Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Cayenne pepper didn't cause diverticulitis, but if he already had that condition, and had inflamed and possibly bleeding areas in his intestines, then cayenne might have well aggravated it.

As for the lemon juice/cayenne/maple syrup thing, I was drinking that back in the 80s. Any sort of juice fast will help your body detox - not because the juice itself is magical, but because a lot of toxins come from processed food. So if you don't eat any food. Where the cayenne comes in is that it makes you sweat a little bit, and if you can eliminate toxins through the pores, it's a good thing. Taking some natural supplements that support the kidneys and liver is a better idea though, because (as Sesh mentioned) those organs are the ones that take the trash out, and if they aren't working correctly, it's going to be hard to get rid of it. Can't sweat it all out.... even if you spend a lot of time in a sauna/hot tub/sweat lodge/ or one of those sweat suits like Martin Lawrence almost killed himself in.

Given Ed's history with alcohol, I'm guessing his liver and kidneys probably are not in optimum condition.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
      recently at 5150....

No that's an old picture from the recording of OU812...

Comment

• private parts
        Sniper
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        Oh OK, so this MUST be true then....
        Actually when I read it it sounds like bullshit. I'm just saying.....
        sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
          What fucks me up about all of this is the idea that a bottle of Mrs. Butterworth's can be used to cleanse anything. Seriously, what in the fuck is the thinking behind this? Lemons and cayenne? Cool, works well when baking fish on a grill. Mix 'em with pancake syrup and water? Sounds like something I'd concoct around 3 AM to put on some toast slices after spending the evening snorting vodka and drinking cocaine sometime in 1989.
          Definitely NOT Mrs Butterworth. Which is mostly high fructose corn poison and artificial flavorings.

It has to be REAL maple syrup for this recipe. Though I would guess agave syrup would work just as well. Minimally processed liquid sugar, in other words.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Just months after releasing his first album with David Lee Roth in almost 30 years, Eddie Van Halen required emergency surgery for a life-threatening bowel infection.

Colon Eruption: Stay Strong, Eddie Van Halen
            James Hamblin, MD, is an editor at The Atlantic, where he oversees the Health channel.

The world's greatest Dutch-American guitarist is once again unwell. From the band's official statement:

Eddie Van Halen underwent an emergency surgery for a severe bout of diverticulitis. No further surgeries are needed and a full recovery is expected within 4-6 months.
            Eddie has already survived crippling avascular necrosis and an oropharyngeal cancer, which left him with a prosthetic metal hip and half of his tongue removed. (The whereabouts of the amputated tongue are contested -- some insist that Van Halen's indomitable spirit must live on within it, and that it is thriving somewhere, pulsating, giving birth to baby tongues.)

EVH's prognosis in this case is promising, too, but when diverticulitis requires emergency surgery, it's no small thing.

We often hear about diverticulitis as a common problem that's cured with some rest and antibiotics. And that's usually the case. But it can absolutely be serious enough to result in postponement of all of your tour dates in Japan. All of them!

A diverticulum is an out-pouching, like a tiny balloon. We can get diverticula in lots of places on/in us, but when we talk about "diverticulosis" we're referring to the ones in the walls of our colon. Most people have at least a few colonic diverticula by the time they get old. They've been associated with low-fiber diets and obesity.

Having diverticula in your bowel isn't usually a problem. Sometimes they bleed a little -- they're actually the most common reason that people notice blood in their stool -- but rarely enough to matter. Occasionally, though, they can get infected. Then diverticulosis becomes diverticulitis.

Diverticulitis can usually be treated with antibiotics, but about 25 percent of people with their first bout of diverticulitis will have a complication that requires surgery. As Van Halen's was an "emergency" surgery, it means that he had at least one such complication. Almost definitely one of the following:

Rupture of his bowel wall (The diverticulum has a thin wall and is susceptible to giving out.)
            An abscess
            A fistula
            Obstruction of his bowel

They're all significant, but all complications from which he can and should recover. For all his lyrical emphasis on living in the moment "like there's no tomorrow," we just have to hope he's interested in complying with long-term follow-up, dietary adjustments, and a low threshold for coming back to the hospital next time he gets a stomach ache. He will be, though, because he loves his fans. I'm sure of it.

Diverticulitis, hip replacements, and tongue cancer aren't typical badboy stuff. But Eddie Van Halen isn't our typical badboy. For all he's been through, his is a story of the humanizing universality of illness. The hero we deserve. It's not all overdoses and hot tub infections, kids.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
              Where the cayenne comes in is that it makes you sweat a little bit, and if you can eliminate toxins through the pores, it's a good thing.
              But you can't.

Sorry to be a pedant but sweat is 99 percent water and a tiny percent of salt, urea, proteins and carbohydrates. Salt, proteins and carbohydrates aren't toxins. Urea is a by-product of protein metabolism and is non-toxic. It's regulated to keep your blood at a healthy pH. Most excess urea is eliminated in urine (hence the name) and a small amount is in sweat.

Toxins (mercury, alcohol, drugs,) are eliminated by your liver and intestines. Sweat glands regulate temperature and do not get rid of waste products.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Lemonade sugared up with maple syrup and spiced with cayenne... oh fuckin yeah that sounds healthy as hell!! I guess people really are that stupid...

Out of curiosity I checked out http://themastercleanse.org/

What bunch of nonsense... they seem to think consuming warm salt water will induce bowel movements... I guess their grandma never told them it's an age old home remedy to induce vomiting. Some of the comments are down right scary... some woman asking if she can take her meds while cleansing... high blood pressure and thyroid... sure lady, first jack that blood pressure up with a salt water flush then throw your thyroid into a tail spin by creating a massive nutrient imbalance...

I suppose that website would appreciate comments about almost killing the Guitar God™...

PS... I've found about 4 regular Budweisers will flush my pipes more effectively than anything else... If you want to give your liver a hand... boil some raw beets, drink the water and then eat the rest. Been shown to thin the bile in your liver which can help it release toxins. Also scale back the drinking binges and your liver will love you more...
                Last edited by ZahZoo; 09-05-2012, 11:20 AM.
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• fraroc
                  Commando
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...-halen/261780/

Colon Eruption: Stay Strong, Eddie Van Halen
                  James Hamblin, MD, is an editor at The Atlantic, where he oversees the Health channel.

The world's greatest Dutch-American guitarist is once again unwell. From the band's official statement:

Eddie Van Halen underwent an emergency surgery for a severe bout of diverticulitis. No further surgeries are needed and a full recovery is expected within 4-6 months.
                  Eddie has already survived crippling avascular necrosis and an oropharyngeal cancer, which left him with a prosthetic metal hip and half of his tongue removed. (The whereabouts of the amputated tongue are contested -- some insist that Van Halen's indomitable spirit must live on within it, and that it is thriving somewhere, pulsating, giving birth to baby tongues.)

EVH's prognosis in this case is promising, too, but when diverticulitis requires emergency surgery, it's no small thing.

We often hear about diverticulitis as a common problem that's cured with some rest and antibiotics. And that's usually the case. But it can absolutely be serious enough to result in postponement of all of your tour dates in Japan. All of them!

A diverticulum is an out-pouching, like a tiny balloon. We can get diverticula in lots of places on/in us, but when we talk about "diverticulosis" we're referring to the ones in the walls of our colon. Most people have at least a few colonic diverticula by the time they get old. They've been associated with low-fiber diets and obesity.

Having diverticula in your bowel isn't usually a problem. Sometimes they bleed a little -- they're actually the most common reason that people notice blood in their stool -- but rarely enough to matter. Occasionally, though, they can get infected. Then diverticulosis becomes diverticulitis.

Diverticulitis can usually be treated with antibiotics, but about 25 percent of people with their first bout of diverticulitis will have a complication that requires surgery. As Van Halen's was an "emergency" surgery, it means that he had at least one such complication. Almost definitely one of the following:

Rupture of his bowel wall (The diverticulum has a thin wall and is susceptible to giving out.)
                  An abscess
                  A fistula
                  Obstruction of his bowel

They're all significant, but all complications from which he can and should recover. For all his lyrical emphasis on living in the moment "like there's no tomorrow," we just have to hope he's interested in complying with long-term follow-up, dietary adjustments, and a low threshold for coming back to the hospital next time he gets a stomach ache. He will be, though, because he loves his fans. I'm sure of it.

Diverticulitis, hip replacements, and tongue cancer aren't typical badboy stuff. But Eddie Van Halen isn't our typical badboy. For all he's been through, his is a story of the humanizing universality of illness. The hero we deserve. It's not all overdoses and hot tub infections, kids.
                  Thats old news. I have a feeling that a major news source would have reported what "accordingly" happened with the whole cayenne pepper bad reaction thing. The National Enquirer thing sounds like a retelling of what happened weeks ago with the surgery. For all I know they'll photoshop a picture of Ed to make him look really fat and the headline will say "Doctor to Guitar God: Diet or DIE!!!!"
                  How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Won't be the first photoshop job on Ed...

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                      Won't be the first photoshop job on Ed...
                      That's just disturbing...
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• fraroc
                        Commando
                        • Jun 2012

And another thing, if the whole cayenne pepper episode happened lets say on Sunday, wouldn't have we gotten word from Howdy Doody mountain that Ed was back in the hospital?
                        How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

First picture looked fine. No one that I know ever expected Ed to look like Liberace.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by fraroc
                            And another thing, if the whole cayenne pepper episode happened lets say on Sunday, wouldn't have we gotten word from Howdy Doody mountain that Ed was back in the hospital?
                            I believe the whole thing happened about 4-5 weeks ago... Howdy Doody Mountain™ only reported it due to the postponement of the Japanese tour leg.

Dave couldn't do a witty video due to his contract for exclusive appearances with his dog Russell who's at home while Dave is playing with birds in Japan...

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2004

All joking and bullshitting aside, I'm glad he's gonna come through this ok.

Be a goddamn shame to lose him...

Long live the King!

Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• jpage78
                                Groupie
                                • Sep 2011

The two stories about Ed could possibly both be true...although I don't know if Ed would be stupid enough to try that dumbass "cleanse" thing...you never know though.

According to CNN Ed developed symptoms of Diverticulitis on tour (most likely the reason for the cancellations)...but I'm wondering if they knew it was Diverticulitis until Ed went in for surgery 4 weeks ago?

Comment

Working...