David Lee Roth Better Than Robert Plant Singing Live???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Angel
    A group of cattle or other domestic animals of a single kind kept together for a specific purpose.
    ...and Peter Frampton's first band.

Comment

• cadaverdog
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by SunisinuS
      Define Herd.

As last time I checked, most everything I read was not heard. i am typing this as we speak.
      Some of it I read, some of it I heard. I don't see the word herd in my post but I can't see very well so it might be there somewhere. There is a thing called a radio. They still play Zep for an hour here everyday of the week and tell Zep stories so it is possible but I have said heard in reference to things I've read.
      Beware of Dog

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
        The singer is always going to be the weak link in an ageing band. Plant has realised that he can't do what he did at 22, and the rest of the band moderate the songs to accomodate him. The sisters don't, and Dave still struggles his way through.

I guess it's a question of versatility plus getting along............
        Plant resisted putting Zeppelin back together for years after Bonham died, but truth be told Plant's voice did lose a chunk of power by the time the Houses of the Holy tour came around, and by the time they were touring to support Presence Plant was being very careful to not blow what he had left of his voice out, and as a result he began to rely live on a lot of harmonized, echoed vocal effects to pull off the higher-end stuff.

I doubt at this late date Plant could really do a lot of the Zeppelin tunes justice live in terms of trying to sing them how they were originally recorded.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

He never could, except maybe the 1969 live stuff...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I just watched the Knebworth '79 stuff last night. Sounded damn good to me.

Comment

• Satan
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Plant was losing the high notes by 1973. Even back then, I was being accused of short changing him in the deal I made for his soul.
              Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
              I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                Plant sounded fine at the last Zep show in 07 too.
                Beware of Dog

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Satan
                  Plant was losing the high notes by 1973.
                  High notes shmigh notes. He's always sung with feeling in my book.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                    I still haven't seen that yet. I'm not sure what the hold up is.

Comment

• big fatty
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jul 2004

" Sick Again " sounds deadly on that show. That is the shit right there. I love it. John Paul Jones cooks.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • May 2010

I wish there was less pressure. I feel dead again.

14.Sick Again (Page, Plant) 1:29.
                        Last edited by SunisinuS; 01-03-2014, 04:08 AM.
                        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                          Sniper
                          • Apr 2004

It is funny that people say Dave has a problem with his voice. His voice is fine. Dave's problem is that he CHOOSES to sing songs completely different from the recorded version. Different timing, different pitches. Guess what Dave - we don't want to hear that! We want to hear the songs more or less like they were recorded. There is nothing wrong with singing songs slightly different live to spice things up. But you carry it way too far to the point where the song almost isn't recognizable. You had the right balance of sticking to the original style singing and spicing things up during the 2007/2008 tour. But on the last tour you really screwed things up. The songs were almost unrecognizable the way you sang them. Please Dave, go back to your 2007/2008 style of singing. Thanks. Your fans.
                          "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                            Sniper
                            • Apr 2004

On a related note... David Coverdale can still sing (unlike Plant). So Page and Jones should hire Coverdale, change the band's name to something like Houses of the Holy (or Deep Zeppelin, maybe Led Snake, or The New Yardsnakes), and print massive cash. Or even hire Ann Wilson for that matter (Led Heart - Nancy could play rhythm guitar).

Also for the dude that thinks Van Halen isn't in the same league as Led Zeppelin, you are utterly clueless I am sorry to say! The greatest bands of all time are The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Van Halen, and Led Zeppelin... in that order... imo! Also Van Halen was much more innovative than Led Zeppelin. Zeppelin plagiarized..... but I must say they did a damn fine job of it.
                            "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• Satan
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              Except you're probably basing those comments on the official overdubbed and highly processed recording of that show, since you weren't actually in London to see the performance.

Comment

• Satan
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
                                On a related note... David Coverdale can still sing (unlike Plant). So Page and Jones should hire Coverdale, change the band's name to something like Houses of the Holy (or Deep Zeppelin, maybe Led Snake, or The New Yardsnakes), and print massive cash.
                                Uhhhh...... no.

Seriously..... that would be about as bad as another Van Hagar tour.

Comment

Working...