Album Sales predictions-What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Haha...

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ZahZoo
      I guess there's one aspect to Van Halen album sales that the lack of mainstream media advertising effected most... tapping into the younger audience.

When I look at the core VH fan base with the average age of late 30's to darn near into the 60's. I don't think this is an age group that spends much on new music releases anymore. Outside of my musician circles, most the folks I know just don't have a music centric focus in their lives other than maybe a radio playing in their car or boat. They're more focused on jobs, paying their mortgage and consumed raising their kids or experiencing the arrival of grand children... rather than which old rock band put out a new record.

Clearly the video releases supporting ADKOT had virtually no appeal factor to kids in their teens or 20's... that age group is inundated with flashy, bright, fast paced action in your face media blitzes... not old guys clowning around, lipsyncing in black and white stop gap recording doing Charlie Chaplinesque ball room dancing moves in farmer's overalls... Makes me feel old and geeky just typing that shit...
      So true. Alot of people that grew up on the 80's bands just plain grew up themselves. I grew up and am still in touch with alot of people that lived for that shit in 1987, but couldn't really care less anymore. Sure they still listen to music but their not posting at the Roth Army ! & they don't run to the record store anymore to see whats new on the scene. They listen to their old shit or the radio. And the fact that classic rock stations don't play new songs by old bands after a month doesn't help. They would rather play Hot For Teacher. But the sisters should let Dave be Dave. It's sad to see him not be the guy he once was. If he grew up a little thats cool. But let him get out their and do some interviews at the least. Hell one of the few I read was in Classic Rock. Thats not even a American mag ! Alot of people stay away from Van Halen I think because the recent years have been so screwed up. Ed say's it's all about the music, but doesn't release a album for what, 15 years ? Whatever.
      Last edited by 78/84 guy; 09-24-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Halen High
        Commando
        • Jul 2004

I guess there's one aspect to Van Halen album sales that the lack of mainstream media advertising effected most... tapping into the younger audience.

When I look at the core VH fan base with the average age of late 30's to darn near into the 60's. I don't think this is an age group that spends much on new music releases anymore. Outside of my musician circles, most the folks I know just don't have a music centric focus in their lives other than maybe a radio playing in their car or boat. They're more focused on jobs, paying their mortgage and consumed raising their kids or experiencing the arrival of grand children... rather than which old rock band put out a new record.

Clearly the video releases supporting ADKOT had virtually no appeal factor to kids in their teens or 20's... that age group is inundated with flashy, bright, fast paced action in your face media blitzes... not old guys clowning around, lipsyncing in black and white stop gap recording doing Charlie Chaplinesque ball room dancing moves in farmer's overalls... Makes me feel old and geeky just typing that shit...
        I thought the video for Tattoo was okay and the video for STW was much better. It reminded me of the video for Ozzy's Crazy Train. But I agree...their appeal is limited to Van Halen's core fanbase. With Dave back, I was hoping for a little more effort in the video department. They could have used actors and come up with some really cool stuff to fit the music's storylines, or if they wanted to feature the band they could have recruited a few hundred younger people to come along for the video shoots, show the band preparing to 'go onstage', the director tells the fans to go nuts and you have a couple of clips filled with energy, colour and atmosphere. They could have even used animation for one of them (as Velvet Revolver did a few years ago). Any of these options would have generated far more interest on youtube with younger rock fans curious about the new VH album. Bit of a lost opportunity really...
        Last edited by Halen High; 09-25-2012, 05:37 AM.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

In terms of a video, why not recruit some of the famous people who are fans? So the Foo Fighters, Charlie Sheen, Zappa, etc.

That could actiually be a hoot...not sure how it woudl look exactly, but Dave could make it work
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Halen High
            I thought the video for Tattoo was okay and the video for STW was much better.
            A little more production quality and this version of Tattoo would have worked better...

Van Halen - Tattoo (Fan Video) from Michael Wood on Vimeo.
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Halen High
              Commando
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
              In terms of a video, why not recruit some of the famous people who are fans? So the Foo Fighters, Charlie Sheen, Zappa, etc.

That could actiually be a hoot...not sure how it woudl look exactly, but Dave could make it work
              Great idea for the next one. How about out a video for China Town with all those guys playing roles, to kick of 2013 and the next leg of the tour.

Comment

• Halen High
                Commando
                • Jul 2004

A little more production quality and this version of Tattoo would have worked better...

Van Halen - Tattoo (Fan Video) from Michael Wood on Vimeo.
                Yep - that was better. Perhaps letting fans have fun with the videos was the whole idea.

Comment

• minkahed
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Halen High
                  Yep - that was better. Perhaps letting fans have fun with the videos was the whole idea.
                  according to an article I just read in Billboard, the new album has surpassed the 800,000 mark in sales, which qualifies it for an instant GOLD record !!!!

Boo-ya !!!!
                  Hot dog and a shake

Comment

• Zing!
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by minkahed
                    according to an article I just read in Billboard, the new album has surpassed the 800,000 mark in sales, which qualifies it for an instant GOLD record !
                    Is that North American sales or total? I thought 500,000 units was gold?
                    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by minkahed
                      according to an article I just read in Billboard, the new album has surpassed the 800,000 mark in sales, which qualifies it for an instant GOLD record !!!!

Boo-ya !!!!
                      If true, the album could reach platinum before too long, particularly with a decent amount of concert dates outside of the US.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• So this is love
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

whats platinum these days? a million?
                        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by So this is love
                          whats platinum these days? a million?
                          I think gold is still 500,000 and platinum is still a million.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Terry
                            I think gold is still 500,000 and platinum is still a million.
                            That's what it used to be. I'm not sure if and or how they count downloads as sales. If it's at 800,000 in the U.S. I would think the news desk would have said it went gold finally. So I wonder if thats the world wide sales. If they made money off it I would think we will get a new album in the next year. Hope they pick a better first single next time !

Comment

• vaijuju
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                              That's what it used to be. I'm not sure if and or how they count downloads as sales. If it's at 800,000 in the U.S. I would think the news desk would have said it went gold finally. So I wonder if thats the world wide sales. If they made money off it I would think we will get a new album in the next year. Hope they pick a better first single next time !
                              ADKOT sales 835 000 in the World! more 411 000 in the US! everything count ! download too ! if you buy 10 single tattoo for example, they count for 1 album!!
                              Last edited by vaijuju; 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM.
                              http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

Good post, bad example...

Comment

Working...