X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

he probly does
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

God-damned Taco Bell.

Pardon me folks, I have to go take a Hagar...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Zing!
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
        Ok, 16.5 to 17 feet. Feel better? Idiot.
        There's got to be a math whiz around here that can do some kind of triangulation on that pic to figure out the exact distance between the floor and Dave's ass.
        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• vandeleur
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Sep 2009

It's called the rock n roll equation

DLR is > spammy , Hagar's. -a (circumference ) + s.a (surface area) = shit jump
          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vandeleur
            it's called the rock n roll equation

dlr is > spammy , hagar's. -a (circumference ) + s.a (surface area) = shit jump
            jimi's sig

Fuckyeah-LOL-dj-2012RESIZESMALL-sharpened.jpg
            Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
              There's got to be a math whiz around here that can do some kind of triangulation on that pic to figure out the exact distance between the floor and Dave's ass.
              Not too hard to estimate... Note the speakers on Ed's side. Each black hole is about 12 inches in diameter. Adding casters and the stage supports... lets say each layer is about 3 feet tall. Note: Al's platform appears to be about at Ed's shoulder height. So let's say 5 feet.

Dave's ass appears to be about 2 speakers above Alex's drum pedestal... So I'd estimate Dave's ass height at about 7.5 - 8 feet max...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                Not too hard to estimate... Note the speakers on Ed's side. Each black hole is about 12 inches in diameter. Adding casters and the stage supports... lets say each layer is about 3 feet tall. Note: Al's platform appears to be about at Ed's shoulder height. So let's say 5 feet.

Dave's ass appears to be about 2 speakers above Alex's drum pedestal... So I'd estimate Dave's ass height at about 7.5 - 8 feet max...
                WHAT? what is the diameter of alex's bass drum?
                Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 11-06-2013, 03:25 PM. Reason: boobs

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                  WHAT? what is the diameter of alex's bass drum?
                  he is at least 3 times that

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                    God-damned Taco Bell.
                    Heresy!!
                    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

8 foot , no way

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                        So I'd estimate Dave's ass height at about 7.5 - 8 feet max...
                        You're wrong. Dave is clearly 37 feet above the stage floor. And it's not the height that matters anyway - it's the hang time. Dave's hang time for this jump, at this show, was 1 minute and 27 seconds, a tour record that remains to this day.
                        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                          You're wrong. Dave is clearly 37 feet above the stage floor. And it's not the height that matters anyway - it's the hang time. Dave's hang time for this jump, at this show, was 1 minute and 27 seconds, a tour record that remains to this day.
                          sammy was up in the skies much longer than that

Comment

• vandeleur
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DONNIEP

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2007

one of you must have a triangulation app on your phone...

Comment

• VHscraps
                                Veteran
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Terry
                                Meh. It was in a $5 or less bargain shelf at Barnes and Noble. I started thumbing through it, then said fuck it, might as well buy it. Was interested in what he had to say about the 2004 tour, but read the whole thing.

Even beyond his vague relationship with the truth (re: sales stats), the thing that really emerged from his book was a really charmless series of rationalizations for anything in his life that went wrong, in that apparently nothing was ever Hagar's fault to the point where not even the slightest bit of blame rests at Hagar's feet.
                                Cheating on his wife? It was his wife's fault for being a head-case. If his wife wasn't so fucked up in the head, Sammy wouldn't have cheated on her.
                                Record sales not everything Sammy thought they should have been for any given album? It's completely the record companies fault.
                                Various members getting kicked out of Montrose/Hagar solo groups? It's all either Ronnie Montrose or the other band members shot themselves in the foot. Nothing to do with Hagar.
                                And on and on.
                                He also wrote how great Cabo Wabo was when he first went there because it was a small village with virtually no phones and no tourists, then without the slightest trace of irony says it's even better now that he opened up his cantina and turned the town into a tourist trap. Like, "wow this place is such a great place to get away from everything, and the people that live here like it that way, so I suppose the natural thing to do would be to turn it into a cross between Margaritaville and Disneyland!"
                                I read it and found it interesting for reasons alluded to by DLRBridge (know the enemy) and for the kind of reasons Terry outlines here. It is, indeed, a book of many boasts - but it does give you an insight into what makes Hagar tick.

The chapters on EVH's various meltdowns are worth reading, and - I gotta say - on that score, I tend to believe the picture Hagar paints of that.

But, the overwhelming thing I got from the book was the sense of just how consistent Hagar had been in viewing rock'n'roll as a series of business opportunities. A few that I can remember off the top of my head are:

- in '75 he's in London recording an album at Abbey Road studios, and meets up with one of his old high school teachers who lives in London. She introduces him to fine wines. He thereafter develops a passion for fine wines, but not as a drinker - no. As fucking investments!!

- in around 78-79, he and Leffler realise that they are paying hand over fist to get travel insurance when they are on tour (as did most rock bands, it seems). So, what do they do? Yup, they set up their own travel agency, which other bands then use to get around etc.

- at about the same time, he invests in some fire protection company that fits sprinklers. Makes a killing (so he says, but in this case, he probably did)

- the Cabo Wabo deal. He knows he's got something that could one day be a goldmine, but the Van Halens are too fucking rock'n'roll to think in terms of investment, so they bail out. It leads to the Tequila, etc., which he sells for $80m.

- the divorce is a shocking example of how he financially screwed his ex-wife who, as a resident of California, coulda had 50% of everything he owned I think. She gets virtually nothing, not even her own mother's crockery(!), because "she still loves him" and doesn't want to take advantage of him, because he might change his mind and come home ...

You also get the sense from the book that trouble was brewing with the Van Halens as far back as the late 80s. My guess is that they only held it together because his manager - Ed Leffler, who was obviously a wizard at financial deal-making compared to what VH were used to up to that point - had increased their income through renegotiations with Warners and also the deals he cut with concert promoters. For Ed and Al it probably seemed like the milk and honey would never stop flowing.

The truth is, Van Halen never really made much money until Leffler became their manager. They had the usual shitty starter record contract, for six albums, and it ran out just as Dave left - so, Dave probably never made the vast amounts of cash that the success merited.
                                THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

Working...