Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clownsauce
    Roth Army Recruit
    • May 2007

I downloaded a copy of this (fiber optic internet service is a wonderful thing) so I could skim through and look for interesting parts without having to really watch the whole thing. I agree with what others have said about this being Dave putting himself out there, showing folks the effort and time he puts in, and maybe showing some things that aren't going to make the stage at a VH show.

Interesting things (to me, anyway):
    • The quality is amazing. This video could have been just as long but 1/2 or 1/4 the size. Instead we're getting full HD.
    • There are at least 5 venues: the place seen at the beginning of the video (I'm assuming it's the MojoDojo), the tour bus, Henson Studios (I believe), what looks like a New York (I think) loft or studio space where I think some of the "Dave explains the songs" stuff was shot, and another small study-looking room (at his ranch, maybe?).
    • There's a full-color section (no doubt color-corrected by the man himself) starting partway through #46 and going to #48 or #49 where he's wearing stage gear. And at one point drinking a huge evil-looking Starbucks drink.
    • In the color bit you can tell the computer to the left in the early parts is a Mac. I'm guessing at least some of this was edited/assembled on it.
    • It looked to me like some of the earlier video pieces from #1-10 are repeated around #40-45. What's interesting is that you seem to get more variation in the audio in those spots (early on in one of them he's jiving stuff like, "Russell! What do you have in your mouth? Is that a chicken?")
    • Russell shows up at one point on the tour bus, trundles over, scratches, and then does a hilarious flat-out flop before deciding he's probably not in a safe spot and vacating.
    • There are a couple of spots where it looks like Dave's singing something else; I guess he probably wasn't dancing to Love Train every time. I would imagine the video has been adjusted to suit, but it's been done very well.
    • While it's clear that much of the footage is shot with a stationary camera, in at least some of the "loft" sections (somewhere in the 30's, I think) he's being filmed by a team of two with a dolly -- they do a full 360 around him and you can see them in the mirrors.
    • Speaking of mirrors, the wall behind the camera in the first location is almost certainly covered in them; so he's watching himself the whole time (makes sense, really).
    • I'm 36 and I would kill to look as good in a t-shirt as Dave does at near 60.

I don't know how much formal dance training Dave has or whether the physical control is simply part and parcel of the years of yoga and martial arts training, but he's got great form and control. And he seems to be able to go just as well in workboots on a concrete floor as he does in the sneakers on the waxed hardwood. I see echoes of a lot of things, from the Nicholas Brothers forward through to modern dance (mind, I'm not exactly an expert, so YMMV). A couple of times you see him definitely digging a move he just did and repeating it a few times. There are also a couple of spots where he almost seems to be doing some truly modern urban stuff that reminded me of the slow-motionesque stuff done by Les Twins (YouTube them, they're insane), but that might just be a function of the editing.

As for, "Dave looks gay doing this stuff," the best response I can think of to that is that older folks used to say the same thing about Dave's style and moves in the eighties. If that's all you can think, then guess what? You just turned into your Dad. I guarantee if you were to pull out a few of these moves convincingly in the right place you'd have no trouble getting female attention.

There is plenty of fun to be had watching this and looking for stuff. And with no shows going on right now, why not?

Comment

• envy_me
      Swedish Love Pump
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Coyote
      If Jesus is gonna just ramble for nearly a half an hour, he'd better bust out a stripper or two to keep me awake...
      Would it be okey if Dave is the stripper that Jesus busts out? A compromise
      The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• Calderone
        Commando
        • Jan 2004

i think Dave has been taken dancing lessons of different kinds since '95 or so

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Coyote
          If Jesus is gonna just ramble for nearly a half an hour, he'd better bust out a stripper or two to keep me awake...
          Just his preliminary apologies would take hours...

Comment

• Jetstream
            Foot Soldier
            • Dec 2011

Fact, facebook records the likes and amount someone is talked about on a chart system. This video skyrocketed the amount people are talking about him on the social network if you compare his graph from past months since the tour started. Mission accomplished Dave and only Dave could simply run a video 50 times and achieve this feat. This is why I dig the Diamond One
            I got lost in the...

Comment

• gbranton
              Veteran
              • Aug 2005

It's because he's got charasma.
              "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Angel
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
                It's because he's got charasma.
                That's only when he's wearing chaps, the rest if the time he has charisma.
                "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• envy_me
                  Swedish Love Pump
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Dec 2010

I LOVE the dog coming in in the video number 2 He was adorable
                  Dave has Adidas shoes in that vid :-) he knows what's the best.
                  Last edited by envy_me; 09-15-2012, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• fraroc
                    Commando
                    • Jun 2012

Every time I watch this video, one thought crosses my mind.

He is in AMAZING shape for a 56 year old man.
                    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• envy_me
                      Swedish Love Pump
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by fraroc
                      Every time I watch this video, one thought crosses my mind.

He is in AMAZING shape for a 56 year old man.
                      He is in FANTASTIC shape. Almost a little too skinny. And WHERE does he get all this energy from? And waving that stick next to that huge TV, very brave. He must know what he's doing.

Comment

• envy_me
                        Swedish Love Pump
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Dec 2010

Look! My finger is on Daves penis.

Last edited by envy_me; 09-15-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Angel
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by envy_me
                          Look! My finger is on Daves penis.
                          No, your finger is on a tv screen. What are you.........12?
                          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                            ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Never got round to actually watching the vid.Does anything actually happen or is it just dancing?
                            I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                            Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• envy_me
                              Swedish Love Pump
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
                              Never got round to actually watching the vid.Does anything actually happen or is it just dancing?
                              It's just dancing. Kinda fun when you're in the mood for it.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                                ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Think I'll pass for tonight
                                I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                                Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

Working...