Wolfgang Van Halen Is the Youngest Biggest Rock Star Alive Read more: http://www.esq

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by CROWBAR
    It's because he couldn't control everything like he can at 5150. He can't stand it when he can't. I applaud Dave for making sure they recorded away from there.
    I'm surprised Dave pulled it off, quite frankly.

With all due respect to the Toastmaster, he needed this more than Ed did. Ed could have pulled the "do it my way or fuck off" card and Dave might not have had a choice.

Either Dave's persuasiveness has become less bombastic, or Ed has mellowed significantly.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by atomicpnk47
      Don't care how many band members have Van Halen as last names. No Dave. No Van Halen.
      And that's the way it will end, in my opinion.

There is no way that the public would put up with another "singer controversy" within Van Halen. The only two singers who grab an audience for Van Halen are the hardcore purist Rothites like us, and the pussified-beach-bum-Jimmy-Buffett-parrotheaded Hagar fans.

No Van Halen fans are young enough to have any interest in starting back at square one.
      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• loucap81
        Head Fluffer
        • Apr 2012

Completely agree and don't forget that no concert promoter will deal with any singer but DLR or Hagar either. And actually I question if they'd even accept Hagar given how poorly the 2004 tour was received.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by fryingdutchman

With all due respect to the Toastmaster, he needed this more than Ed did. Ed could have pulled the "do it my way or fuck off" card and Dave might not have had a choice.

Either Dave's persuasiveness has become less bombastic, or Ed has mellowed significantly.
          I too am surprised and impressed that Dave got them out of 5150 for this album. I think Ed did it more for Wolfgang, than he did Dave. And it is obvious Wolfgang knows which version of VH is the one that will sell, at this point in time.

I believe Ed will hook back up with Hagar. What he said in that one interview about that era of songs being on vacation, or whatever he said, leads me to believe he will revisit that era eventually. Who knows, Wolfgang might want to do that after he does this one. I doubt it will be anytime soon, but I do believe it will happen. Unfortunately.

I would love to see this band forge ahead with all the stuff we missed over the last 30 years. More original stuff with Dave. I'd love to hear more acoustic stuff with this band. I'd like them to get more bluesy on some new tunes. Even more cover tunes. Nobody covers a song like Van Halen does.

Does anyone else like the DVD that came with ADKOT as much as I do?

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by atomicpnk47
            Don't care how many band members have Van Halen as last names. No Dave. No Van Halen.

BAM!

And they know it too.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• loucap81
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Von Halen
              I believe Ed will hook back up with Hagar. What he said in that one interview about that era of songs being on vacation, or whatever he said, leads me to believe he will revisit that era eventually. Who knows, Wolfgang might want to do that after he does this one. I doubt it will be anytime soon, but I do believe it will happen. Unfortunately.
              I don't feel this way at all, if for no other reason, I don't think Hagar would be interested anymore. Especially without Michael Anthony involved in the band. But I also don't feel that the fan support would be there to justify booking arenas, and Ed doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's cool with playing smaller venues to finish out his career.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by loucap81
                And actually I question if they'd even accept Hagar given how poorly the 2004 tour was received.
                They wouldn't if Ed was still in the condition he was in in 2004. But he's not. As much as I want them to act like the Hagar era never existed, I doubt they will forever. As much as I hate to say it, Ed was much more of a problem in 2004 than Clichegar was.

Promoters wouldn't touch the 2004 version of Ed no matter who was fronting the band. Now I think they would no matter who was out front. Remember, there are still a ton of people that believe Ed is the whole band, and don't take into consideration the chemistry and magic that Dave brings to the game. We here get it. The general population doesn't.

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman

2003 I would have totally agreed with you. But Eddie really needed to prove he could still play and was alive. He took a lot...A LOT of ridicule when he was at his worst. That horrible red carpet pic of him was EVERYWHERE. Every mistake of 2004 & 2007 haunting him. Every out of tune JUMP they played nearly viral on the internet. The greatest guitarist ever could not go out as a has been or wash up. He had to come back & prove why he is the king.

And man did he ever.

Dave proved himself on the 2007/2008 tour in motherfucking spades. he was the best I have ever seen him. Even better than he is on this tour. He sounded near perfect almost every night and was just insanely good. Nah, Dave didn't need this as much as Eddie did.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• So this is love
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

I sincerely hope Ed and especially Wolf (since he appears to run the show nowadays) will not insist on revisiting the Hagshit years...I swear I will pull the plug on Van Halen for good if he does or even considers it...There is absolutely no Van Halen without DLR as a frontman. Case close.
                    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• loucap81
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Apr 2012

They wouldn't if Ed was still in the condition he was in in 2004. But he's not. As much as I want them to act like the Hagar era never existed, I doubt they will forever. As much as I hate to say it, Ed was much more of a problem in 2004 than Clichegar was.

Promoters wouldn't touch the 2004 version of Ed no matter who was fronting the band. Now I think they would no matter who was out front. Remember, there are still a ton of people that believe Ed is the whole band, and don't take into consideration the chemistry and magic that Dave brings to the game. We here get it. The general population doesn't.
                      If someone else fronts the band besides DLR anymore (that includes Hagar) then you're looking at 5,000-7,000 seat venues at best. No more arenas. I think Ed's ego is too big to go that route.

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I don't feel this way at all, if for no other reason, I don't think Hagar would be interested anymore. Especially without Michael Anthony involved in the band. But I also don't feel that the fan support would be there to justify booking arenas, and Ed doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's cool with playing smaller venues to finish out his career.
                        I don't believe the MA thing would be an issue. I don't believe Clichegar has that much integrity. I believe he'd sell out MA for the payday, in a heartbeat. And don't kid yourself. With a healthy Ed, and a tight band playing like they are now, they'd be playing in arenas, even with the Round Rocker out front.

I just hope they continue to get along well enough to keep Wolfgang and Ed from even considering going backwards now.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

If someone else fronts the band besides DLR anymore (that includes Hagar) then you're looking at 5,000-7,000 seat venues at best.
                          Dude, that's really pushing it...

Comment

• So this is love
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2012

I too am surprised and impressed that Dave got them out of 5150 for this album. I think Ed did it more for Wolfgang, than he did Dave. And it is obvious Wolfgang knows which version of VH is the one that will sell, at this point in time.

I would love to see this band forge ahead with all the stuff we missed over the last 30 years. More original stuff with Dave. I'd love to hear more acoustic stuff with this band. I'd like them to get more bluesy on some new tunes. Even more cover tunes. Nobody covers a song like Van Halen does.

Does anyone else like the DVD that came with ADKOT as much as I do?
                            Exactly...I would prefer they go acoustic than anything that has to do with red.
                            Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

With a healthy Ed, and a tight band playing like they are now, they'd be playing in arenas, even with the Round Rocker out front.
                              Dude, I should put that in my fucking signature!

But I'm a nice guy...

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by sadaist
                                2003 I would have totally agreed with you. But Eddie really needed to prove he could still play and was alive. He took a lot...A LOT of ridicule when he was at his worst. That horrible red carpet pic of him was EVERYWHERE. Every mistake of 2004 & 2007 haunting him. Every out of tune JUMP they played nearly viral on the internet. The greatest guitarist ever could not go out as a has been or wash up. He had to come back & prove why he is the king.

And man did he ever.

Dave proved himself on the 2007/2008 tour in motherfucking spades. he was the best I have ever seen him. Even better than he is on this tour. He sounded near perfect almost every night and was just insanely good. Nah, Dave didn't need this as much as Eddie did.
                                I hear ya, Sada...but I was referencing the new record more than the tour. It was a long time for both Ed and Dave since they turned out any new material that the public-at-large found relevant or acceptable....but Dave's drought was longer than Ed's.

They both needed to prove that they were still the kings of their respective kingdoms...and they have both done it with flying colors.

More than anything, they BOTH needed the new record because there would have been low tolerance for another "greatest hits" tour this year that simply mimicked what they did in '07/'08. Us diehards would have been all in, but the casual to moderate fans would have taken a pass.

Comment

Working...