Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Is the whole album like that?
      Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• Northern Girl
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Dave can't sing. Ed can't sing. I guess Mike just carried this band huh? (too bad I couldn't stand the howler monkey's high pitched squeal myself)

I've never heard anyone criticize Ed's vocals before, so the fact that there is an actual debate about it is pretty fucking funny. Backing vocals are just that and Ed did a fine job balancing out Mike's nuts-in-a-vice screeching.

Point is...Ed being a front man is a ludicrous idea and that has nothing to do with his vocal ability.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Who ever bought a Van Halen ticket or album to hear Eddie Van Halen sing? Ha! ha! Dave never could sing. He couldn't remember the words half the time. Didn't matter. VH was a party band and yup, Mike laid the foundation with Al musically and Mike help the vocals down as well. Michael Anthony was the under rated member of VH.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Northern Girl
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
            But she retwatted a twit so that has to make it so.
            She didn't retweet, she just responded to his comment. That only earns a 1/2 chub.

Why so cynical and cunty about everything? Your life suck that bad? Are you the next Elvis?

Spend some time with your daughter. Get some pussy. Maybe get a new job that makes you happy. Life can be good if you try.

Comment

• Northern Girl
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              Who ever bought a Van Halen ticket or album to hear Eddie Van Halen sing? Ha! ha! Dave never could sing. He couldn't remember the words half the time. Didn't matter. VH was a party band and yup, Mike laid the foundation with Al musically and Mike help the vocals down as well. Michael Anthony was the under rated member of VH.
              In order for someone to be underrated they have to be 'rated' in the first place.

I don't remember a big concensus saying Ed can't sing. Or even a little one for that matter. When you talk about Ed, his singing ability has never been a topic.

And Ed's the only one that has ever underrated Mike and look how that went over.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                The signing was cool, very nice to meet Greg, Pete's Bro & the Mrs, Vain, Lou and Katina. Meeting Ted Templeman was beyond awesome too. Bantonelli introduced me to Terry Gilgore, something she's been threatening to do for years. Good times.
                THE Lou?

My copy of the book should be arriving today...
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• vandeleur
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DLR Bridge

Skip to 4:45 for some Ed vocals. He does ok. Again, not saying he's a great singer, but I actually like his grisly Tom Waits voice. I'd buy a solo CD with him singing before I'd get anything with Hags on it.
                  Holy fuuuuuuck , I crumbled it's shocking . For a tone chaser it sounds like ed is strumming a slack fanny !
                  The song is horrible just horrible. The singing is "bag of cats" from both of them.

Ed wants to phone Dave now and thank him a million times for saving him from himself.

Words are not enough , you need more than words to explain how bad that is.
                  fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur
                    I couldnt listen I hate chezrone
                    To be fair there is a pretty shit hot tuba solo on that track.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                      Me too. But it proves my point that Ed doesn't have an "underrated" voice. At best he's a decent backing vocal singer. Or was. Now he's just a bitter old cunt with a recently unfattified ex wife that can't seem to get her kid to jump on the cheap TV-lose-weight-bandwagon.

But she retwatted a twit so that has to make it so.

OK, let's back up a second...

My opinion (that's what it is, just like yours is an opinion) that Ed's singing voice is underrated was specifically based on Greg's statement in the Salon interview that "EVH was not much of a singer"....

It was THAT that I replied to Val that I 'somewhat disagreed' with, along with other comments about EVH's voice in the past, hence me saying that IMO his voice was underrated.... That is, underrated based on a comment like "EVH was not much of a singer"....

And it was THAT that Val replied back to me with the "yup!" (not a Retweet, you Twitter amateur), meaning that she concurred with that...

In fact, I completely agree with your "decent backing vocal singer" opinion... I just don't think his voice, especially in the early years, was that bad at all...

And lastly, I have to correct NG, that was full chub material coming from Val....
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Bottom line, Van Halen wouldn't be Van Halen, if Ed had cuntinued as lead singer. FACT!!

Val is probably pissed Greg didn't mention her name one fucking time in his book! Not that he should have, she wasn't a part of it back then. Fucking Yoko Bertinelli.

As far as the vocals being piped in on the '07 tour, I was told that first hand. However, Wolf was fucking 16 years old. He went from 5150, to the big stage. Also, his voice wasn't fully developed at that time. I think he and Ed did a phenomenal job with the background vocals on this tour.

Why are we talking about how great of a singer Ed is, anyway?

Comment

• Northern Girl
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen

See posts 249 to 251.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Apr 2012

Ed as lead vocalist? No thanks. Ed as the only background vocalist? Uh, no. Ed as a secondary background guy/counter balance to the high end stuff? Ok, that works for me. In that role, Ed has always been fine, imo.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
                              Bottom line, Van Halen wouldn't be Van Halen, if Ed had cuntinued as lead singer. FACT!!

Val is probably pissed Greg didn't mention her name one fucking time in his book! Not that he should have, she wasn't a part of it back then. Fucking Yoko Bertinelli.

As far as the vocals being piped in on the '07 tour, I was told that first hand. However, Wolf was fucking 16 years old. He went from 5150, to the big stage. Also, his voice wasn't fully developed at that time. I think he and Ed did a phenomenal job with the background vocals on this tour.

Sigh... I'm not talking about Ed as a lead singer, nor did I ever mention Ed as the only backup singer, nor did I ever say that Ed was a GREAT singer....

I merely said his singing, particularly in the early days, was underrated, meaning it was not as bad as some have portrayed it to be....

Read my previous post as to why I brought this up....

In addition, I'd bet she doesn't agree with Greg's statement concerning Mike, based on this....

@c1vpmerch @Salon @TheWeeklings I love Michael. He's a good guy that did his best in a challenging situation...— Valerie Bertinelli (@Wolfiesmom) October 12, 2015
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                                Ed as lead vocalist? No thanks. Ed as the only background vocalist? Uh, no. Ed as a secondary background guy/counter balance to the high end stuff? Ok, that works for me. In that role, Ed has always been fine, imo.
                                Yep. That's about it. I posted that wonderful VH 3 clip as an example of what his voice sounded like apart from a mix with Mike. At the end of the day, it is a mediocre voice at best, and now, it's just grisly old man howling. But back when it counted, I thought he did a great job.

Comment

Working...