X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddie78
    Head Fluffer
    • Nov 2004

The Queeeeeeen is in looooove....

Yngwie could not be gayer with his medeivel frilly shirts, beer belly & diminished leftover arpeggios.

Ed is a natural, not a third rate Blackmore clone that can pick really fast.
    Ed just exudes cool, without even trying.
    Yngwie prances around his keyboard player like a half-drunk cheerleader at a keg party.
    Oh yeah, Ed can write actual songs & riffs that are memorable.
    Yngwie composes hogwash like "You don't remember, i'll never forget" and "Heaven tonight (not the cool cheap trick song, either!)

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by eddie78
      The Queeeeeeen is in looooove....
      Great track, indeed. Some excellent riffing in there, "Trilogy" was easily one of the best guitar albums of '86 all around...

Yngwie could not be gayer with his medeivel frilly shirts, beer belly & diminished leftover arpeggios.
      Cool. You think Hendrix and Blackmore were fags for wearing the same styles?

Ed is a natural,
      A natural what? Player? You think Yngwie uses computers to fake his recordings, both in studio and live?

Exactly what do you mean, "natural"?

not a third rate Blackmore clone that can pick really fast.
      Good to hear you think so. Of course, neither is Malmsteen...

Ed just exudes cool, without even trying.
      Cool is the mark of all the greatest instrumentalists, you know.

Are you concerned about how well he parties and fucks, too?

Yngwie prances around his keyboard player like a half-drunk cheerleader at a keg party.
      Ever seen the 5150 strut?

I guess not...obviously never seen Malmsteen live, either, considering he's all over the fucking stage and quite the showman...

Again, you haven't actually addressed the topic at hand, other than to essentially call Yngwie a "Poopyhead".

Oh yeah, Ed can write actual songs & riffs that are memorable.
      Not without David Lee Roth he can't.

Yngwie composes hogwash like "You don't remember, i'll never forget" and "Heaven tonight (not the cool cheap trick song, either!)
      Hey, go spin your copy of OU812 and rock out, then; it's all about Eddie, right?

It's an attitude so limited, narrow minded and blind it's practically scary...

The point that I'm making, which nobody has been able to refute AT ALL with any sort of logical, thought out and/or intelligent argument, has been that Edward Van Halen has written COMPLETE AND TOTAL BULLSHIT on his instrument since 1983, he's fucked over his fanbase TIME AND AGAIN, fucked off his skill on his instrument to the point of sheer absurdity and HUNDREDS of guitarists, Yngwie among them, could have completely DESTROYED him on guitar and can STILL completely destroy him on guitar.

I truthfully feel like there are a lot of Eddie apologists as of late and the whole "All is Forgiven and Eddie is King!" attitude as of late comes from David's presence in the band. Had this topic been up here and HAGAR was fronting the band, I doubt Eddie would have even HALF of the support here he currently does.

Am I wrong? Maybe. Wouldn't be the first time. Again - I call it as I see it. Care to refute me? Try to do it with a well thought out post, not the random "Yngwie sucks! He's a fag! Eddie rules!" bullshit that's pointless and meandering.

But let me reiterate (yet again) that if you think Eddie's untouchable on guitar and/or an excellent songwriter in his own right...well...I feel kinda sorry for ya, because there's a whole other world out there in guitar-land that's moved on with the absence of anything even remotely interesting out of Edward Van Halen since 1984...

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by bueno bob

I truthfully feel like there are a lot of Eddie apologists as of late and the whole "All is Forgiven and Eddie is King!" attitude as of late comes from David's presence in the band. Had this topic been up here and HAGAR was fronting the band, I doubt Eddie would have even HALF of the support here he currently does.

I totally agree...

I also agree that Yngwie can play circles around Edward Van Halen...Yngwie is WAY better technically and in my opinion way better all around, especially when you factor in all the Van Halen cheese...

At least Yngwie stuck to his guns, but go on YouTube. He's starting to suck as well...

This sucks...

Nothing like old Yngwie...

Same for Edward...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueXIsgGgMYw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueXIsgGgMYw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited by ELVIS; 09-18-2007, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
          Sniper
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ELVIS
          especially when you factor in all the Van Halen cheese...
          :confused:
          https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

I mean, Van Hagar...

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
              Sniper
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ELVIS
              I mean, Van Hagar...
              https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
              http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Here's a good Yngwie performance...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YzgXozPqMrA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YzgXozPqMrA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Red House

Watch this...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a4l1Jk3ZCb4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a4l1Jk3ZCb4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Some musicians like to jam with anybody. Some musicians aren't comfortable putting themselve's out that much. They like to work on things with people they feel comfortable with and don't expose the goods to the public until it's refined and ready.

Eddie is the latter. I never got the impression he liked impromtu jams out in the open. With his friends, sure, but not onstage in front of everybody.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I found Yngwie inspiring. He's a good player and I like him on an accoustic guitar the most. People who say he has no feel don't know what they are talking about.

His sound could be more refined but it's still cool to see a guy fly on a standard Strat instead of some custom made shred guitar.

Sure he's a goofy guy from Sweden with geek factor and lost in the 80's but that's part of the appeal of the guy. LOL!
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• paternity ins
                        Roth Army Recruit
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bueno bob
                        New here, hunh?
                        actually, i've lurked for years.

Oh for fuck's sake.
                        ...'Opportunistic' hunh? How so?
                        not to psychoanalyze the dude, but it doesn't take much digging to conclude that he's inclined towards narcissism and egomania. i think yngwie pretty much indirectly points out his intentions in the quotes provided at the beginning of the thread:

he seems to be hiding from me and suddenly disappears whenever he finds out I happen to be around.
                        It's a very sad and totally unnecessary situation...The impression I'm getting is that he's feeling threatened by me, but I may be totally wrong.
                        like there aren't a million other reasons that EVH might not have WANTED TO or HAD THE TIME to hang and/or jam with you, yngwie? i think the fact that yngwie came to these sort of conclusions says more about him than it does ed, actually.

If I were to become extremely famous and everyone started calling me the guitar hero, that would not delete what he is and what he's accomplished. Just because Van Halen has been called the new guitar hero, that didn't automatically diminish what Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page accomplished.
                        in other words, "just because i put you on the spot and in the awkward and uncomfortable position of jamming with yours truly -- thus, establishing the fact that i am a better guitar player than you and ANY other guitar player who has ever lived because i can play 10x faster than you and can play every mode backwards with my teeth at 25689748.456 beats-per-second -- it doesn't diminish what you have brought to the table."

how diplomatic of ol' yngwie, huh?

now, put yourself in ed's shoes - try to imagine how many times in his career he's come across people like yngwie who want to outshine him to his face (and, hopefully, in the public eye)?

the bottom line is that ed gets it - yngwie doesn't. that's why hardly anyone (except shred-head guitar players) gives a fuck about yngwie malmsteen anymore, while ed and the gang are selling out arena's left and right. the MAIN reason people are still coming out to see CVH is because of the songs and the spirit and passion that went into writing them and performing them. people can steal ed's licks, turn them upside down, play them 10x faster, and expand on what he's done until they are blue in the face, but they will never be able to copy the inspiration behind his creativity and playing.

with that, i think ed showed a lot of class (and wisdom) by not playing along with this sort of bullshit.
                        Last edited by paternity ins; 09-18-2007, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by paternity ins
                          actually, i've lurked for years.
                          Well and good; however, if this is the worst thread you've ever read...you've really missed the boat...

not to psychoanalyze the dude, but it doesn't take much digging to conclude that he's inclined towards narcissism and egomania.
                          Sure he is. So are 85% of all other practicing guitarists today.

Hell, I think Dave and Ed have been accused of similar things...right? Or is my memory faulty on that?

No crime there.

i think yngwie pretty much indirectly points out his intentions in the quotes provided at the beginning of the thread
                          All I see is a guy who wanted to play with Eddie and wasn't able to get in touch with him, for whatever reasons (to which he admits he may be wrong about); the whole "intimidation" factor was dropped to get his attention...how better to get somebody's attention than to name-drop in Guitar Magazine?

And Ed still didn't bother to pick up the phone. I doubt playing with Ed would have done anything to better Yngwie's career THAT much - I also seriously doubt that playing with Yngwie would have harmed Eddie.

The ones who really lost out were the fans who would have loved to see it happen (and trust me, when that magazine came out I held my breath for quite a while only to find, again, no return from Eddie).

like there aren't a million other reasons that EVH might not have WANTED TO or HAD THE TIME to hang and/or jam with you, yngwie? i think the fact that yngwie came to these sort of conclusions says more about him than it does ed, actually.
                          Like I said - he wasn't able to make contact with Eddie through private channels, obviously, so he went and "asked" him to play publically.

But I guess King Eddie is too good for that...

in other words, "just because i put you on the spot and in the awkward and uncomfortable position of jamming with yours truly -- thus, establishing the fact that i am a better guitar player than you and ANY other guitar player who has ever lived because i can play 10x faster than you and can play every mode backwards with my teeth at 25689748.456 beats-per-second -- it doesn't diminish what you have brought to the table."
                          Are YOU intimidated and put into an awkward and uncomfortable position when somebody asks you to jam? Myself, when somebody asks me, I usually take it as a nice, friendly invite. Something just to do for fun's sake. What possible reason would Eddie have to feel awkward or uncomfortable?

If I were to become extremely famous and everyone started calling me the guitar hero, that would not delete what he is and what he's accomplished. Just because Van Halen has been called the new guitar hero, that didn't automatically diminish what Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page accomplished.

This means EXACTLY what it means. In fact, in that statement, I think Yngwie pays Edward one hell of a nice compliment, along with acknowledging the accomplishments of those who came before him and Ed both.

how diplomatic of ol' yngwie, huh?
                          It's more than you'd usually get out of him.

now, put yourself in ed's shoes - try to imagine how many times in his career he's come across people like yngwie who want to outshine him to his face (and, hopefully, in the public eye)?
                          Again, I don't see anywhere where Yngwie said "Fuck that Eddie Van Halen! If that mother fuckers got balls any bigger than peanuts, he'll lay down with me or else he's obviously a totally overrated chicken-shit fuckweed. DO YOU HEAR ME, EDDIE?!?!!?!???!?"

If THAT had been Yngwie's (or anybody's) attitude, then I could see avoiding the situation/person entirely...

But, putting myself in Ed's shoes, considering both of our styles and the way Yngwie approached the possibility of jamming together in the interview, I'd have jumped on it, honestly; if I could play like Eddie, I'd love to see what would have come out...and I'd realize that the fans of both would have liked to hear it, as well. I'd also remember that Sammy Hagar was singing in my band and therefore I had a lot of downtime, anyway...

the bottom line is that ed gets it - yngwie doesn't. that's why hardly anyone (except shred-head guitar players) gives a fuck about yngwie malmsteen anymore, while ed and the gang are selling out arenas left and right.
                          That leads me more to the belief that you're overemphasizing Eddie's greatness - and comparatively Yngwie's suckiness - because David Lee Roth is in the band.

the MAIN reason people are still coming out to see CVH is because of the songs and the spirit and passion that went into writing them and performing them.
                          Ahhh...but you see, nobody's going to see CVH, because CVH no longer exists....

people can steal ed's licks, turn them upside down, play them 10x faster, and expand on what he's done until they are blue in the face, but they will never be able to copy the inspiration behind his creativity and playing.

with that, i think ed showed a lot of class (and wisdom) by not playing along with this sort of bullshit.
                          Eddie Van Halen and "class" and "wisdom" hardly go together by my figuring...especially at that time and place in his career...
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• eddie78
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Nov 2004

Edward Van Halen redefined the guitar in 1978, from his tone to his technical ability to his songwriting to his vocabulary on the instrument.
                            Eddie was like a triple threat times three, basically a stellar riff & songwriter, innovator & the best guitar tone before or since.
                            Christ, he even built his own guitars!

Yngwie has one of those things: Technical ability.

If you think forgettable hair shred like "Queen is in love" is up there with the raw, sophisticated strut of "Romeo Delight", i feel sorry for your lack of taste.

Yngwies "tunes" were showcases for him to play the same five fast licks he always plays, up & down the fretboard.
                            The only good songs in his repertoire were penned by Graham Bonnet, during the Alcatrazz days.

Edward was off the cuff, spontaneous, and beyond comprhension.
                            His solo in "So this is love?" is ferocious poetry on the fretboard, not a simple wankfest of arpeggios & sweep picking.

Yngwie is a punchline from the hair metal, shred heavy 80's.

Edward VH is a legend.
                            Get used to it.

Comment

• eddie78
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Nov 2004

Trilogy had Yngwie's take on a VH riff, and i think the vocal line consisted of "Fire! I'm burnin' up with Fire! Fire! Burnin' up with desire!"

Yngwie cannot write a memorable riff or song to save his life.

Put something like Odyssey next to WACF or Fair Warning..
                              It's like comparing Poison records to the Zeppelin catalogue!

Ed avoided Yng because he knew the guy was not even remotely on the same planet as him.
                              Why jam with someone you are not inspired by?

One's a technician, the other is a musician.

Anyone can woodshed sixteen hours a day to Bach records, but how many can summon a "cathedral" or "Mean street?"

Ed's creative peak from 78-84 is enough for several lifetimes of guitar playing.
                              He has nothing left to prove, as those six records said it all.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2004

Edward Van Halen redefined the guitar in 1978, from his tone to his technical ability to his songwriting to his vocabulary on the instrument.
                                Eddie was like a triple threat times three, basically a stellar riff & songwriter, innovator & the best guitar tone before or since.
                                Christ, he even built his own guitars!

Yngwie has one of those things: Technical ability.

If you think forgettable hair shred like "Queen is in love" is up there with the raw, sophisticated strut of "Romeo Delight", i feel sorry for your lack of taste.

Yngwies "tunes" were showcases for him to play the same five fast licks he always plays, up & down the fretboard.
                                The only good songs in his repertoire were penned by Graham Bonnet, during the Alcatrazz days.

Edward was off the cuff, spontaneous, and beyond comprhension.
                                His solo in "So this is love?" is ferocious poetry on the fretboard, not a simple wankfest of arpeggios & sweep picking.

Yngwie is a punchline from the hair metal, shred heavy 80's.

Edward VH is a legend.
                                Get used to it.

Great post!

Happy Birthday , here's 5 for you..........
                                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

Working...