Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

This is from a guy who has a pretty nice yacht berthed at Newport Beach, CA. I remember Ted Nugent saying he makes more money now as an independent than he ever did on a big label. He does his own booking and rents the venue himself. You have to have talent, you have to be business smart, and you have to work hard. Being a stoned, drunk baffoon breaking all the rules is actually an image that has no substance to it. It's a business and you have to be on top of it. I think the big trap many fall into is they want to be the big guy and the record labels exploit that one if you are exploitable.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• kwame k
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by fourthcoming
      In Dave's book, he makes it seem like Gene was out to pluck Ed and Al from VH....which is believable given the state of Kiss at that time. In Simmon's book he states Ed came to him in 1981-82 asking to join Kiss and Gene told him to stay with VH. Then again, Gene also said in his book how close he was to having the Beatles reunite to sing back up on his 1978 solo record....he said everyone was in except Ringo.
      I've heard the same story about Gene wanting Ed and Ed saying it was him and Al or nothing.

It's hard to believe anything that comes out of Gene's mouth.......

The Beatles.....really Gene?

I've heard of crazier things but my BS detector is going off!
      Originally posted by vandeleur
      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• SNIPER
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
        I've heard the same story about Gene wanting Ed and Ed saying it was him and Al or nothing.

It's hard to believe anything that comes out of Gene's mouth.......

The Beatles.....really Gene?

I've heard of crazier things but my BS detector is going off!
        Its almost like the Megadeth story. Dime telling Dave to bring in Vin or it's nothing. Thank god that didn't happen.

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

No shit!

I couldn't see that working at all.
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• fourthcoming

Yea......sometimes I guess you have to take what Gene says with a grain of salt. I have heard Gene and Paul say in numerous interviews that they idolized the Beatles. Would have been amazing to see them reunite for anything, let alone backing vocals on a Gene Simmons solo tune. Makes me think that perhaps in Gene's head and his head alone, he was close to having them re-unite for backing vocals on one of his tunes.

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

Ki$$ was the biggest band on Earth so who knows!

From what I've seen and read.....the Beatles had patched things up by 72/73?

They might of done it for a laugh!

Comment

• fourthcoming

You never know....and I think your right about the Beatles....what do I know...it's not like I was there or anything, but a few years ago I bought an interesting bootleg from my record store guy. It's called A Toot and a snore in '74.....and it's called that cuz it's obvious from hearing the conversation that there was plenty of blow being passed around. Anyway, it was a recorded jam.....not anything great quite frankly cuz Lennon sounds completely rail blasted....but it's a jam session with Stevie wonder, Lennon, McCartney and a few other guys. It's supposedly the last time Lennon and McCartney ever played music together.

Comment

• redozzman
                  Full On Cocktard
                  • Feb 2005

For some reason I don't buy that.

The SNL gig yes " Paul McCartney has commented in interviews that he and John Lennon were watching the SNL broadcast from Lennon's apartment in the Dakota on the night when Michaels made his offer for the Beatles to reunite. McCartney reported that he and Lennon briefly toyed with the idea of going down to the NBC studios and taking Michaels up on the offer"

Comment

• fourthcoming

wow, I had never even heard about the whole SNL thing

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                      You never know....and I think your right about the Beatles....what do I know...it's not like I was there or anything, but a few years ago I bought an interesting bootleg from my record store guy. It's called A Toot and a snore in '74.....and it's called that cuz it's obvious from hearing the conversation that there was plenty of blow being passed around. Anyway, it was a recorded jam.....not anything great quite frankly cuz Lennon sounds completely rail blasted....but it's a jam session with Stevie wonder, Lennon, McCartney and a few other guys. It's supposedly the last time Lennon and McCartney ever played music together.
                      Yep, Chef Craig posted it here a few times, IIRC.

Those boys were fucked to the gills

Comment

• kwame k
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by redozzman
                        For some reason I don't buy that.

The SNL gig yes " Paul McCartney has commented in interviews that he and John Lennon were watching the SNL broadcast from Lennon's apartment in the Dakota on the night when Michaels made his offer for the Beatles to reunite. McCartney reported that he and Lennon briefly toyed with the idea of going down to the NBC studios and taking Michaels up on the offer"
                        Without a doubt it's a fact.........the SNL thing!

Yeah, the Gene thing sounds like utter BS to me but with the amount of drugs those guys were doing back then....anything is possible!

Comment

• SNIPER
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jun 2004

Yes, I have heard this before.

Comment

• bantonelli
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Nov 2004

Gene Simmons has that Spammy narcisstic tone: I, I, me, me...I discovered VH, credit to me, I, I.

Read DLR's "Crazy from the Heat". He explains how Gene wanted to hire EVH, which would have broken up =VH=.... possibly Gene's intent. DLR was not happy with Gene's intentions.
                            "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• bantonelli
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Nov 2004

...Also to Dave's credit... the band stuck with the name VAN HALEN.... Dave has been the band's marketing genius from Day 1. Gene Simmons gets NO CREDIT for Van Halen's success...period.

Gene had an agenda.... why would he want Van Halen to reap the success and in direct competition with KISS at that time? Gene's only interest was getting Eddie into KISS, if I recall from CFTH and Dave gave Eddie an ultimatum... go with Gene or stick with Van Halen as a band.
                              Last edited by bantonelli; 03-07-2012, 05:26 PM.
                              "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• TJMKID
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by bantonelli
                                ...Also to Dave's credit... the band stuck with the name VAN HALEN.... Dave has been the band's marketing genius from Day 1. Gene Simmons gets NO CREDIT for Van Halen's success...period.

Gene had an agenda.... why would he want Van Halen to reap the success and in direct competition with KISS at that time? Gene's only interest was getting Eddie into KISS, if I recall from CFTH and Dave gave Eddie an ultimatum... go with Gene or stick with Van Halen as a band.

EXACTA-MUNDO !!!

I'm not buying into the "Gene is such a nice guy because he wanted to help young bands get signed" bullshit. Gene only cares about one thing ---- his bank account. Getting pussy is a very distant second.

Gene had $$$ signs in his eyes when he saw VH playing the Starwood. Guaranteed he would've have weaseled his way into a $1 million "finder's fee" if he actually got VH signed to a label. When the record label search didnt work out for him ---- he decided to try and steal away Eddie for his own selfish gains. Eddie thought about it and decided not to join KISS in 1981 ---- so Gene fabricates story about telling EVH to "stay in Van Halen".

Gene is the ultimate example of GREED and NARCISSISM in the music biz. If he didnt become a rock star, he would've been a Ponzi schemer like Bernie Madoff. He's a pile of shit.

Comment

Working...