foundation for Edward...

Sorry I have to disagree... the space effects were cool, but it dates the whole thing. Foundation for Edward, maybe, but with the right effects that solo can be played by a middle school bassist.
            Long Live Classic VH

Comment

• kamaboko
              Head Fluffer
              • Nov 2006

And this is any better?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6vdZ_b0l_U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6vdZ_b0l_U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• if6was9
                Head Fluffer
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kamaboko
                And this is any better?
                Of course not! But these are better:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Little Lamont
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Mar 2007

Mike is not a poor musician and those who say he is are the ones I was talkin bout last night.

Comment

• if6was9
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Little Lamont
                    Mike is not a poor musician
                    Prove it.

Comment

• Little Lamont
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Mar 2007

Man, I'm tired of arguing with you.

Comment

• if6was9
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Mar 2007

Arguing requires arguments.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'd consider Mike an "average" bass player.

He's obviously not on the level of Billy Sheehan, John Entwistle, or Geddy Lee but on the other hand, he's not Sid Vicious or Stuart Sutcliffe either.

It's no secret that Mike's harmonies were his primary contribution to the Van HALEN sound, more than his bass playing.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• if6was9
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Mar 2007

I tend to agree with Ford. "Average" is much more suitable word than "poor".

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

I will say his bass solo came across much better if you were actually in the arena. On video, it sounds and looks a bit silly, but it was loud as shit live - only bass player I ever heard play louder was Geezer Butler...

Mike is an okay player. There was a bit more to what he did than the often-ripped on RWTD intro, but he really didn't NEED to do much more anyway...Ed was doing so much as it was that to have a Sheehan thing happening on top of that would have made it sound too cluttered, IMO.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Plexi Head
                                Head Fluffer
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by if6was9
                                Prove it.
                                Have you listened to Fair Warning lately bud?

Proof enough in my book that Mike was capable enough of grooving and laying down the foundations for the greatest guitar player of all time and one of the best rock drummers ever.

Van Halen would sound like a mess with a busy wanker bass player. Who the fuck cares about a bass solo anyway? Mike entertained, he wasn't there to win any awards, he left that up to the guitar player.

What constitutes a good bass player anyway? A good bass player in my book makes the bottom end rock solid and is the consumate team player which is what Mike always was.

When did music and musicianship become sport anyway?
                                "One mouthful of you will rot every tooth in my mouth you little sugar"

Comment

Working...