X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    Its not uncommon for band members to record their parts separtely and not even in the same state/city.

If that's what it will take to get an album done, so be it.
    Agreed...

I imagine that doing it that way takes a bit of the rawness out of creating a disc..as VH did in the early days...when they recorded their albums like concerts...

but...

we all know Classic Van Halen has been dead for a long time...long live CVH...

This is the Frank Sinatra version...and there's nothing wrong with Frank Sinatra. I like Frank Sinatra...listen to Frank Sinatra....but...Frank Sinatra isn't Van Halen.

I'm looking forward to new Roth material...with the Van Halens backing him up....
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
      Commando
      • Apr 2006

If the new songs sound anything like Slam Dunk, Thug Pop, little Texas or Indeedido, the new album should be very good.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
        Agreed...

I imagine that doing it that way takes a bit of the rawness out of creating a disc..as VH did in the early days...when they recorded their albums like concerts...

but...

we all know Classic Van Halen has been dead for a long time...long live CVH...

This is the Frank Sinatra version...and there's nothing wrong with Frank Sinatra. I like Frank Sinatra...listen to Frank Sinatra....but...Frank Sinatra isn't Van Halen.

I'm looking forward to new Roth material...with the Van Halens backing him up....
        Amen, brother.

New Roth material. OH HELL YEAH. Let's hope Ed and Al don't dictate to Dave on what things he should write about in lyrics (like in 1996).

Shut up and play yer guitar, Ed and tell your brother to just shut the fuck up.
        Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 11-17-2010, 02:30 PM.
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

The whole MWM/CGTSNM was a complete clusterfuck....

The entire production was obviously rushed....

DLR almost strained to hit some notes, it was almost embarrassing..... I don't understand how you could arrange a song where you have the singer basically singing out of his natural range....

Plus, the basic riffs of the song were completely Junior Varsity.... I would understand that sort of elementary riff from a band nowadays, not Van Halen....

So in that aspect, they had better get back to their roots....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            The whole MWM/CGTSNM was a complete clusterfuck....

The entire production was obviously rushed....

DLR almost strained to hit some notes, it was almost embarrassing..... I don't understand how you could arrange a song where you have the singer basically singing out of his natural range....

Plus, the basic riffs of the song were completely Junior Varsity.... I would understand that sort of elementary riff from a band nowadays, not Van Halen....

So in that aspect, they had better get back to their roots....
            Indeed, it makes a bit more sense to play to the singer's strengths, rather than force a display of his weaknesses. Look at AC/DC (OK, I'm aware the music isn't even in the same ballpark, construction-wise). Brian Johnson effectively lost most of his voice what...some 15-17 years ago? Since then, aside from the clueless Rick Rubin with the ghastly recorded Ballbreaker album, the band's producers have been sympathetic to Johnson's decaying abilities. Hell, he openly admitted that during the sessions for Black Ice, he was only up to cutting 2, perhaps 3 recorded performances in a day. Still, even at that rate, the album came out apparently quite well, as it's blockbuster sales revealed a short while later.

About the last thing anyone wants to hear now is a pitch-corrected David Lee Roth straining against tunes that are woefully out of his range. But if Edward Van Halen really is playing all of the bass parts himself, this and the reported outside recorded vocals of Roth just may signal disaster. EVH has proven repeatedly that he has little (if any) feel for the instrument, and his playing has shown haste and little development for it's place within his music. So if Ed is patching together an approximation of a Van Halen album, much like he delivered an approximation of the actual band in 2007-08, it would probably be advisable for fans not to set their hopes so high.

And believe me, I'll be more than happy to eat my words if the result should turn out stellar. Yet at this point, given what little evidence and innuendo is available, I'm not expecting much.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

What if this album comes out and it does suck.

Or worse yet what if it's like Chinese Democracy and takes 10 years to complete.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2007

wait for #2 out of ten in the can?
                Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• vaijuju
                  Sniper
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                  What if this album comes out and it does suck.

Impossible with David Lee Roth
                  http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                    wait for #2 out of ten in the can?
                    we could probably get a group rate on renting a wheelchair/handicapped accessible bus......
                    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vaijuju
                      outta thanks

Comment

• Jagermeister
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

He hasn't made a really good record since 1984. Anything is possible. I hope they don't have any of the ever popular "cross over" tunes. You know like a song that makes it big on the country charts or some shit. I wouldn't be surprised by that at all. Or worse yet what if they end up on an episode of Glee? Oh the horror..

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Wonder what the process will be...

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                          Its not uncommon for band members to record their parts separtely and not even in the same state/city.

If that's what it will take to get an album done, so be it.
                          That's pretty much the way most bands do it these days, UNLESS it's a scenario where they're doing live rhythm tracks (even if they're only keeping the bass and drums) with all the band playing in one room for the overall vibe; but with Pro Tools and cutting and pasting as prevalent as it is these days, people trade tracks back and forth like that all the time...everyone in the band keeps their own hours, does it when they feel inspired rather than being "on the clock" in a commercial studio...saves production $$

Of course it also makes it WAY easier to procrastinate without an actual "Producer" standing there cracking the whip, as it were... but I can only think of ONE band of that era that has insisted on doing the "Everyone in a room, 1-take, minimal overdub" approach to specifically NOT sound like every contemporary album done in Pro Tools in recent years...I'd kinda like to see VH take the old-school approach to, but wonder how likely it is...probably also depends on the producer (if any)...
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Hasn't making digital copies of music killed off the record industry? I keep hearing there is no money in selling recorded music anymore so the money is in touring.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Jagermeister
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by jhale667
                              That's pretty much the way most bands do it these days, UNLESS it's a scenario where they're doing live rhythm tracks (even if they're only keeping the bass and drums) with all the band playing in one room for the overall vibe; but with Pro Tools and cutting and pasting as prevalent as it is these days, people trade tracks back and forth like that all the time...everyone in the band keeps their own hours, does it when they feel inspired rather than being "on the clock" in a commercial studio...saves production $$

Of course it also makes it WAY easier to procrastinate without an actual "Producer" standing there cracking the whip, as it were... but I can only think of ONE band of that era that has insisted on doing the "Everyone in a room, 1-take, minimal overdub" approach to specifically NOT sound like every contemporary album done in Pro Tools in recent years...I'd kinda like to see VH take the old-school approach to, but wonder how likely it is...probably also depends on the producer (if any)...
                              I bet they ram it through becasue Ed will want Dave out of his fucking studio. Dave might try to screw his old lady.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Then you must be one of those people that actually think that MWM/CGTSNM are good songs....
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...