X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    I used to think maybe the argument was based on sales of Van Halen albums during the Van Hagar period.

I think 1984 and VH1 continued to sell well into the 1990s and the 10x platinum status for both was awarded in the late 1990s.

Three points against that argument.

1) I still don't think even including those sales as Hagar sales which they clearly weren't, he would have outsold CVH.
    2) Van Hagar played the absolute minimum of Dave era songs live, hardly promoting them and as far as I've seen played them half assed.
    3) CDs - during this whole mid 1980s onwards period we all went out and bought our Van Halen albums again to get CD versions. That was even less to do with Hagar.

Why does any of this matter never mind what Trunk says?

It doesn't really but it's just irritating because you see it so often. All you need to do is make some shit up and next thing because journalists are lazy it ends up in the first paragraph of every interview and it just ends up bugging you.

If in 1986 Eddie Van Halen had decided to claim his original name was Berty Twiddle and he was born in Alaska and that was stated as fact at the start of every article you read even though it matters fuck all, it would be hard not to find yourself saying this 'Berty Twiddle thing is fucking annoying.'

That is exactly why Trunk deserves to catch some shit for it even more so than other reporters/media outlets. The often-repeated "Van Halen went onto even greater commercial success with Sammy Hagar" myth has been propagated for so long that people take it as gospel, and lazy journalists are no exception. Trunk, however, holds himself up as some kind of heavy metal Rain Man in terms of information and statistics.
    I mean, realistically, I don't expect Trunk to call out Sammy Hagar on his bullshit and bash him during a televised interview, but it is useful to get the facts straight.
    In a larger sense, being that Roth is in the band and they are now releasing new material (but even with THAT to one side to be honest), the whole Sam vs. Roth biz is just tiresome. If someone likes both periods of the band - or even Van Halen 3 - good for them.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
      Wait until you do a stint in prison. Oh, you'll get ass fucked in the shower.....but even in prison you won't be subjected to Van Hagar.
      Wow, getting ass-raped in prison, to the soundtrack of Dreams...talk about the Best of Both Worlds...
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

Living in the UK, I have no idea who this tool Eddie Trunk is. O Lucky Me!

Van Halen don't need him, anyway. As DLR once said: 'we're talking about Van Halen ... this ain't fuckin' Warrant'. The second divisioners and Hagars might cosy-up to him, but I hope Diamond Dave - now that's he's back at the helm - doesn't give the guy an interview.

'That Metal Show'? I've been a VH fan of 30-odd years, and I like my share of metal, but I never considered VH a metal band anyways.

The DLR strategy - incl. the genius move of the Cafe Wha gig - has already generated acres more positive press, in the mainstream press, read by many more people, than you'd get from limitless appearances on Trunk's show.

Fuck 'im
        Last edited by VHscraps; 01-08-2012, 11:55 AM.
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• george
          Roadie
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps

Van Halen don't need him, anyway. As DLR once said: 'we're talking about Van Halen ... this ain't fuckin' Warrant'. The second divisioners and Hagars might cosy-up to him, but I hope Diamond Dave - now that's he's back at the helm - doesn't give the guy an interview.

'That Metal Show'? I've been a VH fan of 30-odd years, and I like my share of metal, but I never considered VH a metal band anyways.

The DLR strategy - incl. the genius move of the Cafe Wha gig - has already generated acres more positive press, in the mainstream press, read by many more people, than you'd get from limitless appearances on Trunk's show.

Fuck 'im
          well said.

Comment

• george
            Roadie
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps

Fuck 'im
            well said.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Whorehey
              The last ep I watched I had to endure "Hey Phil Collen, take us out".
              I saw that.

It was surprisingly poor.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Trunk's problem is that he's a fan-boy. Fine for communicating passion for the music, but when it comes to getting the best interviews you have to be able to ask tough question - if you're worshipping the guy you're interviewing, that won't happen.
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

A fanboy of a fanny.

(I think that post works a lot better in Scottish... )

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                    ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by TJMKID
                    Trunk needs to find a plastic surgeon who can suture his lips right to Sammy's nutsack....
                    Preferably a crazy one.Perhaps this guy

I hate eddie trunk
                    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• tod
                      Roadie
                      • Mar 2004

He worships KISS. It's like apples & oranges cept Eddie is drinking Tang.

Originally posted by binnie
                      Trunk's problem is that he's a fan-boy. Fine for communicating passion for the music, but when it comes to getting the best interviews you have to be able to ask tough question - if you're worshipping the guy you're interviewing, that won't happen.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

I'm still trying to figure out how this fat slob even got popular in the first place. Has entertainment sunk so low that people tune in to this guy to hear what the fuck he thinks?!??
                        It was only amusing when Wayne and Garth did a show like this on a public access channel, and even then, it got old quick.

Pick up an instrument and play some fuckin' music instead of making a living by sitting on your fat ass talking about other peoples music.

His opinion is no more important than yours, mine, or anyone elses.

Fuckin' loser!
                        Fuck Eddie Trunk!!

Comment

• tod
                          Roadie
                          • Mar 2004

He on Sirius radio during West Coast rush hour so you hear him and Don Dokken giggling about Don's flatulence problems in between his praises of KISS and phone calls from Tuna Fish, Wyoming asking when the next RATT tour is. It's hysterically retro as if you've gone back to high school and the only folks left are the longhairs and metal heads (not in a bad way..but not in a cool Van Halen way neither!)

Originally posted by hambon4lif
                          I'm still trying to figure out how this fat slob even got popular in the first place. Has entertainment sunk so low that people tune in to this guy to hear what the fuck he thinks?!??
                          It was only amusing when Wayne and Garth did a show like this on a public access channel, and even then, it got old quick.

Pick up an instrument and play some fuckin' music instead of making a living by sitting on your fat ass talking about other peoples music.

His opinion is no more important than yours, mine, or anyone elses.

Fuckin' loser!
                          Fuck Eddie Trunk!!

Comment

• hambon4lif
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by tod
                            He on Sirius radio during West Coast rush hour so you hear him and Don Dokken giggling about Don's flatulence problems in between his praises of KISS and phone calls from Tuna Fish, Wyoming asking when the next RATT tour is. It's hysterically retro as if you've gone back to high school and the only folks left are the longhairs and metal heads (not in a bad way..but not in a cool Van Halen way neither!)
                            It's just that when it comes to this kind of format, I'm more inclined to listen to Alice Cooper or Dee Snider on their radio shows because at least they've made a contribution to the music they speak of.
                            What the hell has Trunk ever done that's any different than what we used to do when we sat around getting stoned with our friends when we were fifteen fuckin' years old? He makes a buck by being stuck in an arrested adolescence. An overgrown man-child.

I could "Stump The Trunk" with just one word.....LIFE!

Comment

• tod
                              Roadie
                              • Mar 2004

To be fair, he got Ace Frehley to revive his career. from http://www.eddietrunk.com/index.cfm/...ent/pid/400026

one of the first employees of the newly formed Megaforce/Atlantic Records. Eddie went on to work for Megaforce (while still at DHA part time) from 1986-1990, eventually becoming Vice President of the label at 25 years old. He earned executive producer credit on several projects and worked with bands such as Anthrax, Raven, TT Quick, Manowar, Overkill, King's X, Prophet, Icon and Ace Frehley, the same Ace that played on that great record called Destroyer more than 10 years earlier! Eddie had talked Johnny Z (who never was a Kiss fan) into finding Ace and reviving his career. Together they signed Ace to a solo deal, releasing 4 CDs including the best selling Frehley's Comet debut. Ace and Eddie remain close friends to this day, evident by the now legendary appearences he makes on Trunk's radio show on a regular basis.
                              Originally posted by hambon4lif
                              What the hell has Trunk ever done that's any different than what we used to do when we sat around getting stoned with our friends when we were fifteen fuckin' years old? He makes a buck by being stuck in an arrested adolescence. An overgrown man-child.

I could "Stump The Trunk" with just one word.....LIFE!

Comment

• Unchainme
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Apr 2005

Alice Cooper's show was fun when I had heard it.

He seems to like the deep cuts and even played "Me Wise Magic" once when I was listening.

Trunk I never really dug. Seemed to be just a fanboy as things were said.
                                Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

Working...