David Lee Roth Better Than Robert Plant Singing Live???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I'm going to say this: after 1985 (which many of you are still living in) Roth went all Kirsten Dunst and never recovered.

Comment

• BenJammin
      Foot Soldier
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
      I'm going to say this: after 1985 (which many of you are still living in) Roth went all Kirsten Dunst and never recovered.
      What the heck is that supposed to mean ? Has he been kissing upside down Spiderman or killing Lestat the vampire?
      Last edited by BenJammin; 09-10-2013, 11:57 PM.
      "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

See the Roth Army Vocab 101 thread for some, and I mean some clarity.

Comment

• Zing!
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by BenJammin
          In Dave's mind... probably not related at all.
          I think the No Holds BBQ is as close as we'll ever get to a peak inside Dave's mind. I'm pretty sure that's what it's like inside his grey matter 24/7.
          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

That seemed more like a glimpse into a coke induced psychosis more so than his train of thought. Now I know I don't need to try coke. I'll only end up waist high in cave water shining a rifle light around with a nefarious looking bunch.

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

We all change as we age & never recover. It's extremely rare where a person is the same throughout their life. Lemmy is one example and there might be a handful of others, but it's the exception for sure.

As for Daves many lives and years, the only era that I'm not fond of is the decade 96-06. It started with the Vegas show (which I attended) and ended with the radio show.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nigel
                Roadie
                • Mar 2004

Gee Dave vs. Robert Plant. Dave was a better performer, but Bob had
                his Stairway to Heaven (and Roth's still looking for it) and Bob's solo
                stuff was fantastic compared to Roth's misses and hits. . .

Alex tried to sound like Bonzo, but Eddie was better than Page, especially during
                Page's sloppy noodling years (see Eric Clapton), yet VH has lasted much longer than Zeppelin.

I'm so confused from the hazy drug years. . I need some snuff from Holland

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                  We all change as we age & never recover.
                  Well maybe so but not everyone goes all Kirsten Dunst on their hardcore fans.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I have no idea who the fuck Kirsten Dunst is, nor do I get all your stupid fucking Kirsten Dunst references. Is your drugged out brain capable of inducing relevance in your posts?

Comment

• BenJammin
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                      I have no idea who the fuck Kirsten Dunst is, nor do I get all your stupid fucking Kirsten Dunst references. Is your drugged out brain capable of inducing relevance in your posts?
                      That's also what I was trying to figure out a few posts back. Kristy seems to have went all Jon Tesh on us.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jan 2004

Except John Tesh can actually be somewhat cool, in a nerdish way.
                        I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• ODShowtime
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

I'd be willing to bet that Roth has witnessed some of Plant's greatest performances in the early 70s at the LA Forum. He probably also witnessed some later performances and heard firsthand how Percy completely blew out his voice in late 72.

Just go to the June 1972 Forum show and then go to the June 1973 forum shows. Right there Dave's point is proven.

I love both singers and notwithstanding the 2012 Dave which I witnessed firsthand, Roth still has a point. Plant destroyed his voice worse than any singer I've ever heard.
                          gnaw on it

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Apr 2005

A little extreme but I agree somewhat. Dave got so big around 1983-1984 he just got full of himself and lost his 1981 edge. He never got it back. I never got the whole short hair and lame band 1994 tour. The Leno performance was horrid ! I thought who the fuck is this guy ?! He had some of it back in 07/08. If they hit the road again he better go back and watch a few of those shows. The Eat Em' tour was good. But with that talent it couldn't be anything else.

Comment

• Heater
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Nov 2010

The short hair was needed after his restoration procedures so his plugs could grow and blend in naturally. As far as the Plant/Roth comparison, very smart of ol' Dave to draw a parallel between himself and Robert, coyly putting himself in the same echelon. Contrast these 2 at their individual primes and theres no contest, Plant was a much better singer. By bringing up Plant now, Dave is tacitly admitting his vocal shortcomings but at the same time excusing them by implying, "well, Robert Plant can't sing anymore either". Much as those ridiculous blower rants were schtick (couldn't he just have gone to the side of the stage and told someone to shut them down during an instrumental break?) as was the blowing his nose/hacking/sucking on lemons right there on stage for all to see, it was also Dave trying to distract from the elephant in the room. At least Plant doesn't have the burning need to be on stage in front of arena size crowds and tarnish his legacy.

Comment

• BenJammin
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ThatArtGuy
                                Except John Tesh can actually be somewhat cool, in a nerdish way.
                                Not anything against Jo[h]n Tesh (who actually is one of the nicest and modestly talented guys on the planet as I understand )... I just didn't get the reference to Kirsten Dunst and so I was just trying to make an obscure and meaningless association in turn.

My off-kilter sense of humor showing it's ass.
                                Last edited by BenJammin; 09-18-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Working...