X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

the enemy of his own voice
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo

Dave mentions that it's in these studios he uses them to keep his voice in shape... I'm not convinced. What I heard wasn't what is exercised in a proper vocal training scenario. What I hear is just fucking around and vocal masturbation.
      That's how Dave has always done it...

Some of Dave's best work has been made up on the spot...

Alex criticized Dave on this time an again over the years over what he perceived as being ill prepared...

And I would also that Dave recording little things like this is a lot better for vocal training than getting dragon tattoos...

Comment

• Zing!
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by ELVIS
        And I would also that Dave recording little things like this is a lot better for vocal training than getting dragon tattoos..:
        Can't argue with that. At least Dave's making an effort to actually go into a recording studio once in awhile instead of a tattoo parlor or dog kennel. Maybe there's hope...
        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Never was
          Foot Soldier
          • May 2012

But going in and repeating bad vocal mechanics actually hurts his voice. Forcing high out of your range often enough actually will impact your low end by hurting the elasticity of your vocal chords.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Zing!
            True. But why publicize the fact? These recent vids of DLR attempting to sing with average to poor results may serve to boost his own ego, but they do nothing for a diehard fan like me except make me cringe. Am I missing something here?

In my useless opinion, Dave should do less singing in public and continue to portray himself as a credible rock singer via studio wizardry on strictly VH releases from now on. He'll have to yelp and whoop and have blower rants and "sing" in weird keys and bizarre registers on tour, but I guess that can't be helped at this point.

The man doesn't appear to be doing anything to improve his talent these days, other than full body tattoos and irrelevant (accept to us) webisodes. I say this with all due respect to Dave - who probably accomplishes more in a week than I have in a lifetime - and with a heavy heart; but it's sad to see one of your idols lose his luster.

Waaa me. I'll get over it. Here's hoping the follow-up to ADKOT kicks ass and is supported by a phenomenal tour...

I agree that he's not compensating well for the fact that his basic vocal range is shot... In fact, he's going about it the opposite way really....

I'm sure as hell no vocal coach, without a helluva lot of beer anyway, but I would much prefer that if he can no longer hit his normal range that he goes lower vice higher....

That may not work with the Classic VH lineup, but as you said, the higher ranges are cringe-worthy.....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Zing!
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

The Roth Show

And that's where my critique ends - because I admit I don't know shit about music - how to play it or how to sing it. All I know is what I like and what sounds right to my ears. And years of listening to the 6-pack, countless VH boots, DLR solo albums, and ADKOT, I can say that Dave's voice doesn't sound right to me as he's using it today. I get the age thing - but Brian Johnson is old as dirt too, the difference being he's approached his delivery to meet his vocal shortcomings half way; meaning he makes damn good use of what he has left. Does he sound as good as 1980? Hell no! But he still sounds great - even live - just in a different kind of way. I'm probably talking out of my ass now. Obviously this has been bugging me for awhile, and it chaps my ass every time Dave releases a mediocre clip of his yelpings...
              My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Never was
                But going in and repeating bad vocal mechanics actually hurts his voice. Forcing high out of your range often enough actually will impact your low end by hurting the elasticity of your vocal chords.
                Yeah, I'm sure he's heard it all before...

Dave is Dave...

Take him or leave him, I guess...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I think the worst part of it is that it's that song. He's sounding alright though. For singing in the register that no one prefers, it was atleast in key.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    Yeah, I'm sure he's heard it all before...

Dave is Dave...

Take him or leave him, I guess...
                    I got a feeling he's never heard it... Dave's not much of a listener.

Your comments that Dave's just Dave and he's at his best when flying by the seat of his pants is actually in conflict with one of Dave's life-long personal hobbies... His martial arts boloney. He spends hours upon hours training and practicing... even seeking out top masters to train with.

Dave's talked at length over the years of his commitment and dedication to the art and training... why the fuck wouldn't he apply the same dedication to one thing that puts pop tarts and Red Bull in his kitchen..?
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Finally got around to listening to this new track. I hope the next VH album sounds exactly like that. Just 9 versions of that song. With a bonus floor remix cut. In Japanese.
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Yeah, that's what the world needs...DLR as the new Bobby McFerrin.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by twonabomber
                          Don't worry. Be so fucking happy.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                            Seems consistent with his standard operating mode... even complimentary with his obsession with the O Jays Love Train dance school and his Barry White baritone baloney...

You notice trans-gender stuff is somewhat popular these days... Dave's cutting edge and letting loose with his Trans-Racial leanings. He's been working the transition in those Japanese tattoo parlors... I expect he'll declare citizenship from Planet Rainbow any day now...
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

the man is having fun...that old fart with the blown voice has a life and enjoys it...that is more than 99% of the folks here can say about their lives...

stay frosty
                              Roth Army Icon
                              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• katina
                                Commando
                                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                                the man is having fun...that old fart with the blown voice has a life and enjoys it...that is more than 99% of the folks here can say about their lives...

stay frosty
                                I totally agree

Comment

Working...