Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Well Nitro that's a few layers of the onion I hadn't peeled yet...

I don't know after about 40 years of working full time part of me hates getting up 5-6 days a week and pulling the grind. Of course I'd rather sleep in late and go play my guitars... But then another part of me loves working on IT projects that contribute to space exploration, mapping human DNA/genomes, global weather modeling and other cool stuff.

The thing I don't get is Dave and the sisters don't have any of the daily grind stuff... they can go play their guitars all they want and earn more money than most of us doing so... But they still don't do a damn thing!! There's a 4 letter word for that...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Zing!
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by ZahZoo
      There's a 4 letter word for that...
      Fuck-all is more than four letters. But I get your point. I suppose I would do fuck-all too after I had $40 million in the bank. My fuck-all attitude may be permanent after $50 million, and probably lethal at $60 million. It's kind of amazing the three VH's and DLR can stop doing fuck-all long enough to record and tour once every four years or more.
      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• So this is love
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

My fuck-all number is much much lower than 40 million.....especially on a bad day
        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Well Nitro that's a few layers of the onion I hadn't peeled yet...

I don't know after about 40 years of working full time part of me hates getting up 5-6 days a week and pulling the grind. Of course I'd rather sleep in late and go play my guitars... But then another part of me loves working on IT projects that contribute to space exploration, mapping human DNA/genomes, global weather modeling and other cool stuff.

The thing I don't get is Dave and the sisters don't have any of the daily grind stuff... they can go play their guitars all they want and earn more money than most of us doing so... But they still don't do a damn thing!! There's a 4 letter word for that...
          I knew a guy who was getting ready to retire and he was going to play golf every day. He played golf every day for three months and then got bored. He went back to work using what he had learned working years in the corporate world and became a consultant and also taught some college level classes. It seems like the old people who don't fall apart and go crazy are the ones who do stay busy.

There seems to be a yin yang thing to it. When you lounge around and vacation too much that gets old and of course too much grind gets old. People seem to thrive on a work hard and play hard type mentality. You know earn the vacation. It really is visualization and setting some goals to reach. Just cruising through life aimlessly isn't very satisfying.

Some old dudes want to be Mr. Burns from the Simpsons and get satisfied screwing over the younger generations and screwing their trophy wife and mistresses. LOL!
          Last edited by Nitro Express; 02-27-2014, 04:14 AM.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

The thing I don't get is Dave and the sisters don't have any of the daily grind stuff... they can go play their guitars all they want and earn more money than most of us doing so... But they still don't do a damn thing!!
            I hear ya ZZ. Check out this clip though of the hardest working 63 year old in rock. Seems as though $ has a lot to do with it when you don't quite have enough to live the life you want to live. The VHers are all old and comfortable. Time to stop chasing cars. Guys like Dug, who are more respected in a cult sense, still need to crank it out to put food on their shitty little LA apartment kitchenette table. I admire all this guy's effort and totally appreciate his work effort, but he makes no bones about it, he needs the dollars from these projects. Those at his age that don't need, put their feet up longer, if not forever.

I particularly like how Dug says a lot of these side project recordings only take about a week or so. Kinda makes you wonder how a Van Halen record reeeallly needs 2 to 3 years to put down.

Comment

• Never was
              Foot Soldier
              • May 2012

When consider Dave's approach to recording and work versus Eddie's obsessive it is never done attitude it is amazing they have stayed together this long.
              If you met each independently I do not think you ever would imagine they would work together or even know each other. That difference is in large reason why they each drive the insane but it is just proven fact they make the other better at what they do respectively. Don't think one or the other ever has to win as long as the push n pull keeps continuing the results typically are worth it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

They got shit done when they owed Warner Brothers advance money and Ted Templeman kicked them in the ass. Once Ed became the big boss the band became a bannana republic with an insane leader and endless holidays and no work getting done.

Comment

• Never was
                  Foot Soldier
                  • May 2012

5150 Studios was not a good development, it tilted the scales of the push pull thing eddie and dave have going.

Not sure if it is a lack of work or Ed just not trusting the work and never ever thinking anything is good enough.

Would be an epic reality show lock em in a studio 3 weeks to make a record and regardless of output it gets released. Would probably be a train wreck but great theater and likely pretty damn good music

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

Bruce Dickinson surely qualifies as a hard working rock legend. It's not easy to pilot a 757, is it Nitro?
                    Tell us your stories.

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      I knew a guy who was getting ready to retire and he was going to play golf every day. He played golf every day for three months and then got bored. He went back to work using what he had learned working years in the corporate world and became a consultant and also taught some college level classes. It seems like the old people who don't fall apart and go crazy are the ones who do stay busy.
                      Kinda like my dad. The guy's supposed to be retired, and he's still doing the same three things he did 25 years ago: being an apartment manager, a part-time accountant and a ballroom dancer (brings back a trophy every time he competes). I asked him why he keeps on doing the same shit he hates (you should hear him bitching about some of his accounts), and he says, "I'd go crazy if I didn't".

There seems to be a yin yang thing to it. When you lounge around and vacation too much that gets old and of course too much grind gets old. People seem to thrive on a work hard and play hard type mentality. You know earn the vacation. It really is visualization and setting some goals to reach. Just cruising through life aimlessly isn't very satisfying.

Some old dudes want to be Mr. Burns from the Simpsons and get satisfied screwing over the younger generations and screwing their trophy wife and mistresses. LOL!
                      I wouldn't mind the part about the trophy wives & mistresses...
                      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

My dad never retired. He sold off his construction businesses but retained a lot of his real estate businesses. The only thing is when he did pass away, my mom had all these business affairs to deal with and we had all moved away and she knew nothing about running businesses. When you have an old lady over her head the sharks come in. My dad thrived on it, my mom hated it. Plus you just don't liquidate those kind of assets over night. It gave my brother and me some extra bullshit to deal with. Anyways, it would have been nice if he had all liquid assets and an accountant could just deal with it. When you have employees and physical assets in multiple states it puts the old widow in a bad situation if you to suddenly kick it. She becomes the manager. She could have handled it if she was younger but her mind was no longer sharp and she had her own health problems. She was angry my dad just didn't let it all go but he never did do anything but run businesses. It's what he did.

She just ended up giving a lot of it to charity. She didn't need the money but god was it a pain in the butt for her.
                        Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-01-2014, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Zing!
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Never was
                          5150 Studios was not a good development, it tilted the scales of the push pull thing eddie and dave have going.

Not sure if it is a lack of work or Ed just not trusting the work and never ever thinking anything is good enough.
                          Don't ask me how or why I know this (I swear I read it on Yahoo!) but that's how Steve Perry ended up - and I don't think it's a stretch to say Ed is too far behind. Perry can't release anything or work with any band members because nothing is ever good enough. He has perfectionism so chronic that he even doubts himself working alone. Sounds crazy, but look at EVH. Perry only makes music that he can listen to nowadays, and he still finds fault with it. How Ed managed to release ADKOT is a miracle. It probably only took a month or more to record - and years to convince him that it was good enough to release. The follow-up to that record will probably be the same thing. Hell, it's probably already DONE.

Edit: Here's where I read it. And no - I don't own any Journey albums.

Last edited by Zing!; 03-07-2014, 03:11 PM.
                          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• ashstralia
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Feb 2004

Btw, this episode was awesome.

Dave is like a walking encyclopedia of pop culture.

Comment

• katina
                              Commando
                              • Mar 2012

Watching it again, awesome show

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Here you go....

The Roth Show: S2E2: New York City Way 2 - Let's Dance!
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...