• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddie78
    Head Fluffer
    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by diamondjimi
    Great post!

Happy Birthday , here's 5 for you..........
    Thanks, man!
    I appreciate that.

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Man, Yngwie's songs from the Alcatrazz days and his first three albums are all killer, no filler and are as memorable and inspiring as anything i can think of...

It's classic stuff...

But Yngwie's playing is based on what Edward started, there's no denying that...

To me, under all the classically influenced licks lies the same driving heavy rock guitar that Edward wote the book on...Yngwie is a huge classic Van Halen fan and I think his music shows it, especially his early stuff...

What Yngwie did was take it to another level. A mind boggling level which is why he's often cited as innovative at the same level as Edward or Jimi...

If Yngwie had the right vocalist, say, Dio or even kept Jeff Scott Soto, he would have made a larger lasting impression...

Yngwie freaked the guitar world out the same way Hendrix and Edward did, period...

Last edited by ELVIS; 09-19-2007, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
        Sniper
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ELVIS
        If Edward had the right vocalist, say, Dio or even kept Jeff Scott Soto,
        :confused:
        https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
        http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Yngwie!

LMAO!

I fixed it...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Check out this guy playing an Yngwie medley...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZrxJMeCxVQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZrxJMeCxVQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The guy must of programmed the drums and played the bass and all the backing guitar...

Pretty damn good...

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

If Yngwie had the right vocalist, say, Dio or even kept Jeff Scott Soto, he would have made a larger lasting impression...

Totally agree, his albums with Jeff Scott Soto were great !
              Maybe theres another reunion that "should" happen..
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Check this ont Mark...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W1ogxPCu8BU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W1ogxPCu8BU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                  Sniper
                  • Feb 2007

Yngwie!

LMAO!

I fixed it...
                  I knew whom you were talking about. I was just messin’ with ya. We have to stick together around here.

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                    Sniper
                    • Feb 2007

Check out this guy playing an Yngwie medley...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZrxJMeCxVQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZrxJMeCxVQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The guy must of programmed the drums and played the bass and all the backing guitar...

Pretty damn good...

That was awesome. I can see why people dig Yngwie. I remember going to see Steve Vai at a local club that seats 500 people at most and the crowd consisted of every local musician. That same year, Nirvana released there first album and sold 7 MILLION copies. I thought to myself and wondered why does a great guitar player like Vai plays to only about 500 people and a person who can barely tune his guitar plays to a full house. It’s about simplicity. Most people can’t even clap their hands in unison to a beat. So you have to create a song so simple that everyone can bobble their heads to and that’s easier said than done. Why is that? I started as a metal bass player and playing like Geddy Lee and Steve Harris was a lot easier to copy than Gene Simmons. That pisses me of. The first real band I played for in the late 80's asked me to learn songs like Run to the Hills, Bastille Day, Calling Dr. Love, Children of the Sea and Romeo Delight. And I’m embarrassed to say that I had a harder time learning the simpler songs than the harder. For some strange reason Calling Dr. Love was 10 times harder to learn than Run to the Hills. So, Back to Ed and Yngwie. That acoustic guitar song that you posted from Ynwie was bad ass. I totally respect the playing of Yngwie, but I’d much rather write a song like Dance the Night Away than Forever One. As a half assed musician myself, I’d take Ed six days a week and twice on sundays over Yngwie. But you have to remember big E, this is the time I usually drink my nightly glass of Ernest & Julio Gallo’s finest. So my judgement and thoughts are impaired. I’ll be hiding under my desk for yours and Bobs response towards my post.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I listen to more Van Halen than Yngwie, that's for sure...

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Check this ont Mark...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W1ogxPCu8BU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W1ogxPCu8BU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

MATE !!!

Thats my fave Yngwie/Soto song !!

How do you know these things ???

That was awesome....

Im going to Gracelands, Dammit !!

ELVIS IS IN THE BUILDING !!
                        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                          Sniper
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by eddie78
                          If you think forgettable hair shred like "Queen is in love" is up there with the raw, sophisticated strut of "Romeo Delight", i feel sorry for your lack of taste.
                          If you think Queen is in Love is one of Yngwie's best songs (you compare it to Romeo Delight which is one of Van Halen's best songs), you obviously do not know enough about Yngwie to be up here writing ignorant posts about him.
                          "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• bueno bob
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Trilogy had Yngwie's take on a VH riff, and i think the vocal line consisted of "Fire! I'm burnin' up with Fire! Fire! Burnin' up with desire!"

Yngwie cannot write a memorable riff or song to save his life.
                            And yet, in the same breath, you remember one.

Good morning...

Put something like Odyssey next to WACF or Fair Warning..
                            It's like comparing Poison records to the Zeppelin catalogue!
                            In the sense that Poison and Zeppelin are two different entities and two different forms of music, you're right. But in that sense alone.

Ed avoided Yng because he knew the guy was not even remotely on the same planet as him. Why jam with someone you are not inspired by?
                            Great. Hey, when did you ask Ed about this? Is that an exact quote when you asked him about Yngwie, or...?

Just curious.

One's a technician, the other is a musician.
                            Holy shit...you mean the two are mutually exclusive from each other?

Crap! Hang on, lemme get a note pad here so you can teach me some more shit about music, OK? ...Go ahead, tell me more about how musicians can't be technicians on their instrument!

Any other great theories you have on what defines a musician as opposed to somebody who's NOT a musician would be great too!

Anyone can woodshed sixteen hours a day to Bach records, but how many can summon a "cathedral" or "Mean street?"
                            Oh good - a pop quiz!

Let me see: the answer is a "musician", right?

Because fuck knows you don't have to be a musician to "woodshed sixteen hours a day to Bach records"!

Did I get it right?

Ed's creative peak from 78-84 is enough for several lifetimes of guitar playing. He has nothing left to prove, as those six records said it all.
                            Since Ed has "nothing to prove" and the first six records "said it all" over the span of what would have taken "several lifetimes"....I expect your not going to see him on this latest tour, buying anything he ever records again, haven't supported anything he's done since 1986 and have absolutely ZERO interest in the reunion then?
                            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                              Sniper
                              • Apr 2004

Yngwie cannot write a memorable riff or song to save his life.

Put something like Odyssey next to WACF or Fair Warning..
                              It's like comparing Poison records to the Zeppelin catalogue!

One's a technician, the other is a musician.

Anyone can woodshed sixteen hours a day to Bach records, but how many can summon a "cathedral" or "Mean street?"
                              Actually if you took Yngwie's catalog of memorable songs and riffs it would probably larger than EVH's. However Yngwie has recorded a lot more albums than Ed so Yngwie also has more garbage in there. Also Yngwie never had a David Lee Roth caliber person to collaborate with.

Dreaming, Rising Force, and Heaven Tonight from Odyssey compare very well to anything from WACF or Fair Warning.

If Yngwie is not a musician why did he get nominated for a grammy award and how could it be that he wrote, recorded and performed the first and only concerto for electric guitar and orchestra.

Cathedral and Mean Street are extremely innovative pieces, but Black Star, Far Beyond the Sun, and Icarus Dream Suite are much better songs with much better melodies.
                              "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• bueno bob
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
                                Actually if you took Yngwie's catalog of memorable songs and riffs it would probably larger than EVH's. However Yngwie has recorded a lot more albums than Ed so Yngwie also has more garbage in there. Also Yngwie never had a David Lee Roth caliber person to collaborate with.
                                Absolutely...all the difference in one little paragraph, right there.

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
                                Dreaming, Rising Force, and Heaven Tonight from Odyssey compare very well to anything from WACF or Fair Warning.

If Yngwie is not a musician why did he get nominated for a grammy award and how could it be that he wrote, recorded and performed the first and only concerto for electric guitar and orchestra.

Cathedral and Mean Street are extremely innovative pieces, but Black Star, Far Beyond the Sun, and Icarus Dream Suite are much better songs with much better melodies.
                                I would avoid comparisons as "better than", personally, but I honestly feel they're great compositions, things Ed wouldn't be able to come up with on his own...of course, when the entire body of work is examined, I think Yngwie's come up with some very inspired work over the years, far more than Eddie has, simply because Yngwie's bulk of work trumps Eddie's...had Eddie kept up the '78/'84 work ethic and had David's writing to balance him out throughout the whole time...my answer might be a lot different.

As it stands, however, Malmsteen has the edge in technical playing, quality of work, bulk of material and execution of instrument, as far as I'm concerned. Not just because I hate Eddie Van Halen and think he's a polesmoker, but because, ax to ax, I honestly feel Malmsteen trumps him, and I've heard every studio/live album out of both guitarists to feel educated enough to make that estimation.

Regarding the "Concerto for Electric Guitar & Orchestra" album, I think Yngwie was heavily inspired by Deep Purple's "Concerto for Group & Orchestra" album...to be quite honest, I haven't heard the DP album in question, so I can't say for sure, but people have told me that it's very much in the style of...?
                                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...