• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
    Once again, this calls for...

One of the all time classics there Chef!

I thought about using it as an avatar over there, but I would've been banned in an hour instead of 24...
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by UK ROCKER
      In a way Dave could be held part responsible for the VH3 thing.

I mean if he had towed the line at tha VMA awards thing then he would be have been able to have sung on that record.

But would that have make the record a killer record?
      Towed the line, my ass!

Dave was being fucking DAVE at the MTV Awards, and he got a standing fucking ovation for it. Everybody in that crowd loved him, and loved Van HALEN being back together, and considering an MTV crowd in 1996 included grunge/hip-hop/boyband/Titney Spears types and Christ knows what else, that's pretty much widespread support. Beck, whose moment was supposedly "ruined" by Dave's antics (according to Eddie in all the 96/97 interviews) didn't mind at all. He was on stage with Van Fucking HALEN. What is there to complain about, and he pretty much said so himself, when asked.

There were two people who fucked up the 1996 reunion: 1) Ray Danniels 2) Edward Van Halen. I was able to forgive Eddie when he put the band back together. I'll never forgive Danniels.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Actually, I'm kind of hoping Hagar doesn't kick the bucket anytime soon, mostly because when he does go it will be followed by a barrage of press articles blathering about how great he was...although the pop culture media cycle moves so quickly these days that coverage on his death will come and go in a few days (perhaps not even that much if another more important celebrity musician like, say, Joey Lawrence, dies around the same time he does).

The worst lingering after effect would be the predictable dozens-upon-dozens of flaming Tubby Red Cheese Internet Waborita Linkers descending upon this site en masse, demanding we show Hagar the respect they feel he deserves: "He's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! He's a dead legend!! Show Sammy props!!"

Ugh. A sad fucking day THAT will be!
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          Towed the line, my ass!

Dave was being fucking DAVE at the MTV Awards, and he got a standing fucking ovation for it. Everybody in that crowd loved him, and loved Van HALEN being back together, and considering an MTV crowd in 1996 included grunge/hip-hop/boyband/Titney Spears types and Christ knows what else, that's pretty much widespread support. Beck, whose moment was supposedly "ruined" by Dave's antics (according to Eddie in all the 96/97 interviews) didn't mind at all. He was on stage with Van Fucking HALEN. What is there to complain about, and he pretty much said so himself, when asked.

There were two people who fucked up the 1996 reunion: 1) Ray Danniels 2) Edward Van Halen. I was able to forgive Eddie when he put the band back together. I'll never forgive Danniels.
          While I don't 'know' this, it isn't too far of a leap to suspect that the choice not to go on tour with Roth or record a full-length album with him in 1996/1997 was made by the Van Halens before the 1996 MTV VMAs. Despite Roth saying if he was guilty of anything he was guilty of denial ("two songs was all I knew for sure") and EVH claiming the Van Halens had never alluded towards him being back in the band beyond the two BOV1 tracks, I find it hard to believe that the POSSIBILITY of touring and recording more material with Dave wasn't at least DISCUSSED between Roth and the Van Halens at some point prior to the VMA appearance.

Once that choice was made by the Van Halens and Ray Danniels, the BOV1 album had as yet to be released, nor were any promo videos shot. I frankly think the Van Halens/Danniels just strung Roth along at that point and let him delude himself for another few weeks. The VMAs were just part of that stringing-along process. Once the Van Halens fully realized the snowball effect of the fan desire to see a CVH reunion, they were looking for the first public excuse they could find for dumping him, because Roth wanted back into the fold and the fans wanted to see it happen. To allow those things to happen would have deprived EVH of control over ALL aspects of the band, a degree of control he never really had back in the glory days of CVH.

I mean, outside of the Van Halens, nobody gave two shits about Roth's antics onstage behind Beck. Even Beck himself wasn't bothered by it. The Van Halens had a story to peddle ("Roth's still an asshole") and were intent on trying to sell it. It was the same story they tried to sell in 1985/1986. Back then, the story worked to a degree, so they just attempted to run an old pattern out of their playbook. The difference was that the vast majority of fans in 1996 didn't CARE if the Van Halens liked Dave or not. I dunno if the Van Halens at that point felt that it would be an easy sell because Roth's public profile in the last 4 or so years leading up to 1996 had diminished substantially, or they just didn't understand how much CVH meant to people, but it was a major miscalculation and the Van Halens deserved all the repercussions that decision hurled their way: their next record bombed, their next lead singer left soon after and their record label dropped them.

That fallout combined with a lot of personal setbacks sent them hunkering for the 5150 bunker, and even after all that happened it STILL took them ten MORE years (and an abysmal tour with Hagar) to finally get serious about Roth (after several attempts between 2000-2003 to reconcile with Dave), and even THAT had probably more to do with Wolfie instigating the thing...I mean, considering where Eddie Van Halen was by 2005 and 2006, he looked like a meth-head drunk with one foot in the grave.

The Van Halens went with Roth in late 2006 because they had fucked up all their other options at that point, so I dunno how much credit I give them for finally coming to the decision everybody else on the planet knew should have been made ten years prior.

Whatever. If Van Halen MK4 ends up getting the vaults released, I'll take it anyway I can get it far as CVH material is concerned.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• thome
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Mar 2005

I mean if he had towed the line at tha VMA awards thing then he would be have been able to have sung on that record.

But would that have make the record a killer record?
            DUDE!!!

Ed was too high back then to tour or do much more than stand up for 7 minutes in a row.

He started going paranoid ballistic on Roth out of fear as a cop-out, smoke screen to get away from looking like a drug addled douche nozzle in front of the fans and the media.

He used Dave as a tool.

I believe what I believe and have done similar things myself.

Accceptence is the first step in The Bill W.

Then the forgivness, that was realized by most of the civilized world many years ago.

I am not putting words in MF'ers mouths I am dropping names to explain what I believe happened.

Check out the dudes who do business now that at one time were ready to kill each other, thru mutual acceptence and forgiveness and admission of letting the thorn in your side stop festering, we can become stronger as individuals together.

Don't make me quote prose bitches you wouldn't like me quoting prose.

MUTHA ON ROTHS!!!

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

This comment right here proves that you're just trying to get Dave fans upset. Anyone with half a brain knows the brothers were just angry that they were suddenly going to have to compete with Dave for attention and star-status. That's why the VMA's freaked them out and they got Gary in.

You're trying to get Dave fans upset. Your very existence reeks of idiocy.
              Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
              Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                The worst lingering after effect would be the predictable dozens-upon-dozens of flaming Tubby Red Cheese Internet Waborita Linkers descending upon this site en masse, demanding we show Hagar the respect they feel he deserves: "He's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! He's a dead legend!! Show Sammy props!!"

Ugh. A sad fucking day THAT will be!
                Actually, that would be fucking awesome. I'd laugh in their faces and say... "George Harrison dying? That was tragedy. Layne Staley dying? That was tragedy. Sammy Hagar? He did us a fucking favor." Then I would add, "Dream another dream...this dream is over!" :tongue0011:
                Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

If Sam died (and I'm not wishing death on him) there would be VERY little media coverage, at least music media.

Shit, no-one's ever waxed lyrical about the merits of 'Three Lock Box'..........
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

ALEX CHILTON died yesterday. He was the leader of a great overlooked rock band from the early 1970s, BIG STAR. I've seen very little mention of it. That was a 1,000 times bigger tragedy than anything happening to cheddar-head.
                    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                      ALEX CHILTON died yesterday. He was the leader of a great overlooked rock band from the early 1970s, BIG STAR. I've seen very little mention of it. That was a 1,000 times bigger tragedy than anything happening to cheddar-head.
                      SHUT UP! Even the THOUGHT of the man who wrote the lyrics to so many well loved classic pussy ballads and limp dicked "rockers" is HORRIFYING! I'm gonna go drown my sorrows with a nice chocolate milk now!

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Rikk
                        I feel ya.

Check Lounge's thread on Alex. I believe that there is also an article on Classic Rock's webiste.
                        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• UK ROCKER
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2009

Firstly remember i'm a big Dave fan that is why i am here remember.
                          Secondly, All i'm saying is anything and everything is up for debate.
                          Just don't get so angry guy's,
                          It's only chit chat, right?

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Firstly remember i'm a big Dave fan that is why i am here remember.
                            Secondly, All i'm saying is anything and everything is up for debate.
                            Just don't get so angry guy's,
                            You done seeking attention and contradicting yourself?

Of course it's "chit-chat". Sit down. Have a tea. Let's talk some more.

By the way, Sammy sucks and Dave is the man!
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• VanHalener
                              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Sammy Hagar sucks so much he caused the vacuum in space.

&

The Dyson vacum is modeled after the sucking power of Sammy Hagar.
                              ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• bueno bob
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jul 2004

Just remember that when you get a biker gang on your ass.
                                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...