Album Sales predictions-What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vaijuju
    ADKOT sales 835 000 in the World! more 411 000 in the US! everything count ! download too !
    Now THAT is interesting.

I was operating from the assumption (not sure why I made it, but whatever) that the current roughly 400k US / 800k "rest of the world" figures were actual, tangible, physical 'albums' (cd's and limited vinyl - are cassettes even produced anymore?), and these figures DIDN'T include downloads people paid for.

Was the initial premise of the thread inclusive of online downloads?

If so, and if the current figures are including these, I must say I'm a bit surprised all of that hasn't broke a million yet. Agree with others in the thread that in a larger sense it doesn't matter, because as long as there is an album to buy and it is good stuff, all I need to know is that I sure-as-shit am gonna buy it...

But still...really? ADKOT hasn't sold a million of the various sale units combined yet? I would have thought, despite the changing nature of the record biz and the (for a rock band) advanced age of Van Halen, a million could be reached certainly within a year. Maybe someone on the thread got it right in that cutting the tour short hurt sales in a big way; it wasn't a lack of promotion at least from where I sit, because when Van Halen was coming to town there were plenty of tv ads announcing the show and the new album with the ADKOT logo full-screen.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• vaijuju
      Sniper
      • Jan 2008

In Japan Van Halen finishes up the year
      in the Japan top 100 at
      89 Van Halen A different Kind of Truth sales 79,517.
      It's a pretty good showing.If they had toured they might have gotten to gold.
      Might still get there next year.
      There are very few western artists on that top 100 so they did well just by getting in there.
      Others:
      92 Green Day Uno 77,602
      83 MDNA Madonna 81,460
      75 One Direction 88,536
      74 LMFAO 89,086
      44 Carly Rae Jepsen 134,717
      35 Adele 165,034

Top 5 albums"
      # 01: Mr.Children – 2005 – 2010 (1,170,298)
      # 02: Mr.Children – 2001 – 2005 (1,105,080)
      # 03: AKB48 – 1830m (1,029,954)
      # 04: Arashi – Popcorn (847,671)
      # 05: EXILE / EXILE ATSUSHI – EXILE JAPAN/Solo (767,274
      (post by 75 KL on vhlinks, last year)
      http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry
        Now THAT is interesting.

I was operating from the assumption (not sure why I made it, but whatever) that the current roughly 400k US / 800k "rest of the world" figures were actual, tangible, physical 'albums' (cd's and limited vinyl - are cassettes even produced anymore?), and these figures DIDN'T include downloads people paid for.

Was the initial premise of the thread inclusive of online downloads?

If so, and if the current figures are including these, I must say I'm a bit surprised all of that hasn't broke a million yet. Agree with others in the thread that in a larger sense it doesn't matter, because as long as there is an album to buy and it is good stuff, all I need to know is that I sure-as-shit am gonna buy it...

But still...really? ADKOT hasn't sold a million of the various sale units combined yet? I would have thought, despite the changing nature of the record biz and the (for a rock band) advanced age of Van Halen, a million could be reached certainly within a year. Maybe someone on the thread got it right in that cutting the tour short hurt sales in a big way; it wasn't a lack of promotion at least from where I sit, because when Van Halen was coming to town there were plenty of tv ads announcing the show and the new album with the ADKOT logo full-screen.

And the moral of this story is...

Don't wait 27 years to get your vocalist back...

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          I guess there's one aspect to Van Halen album sales that the lack of mainstream media advertising effected most... tapping into the younger audience.

When I look at the core VH fan base with the average age of late 30's to darn near into the 60's. I don't think this is an age group that spends much on new music releases anymore. Outside of my musician circles, most the folks I know just don't have a music centric focus in their lives other than maybe a radio playing in their car or boat. They're more focused on jobs, paying their mortgage and consumed raising their kids or experiencing the arrival of grand children... rather than which old rock band put out a new record.

This is all very true. Also it seems that as you get older many people still only listen to the stuff they liked when they were young. I believe that Whitesnake and Ratt have both brought out albums in the last couple of years which are as good as anything they did back in the day. I say believe because I haven't got around to listening to them yet.

Here is a mad little factoid someone could go and work out. Am I right in estimating that more people in the US went to see them live on the tour than bought the album?

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm actually due my first royalty check from Interscope next month so I'll be able to give a first hand insight into how disappointing that can be.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

That crap made money ??

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I seriously doubt it which was my point Mr Grumpy.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Maybe you'll owe them money, like Van Halen...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

We'll make back the costs from the live shows.

At the current rate in around 20 months...

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

I framed my first ... Its amazing how charitable family and friends can be
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

it was that or buy a stamp lol

Comment

• Heater
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by FORD
                          BOV1 sold 2 million copies on the strength of just two new songs, so I can't imagine the new album selling any less than that.

And that's my pessimistic outlook. My optimistic side says it does twice that much. Of course the band can help those sales figures by touring outside of North America. We know they were willing to play in Australia before that festival went to Hell in a handbasket. So that's a good sign for the rest of the planet, I guess......
                          The days of the mghty vh selling millions of albums are over, its not a defeat, its just that the ship sailed a LONG time ago. They dont rule the world as they once did, those of us who were there when they did know this. Instead of obsessing over units sold and chart position, just enjoy the ride.....its not in the fast lane with the top down anymore but the radio still sounds good, vocals are a little screachy in parts, but what the hell, we're still singing along,

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

A good VH album not being tossed off using old, off-the-shelf riffs could go multi-platinum easily in today's shit market, especially supported by a world tour. They need to get Anthony back in the fold, his absence still has a ripple effect from the hardcore fan to the more casual and often somewhat younger audience as reflected in comments made by that Black Keys guy.

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Describing ADKOT as "tossed off using old, off-the-shelf riffs" is an insult...

That album couldn't be any better, minus the shitty mastering and Tattoo...

Comment

• vandeleur
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Sep 2009

A proper tour , properly promoted album release . Actual videos for the songs .
                                Pity they didnt have someone in the band who liked to talk and who would be willing to invest a bit of his energy into promoting said album. Somebody with a bit of creative flair ..........................

Daves roth show is better put togther than the videos for the singles ...
                                Actually better track selection for single release would be a start.

Comment

Working...