X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RogueHorseman
    Commando
    • Apr 2004

:eek:

Good gawd, boy. What HAVE you been smoking?

Your post is so completely riddled with totally inaccurate hogwash and gibberish that I don't even know where to begin to correct it.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• Northern Girl
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Well, MNFan, if it's all about Ed; how are you going to feel if Ed is playing as shitty as everyone is saying?
      Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• RogueHorseman
        Commando
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by MNFan
        Does anyone really remember when DLR left Van-Halen back in the 80's. DLR LEFT! His ego was so overblown that he thought he could do a solo album and movies and that he no longer needed the rest of the band. He was out of his mind to think that he had that much power or popularity. Warner Brothers had the "best of both worlds", DLR solo making money and VH with a new frontman making money. Perfect strategy for the company.

Now with that said, DLR did put together some great music after he first left. But neither he or Sammy or Gary Cherone will ever be the lyricist that say someone like Bob Dylan is. Or Neal Pert. Or Sting. Van Halen has always been aobut sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Lyrics take a back seat to the music; all the music, drums, bass and of course guitar.

Eddie was found by Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley from KISS. They wanted to dump Ace and add Eddie but he didn't want any part of that. DLR was brought in and they were signed by Warner Brothers (grudginly as well because WB wanted VH to have Sammy be thier frontman when they first signed)

They pumped out albums faster than anyone else for three or four years. Toured nonstop and raised alot of hell. Eddie actually wrote "jump" for the Women and Children First album and the first major conflict between the ego's of Dave and Eddie appeared. Dave said "noone wants to hear you play the fucking keyboard"...imagine how history would have changed if Ed had said "fuck you noone wants to listen to you sing" Eddie is a musician not just a guitar player. Dave is a frontman (one of the best in history but still just a frontman).

I have all the songs (except Fair Warning-still don't own that one-couldn't tell ya why), including VH3 with GC and an import bootleg that was from '77 (yeah that is 1977-not many of you were alive then) that was done in a couple hotels in Cali...you wanna talk about RAW! Try to find it, it cost me $35 in a lil corner music shop.

Ego's are what blew the band apart. Ego's are what brought them back toghether for one best of album and now another. I have tickets to the show in MN already. I wouldn't miss any chance to see Ed play the guitar. He could get rid of everyone in the band and pick up three new people and I would still go see him. Personal opinions are just that-Opinions. And alot of times they are like assholes...everyone has one and it usually stinks.

Just a little history lesson and my stinky opinion...
        Have at him fellas, Baby Doll needs me right now...

This one will be most interesting to check back in on later.
        <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• EmpyreLounge44
          Foot Soldier
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Northern Girl
          Well, MNFan, if it's all about Ed; how are you going to feel if Ed is playing as shitty as everyone is saying?
          i was at the 1st philly show, the one that actually sold well, and thought Ed sounded great. he is definitly changing things up though and not playing note for note what is on the record, and all i have to say is thank god. i said it in another thread that ed has never been one to care about his playing and to me it seemed like he is doing that now but changing things up some and noodling some more. it was interesting

Comment

• MNFan
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Jun 2004

Rogue,

I would like to know where my info is incorrect? Gene Simmons? Bad Lyrics? Warner Brothers? Where Jump fits in the history of the band? How fast they made albums? I could go back and find all the articles and put up my bibliography if you want. FACTS

DLR gave us Stevie Vai and Billy Sheehan. I will forever be greatful for that. DLR is the quintesential frontman not a solo artist. He needs quality around him to excell. That is why after Via left he had maybe one good album. You know the one with hammerhaed shark and sensible shoes on it? OPINION

Eddie gave us a totally new style of playing guitar that is so commonplace now that noone remembers having to sneak their older brother's VH 1 album out when our parents weren't home because we were young and weren't supposed to listen to that type of music. Get real. VH is about the music, mainly the guitar-not who sings, Simmons knew it, Warner Brothers knew it, Sammy knew it that is why he is back, DLR knew it that is why he tried to get back. OPINION

Northern Girl:
            Eddie playing shitty is still better than 90% of the guitar players out there today so I will feel just fine watching him play at the Xcel Center. Nice to see another person from the Great State of MN speaking thier mind. OPINION

Put the fact /opinion coments there so you can focus on what you can riddle and what is my stink...heh oh yeah it was good smoke too...
            Last edited by MNFan; 06-25-2004, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Northern Girl
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I'm not a musician, so I would never comment on his guitar playing; but I don't believe the guitar player makes the band. No matter how good he is. This original line-up was magic because of the whole package, not just because of Ed.

Comment

• azcrdnal
                Foot Soldier
                • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Low...

Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
                Yeah Ed is drinking again but suggesting he faked cancer to explain him disappearing from music for 6 years is pretty classless when everyone verifys it to be true.

thats why i made a point to say currently since who knows how long this reunion will last. The point you made about what Alex said is excellent and you can easily see it happening. There is only so much pretending you can do that things weren't said and didn't happen.

As far as the journalists go, they arent doing interviews other than a few here and there...all the interviews that come out are all from the same conference call with Sammy & Al. And even then, journalists will not keep pushing the "You said this...He said that" since they weren't answering them. It just doesnt make sense to beat the dead horse when they are just flat out refusing to answer the questions about what was said.
                the only reason ed disappeared from the music world was to screw val out of money in the divorce.he didn't have cancer he lied.

Comment

• MNFan
                  Roth Army Recruit
                  • Jun 2004

I agree NG the whole package makes the band. Seen DLR in VH, SH in VH, DLR solo at the MN State Fair (really would have liked to have heard some of his solo stuff not just the VH stuff and Yankee Rose) and SH solo at the free concert on Hennepin Ave. The best of them all was the 5150 tour where (laugh) Bachman Turner Overdrive opened for them with a close second being the ou812 tour with the Scorps, Dokken, Metallica and (laugh) Kingdom Come. And I guess that I am a VHalen fan, DLR fan (his second and third albums after he left), VHagar fan, and SH fan. They are different packages and I like them all.

Comment

• Northern Girl
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I assume your talking 2001. I saw Dave at the State Fair too. Also saw him at the Rock and at Rockfest in Cadott that year too. I was actually ecstatic to hear the old Van Halen stuff, because I've never had the pleasure of seeing Van Halen live with Dave. Saw Dave solo a few times in the 80's also. Saw Hagar in the early 80's. Actually don't remember anything about it except he was wearing a red jumpsuit.

Comment

• Ernie123

Apparently Some...

Have an extremely tough time reading. Of course, most Sam Hagar fans will be a step below GED level education. However, I refuse to dumb anything down further.

Facts are facts. I have based all of my analysis on fact. For example, Ed's sobriety was bullshit. It's a fact. Sam Dickhead himself said that his sobriety was bullshit! I think those two are touring together right now...

Ed said he had cancer but apparently has refused to change his lifestyle? Still smokes and drinks. You don't think he might of at least considered it at the urging of his physician?? Also, let's not even get started on the hip replacement bs. He pissed and moaned about that but went out on the VH3 tour anyway?? Then had the surgery??? He told everyone at the now infamous 1996 MTV awards that he couldn't tour because of it. But then had a convenient excuse for it when the VH3 tour happened BEFORE his surgery. Some bs about his Doctor telling him to keep his weight down.... Ed's never weighed more than a 135 in his miserable life! Yet, still went out doing his guitar jumps?

Also, all of the sam sheepdicks can save their "move on" and "get over the past" arguments. My analysis is not about that. It's about laying out a pattern of behavior. A pattern of behavior that cannot be revised or explained away in the fashion that the Ed's, Sam's and Dickhead Al's of the world would like. That pattern you ask? Well, it's simply being unaccountable. It's also disingeneous to fans who bothered to read the bullshit. What a collasol waste of time. After all of the Gary's in for life crap, sobriety speeches and Val and I's marriage is as strong as ever from Ed, anything he says isn't worth the paper it's printed on. It's wasted oxygen. So, do you think it's even remotely possible that Ed could be as big of problem as Dave for a Classic VH reunion? Is it possible Dave could even be less responsible than Ed?

In the final analysis, Ed Van Halen has lied. You say it's his life and he can do what he wants??? It is his life..BUT and a BIG BUTT and I'm not just talking about Valerie Ono either, is now he is asking fans to go out and spend $75 a night because he wants to buy his catalog back. Seems like a pretty inequitable partnershp if you ask me. He can lie and spew his nonsensical bullshit about sobriety, cancer, not "reliving" the past and moving forward and who cares if it sells..??Well you know what the irony is??? It must sell now! Because HE NEEDS THE MONEY!!!!

For all you moronic sheep that can see this???!!!! You can lead a donkey to water, but you can't make them drink.

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

make it stop

turn it down
                        ow, my head
                        Originally posted by flappo
                        i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
                        translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

hello campers

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

it's the george formby singalong!

omae baka dana?

Comment

• EmpyreLounge44
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jun 2004

Re: Apparently Some...

Without a doubt, Ed and DLR are equally responsible for the lack of them being able to get along. Both are egomaniacs that craved the spotlight and instead of thriving in it like they did, they both fight over it and cant make it work. Is that one's fault over another? No, Im sure when it gets down to it, both are assholes. they made some of the best rock music of the 80s together, but lets not get all moral and think one is better than the other...both are assholes.

what appeared to be the thing that stopped the 2000 sessions? DLR suing ED and Co over royalties...money. He wants his due piece of the pie. If DLR really wanted it to happen like Sam did, he would be back but he cant put his feelings and ego aside to work with Ed and vice versa.

Is Ed dumb for still smoking and drinking? yes, there is no doubt that it is the dumbest move you could make, but you know what...he doesnt have to live his life to please anyone. If he wants to slowly kill himself again, thats his deal, no matter how stupid it is. He doesn't owe anyone anything to live the perfect lifestyle that everyone here leads.

Step aside the sour grapes...if DLR was back on this tour, would Ed be an issue....NO. He would be the guitar god again, even if he sounded the same, as most of you think he sounds awful now.

Does he need money? Yeah...who doesnt. Do musicians lie in interviews and say shit just to get people to buy in? yes. hit me with any sheep or stupid homo comment you want, but the guy doesnt owe you or I anything. Flat out, doesnt owe a thing to us. If you don't want to be part of the tour and contribute to him buying back the catalog, fine...it really doesnt matter, since as you said it doesnt matter cause they got their piece up front. smart business for them

Comment

• Bad Muthafucker
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MNFan
                                Does anyone really remember when DLR left Van-Halen back in the 80's. DLR LEFT! His ego was so overblown that he thought he could do a solo album and movies and that he no longer needed the rest of the band. He was out of his mind to think that he had that much power or popularity. Warner Brothers had the "best of both worlds", DLR solo making money and VH with a new frontman making money. Perfect strategy for the company.

Now with that said, DLR did put together some great music after he first left. But neither he or Sammy or Gary Cherone will ever be the lyricist that say someone like Bob Dylan is. Or Neal Pert. Or Sting. Van Halen has always been aobut sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Lyrics take a back seat to the music; all the music, drums, bass and of course guitar.

Eddie was found by Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley from KISS. They wanted to dump Ace and add Eddie but he didn't want any part of that. DLR was brought in and they were signed by Warner Brothers (grudginly as well because WB wanted VH to have Sammy be thier frontman when they first signed)

They pumped out albums faster than anyone else for three or four years. Toured nonstop and raised alot of hell. Eddie actually wrote "jump" for the Women and Children First album and the first major conflict between the ego's of Dave and Eddie appeared. Dave said "noone wants to hear you play the fucking keyboard"...imagine how history would have changed if Ed had said "fuck you noone wants to listen to you sing" Eddie is a musician not just a guitar player. Dave is a frontman (one of the best in history but still just a frontman).

I have all the songs (except Fair Warning-still don't own that one-couldn't tell ya why), including VH3 with GC and an import bootleg that was from '77 (yeah that is 1977-not many of you were alive then) that was done in a couple hotels in Cali...you wanna talk about RAW! Try to find it, it cost me $35 in a lil corner music shop.

Ego's are what blew the band apart. Ego's are what brought them back toghether for one best of album and now another. I have tickets to the show in MN already. I wouldn't miss any chance to see Ed play the guitar. He could get rid of everyone in the band and pick up three new people and I would still go see him. Personal opinions are just that-Opinions. And alot of times they are like assholes...everyone has one and it usually stinks.

Just a little history lesson and my stinky opinion...
                                ok, nobody else wants to really tackle this at full length, so here goes....

listen pal, you really need to get & thoroughly read through david's book. david didn't leave van halen to do MOVIES (PLURAL), he only wanted to do "crazy from the heat - the movie" and that was it. kinda like a side project. i'm actually quoting dave as closely as i can from memory here (yeah, i have read the book that many times!) because mtv was wide open at the time, anything that was good or colorful or interesting, you got some kind of rotation on the channel. so he thought, "well, we'll do this movie, and we'll have van halen do the music. wow, what a one-two punch!" this was not to be. but it was only supposed to be a side project...a once-and-done deal. dave said it himself to howard stern: only an idiot would leave van halen to pursue a movie career! and i have david on tape saying that to howard.

and dave didn't leave van halen because he thought he could do a solo album. he made the album "crazy from the heat" because van halen was suffering from a major interim caused by laziness, booze, and drugs. and dave was sick of sitting around waiting for the band to get off their asses and record. same with the videos for "just a gigolo" and "california girls". and after even more time passed, david just got sick of doing nothing. and also, when they did get together to write songs, eddie (or should i say edward) was becoming more and more sissified in his writing...wanting to do ballads and so forth. dave had enough. it had nothing to do with ego.

and paul & gene FOUND eddie? i thought the doctor did that when he pull ed from between his mudda's legs! seriously though, what do you mean by saying that they FOUND him? were you referring to how gene happened to be at the club (i forget which one) that van halen was playing at back in ....shit, i'm having a brain strain here...was it '77 or so? but anyway, when gene heard them playing and was astonished and confronted them about financing a demo...was THAT what you were referring to when you said that gene FOUND edward? yeah, i agree that his presence at the club that night and noticing ed had a great deal of influence on van halen's career, but ed was playing guitar, with david singing (i might add) long before gene happened to stumble upon them. and with ed's musical talent and dave's on-stage persona, somehow i think that van halen would have burst out and made it to the top even without the help of simmons and his demo.

i agree, it is fact, that gene secretly had his own agendas...aka trying to recruit edward into kiss. that is a fact.

but dave wasn't brought in AFTER gene noticed van halen, he was with them WAY before that! where did you get that idea from? and where the hell did you get the bit about warner brothers wanting sammy hagar as their singer instead of dave when they FIRST signed? you mean, like, back in 1978?

where do you get this stuff?
                                Last edited by Bad Muthafucker; 06-25-2004, 02:48 PM.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...7qatW5tds&NR=1

Comment

Working...