Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

And they spend how much time on stage design and lighting design??? How long does it take to draw a little drum riser, a square for that gay dance pad and some rectangles for those couple of amps they tote around? Five minutes, if you figure in a smoke break. 45 if you take a call from Warf in the middle of it. Dave sounds like he's pretty far removed from anything going on at Ed's house. And he tends to say what he wants to see happen, as opposed to what is happening. Which is good - maybe it'll get Ed off the couch. I know Al's up for another record and tour - he probably blew through all his tour money three weeks after they wrapped it up, lol.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
      Interesting that VH is still trending on Yahoo three days after this non-news story dropped.
      Consider how boring the rest of the world is at the moment...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• SunisinuS
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • May 2010

lol it is the next day and it is now: Trending Now on yahoo...

Watch the show »
        David Lee Roth
        Lena Headey
        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by DONNIEP
          And they spend how much time on stage design and lighting design??? How long does it take to draw a little drum riser, a square for that gay dance pad and some rectangles for those couple of amps they tote around? Five minutes, if you figure in a smoke break. 45 if you take a call from Warf in the middle of it. Dave sounds like he's pretty far removed from anything going on at Ed's house. And he tends to say what he wants to see happen, as opposed to what is happening. Which is good - maybe it'll get Ed off the couch. I know Al's up for another record and tour - he probably blew through all his tour money three weeks after they wrapped it up, lol.
          This should earn you a thanks from Heater, who's convinced all we do is kiss ass around here.

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
            This should earn you a thanks from Heater, who's convinced all we do is kiss ass around here.
            Dude - nobody's sacred. Not even the once Mighty Van Halen or Dave. Besides, the stage does suck balls. Now, let me put on my headphones so I don't have to listen to a chorus of "you should be happy with what you get!!" Yeah, where was that little mantra when Gary was doing the Dance Of The Flaming Assholes?

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by DONNIEP
              Dude - nobody's sacred. Not even the once Mighty Van Halen or Dave. Besides, the stage does suck balls
              Disagree on the stage.. It's flat and the guys are on it. That screen is really where it's at. Not a bad seat in the house with that sucker lit up! Keep spending the money on that!
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

You got me on the screen - it is pretty killer.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by VAiN
                  Disagree on the stage.. It's flat and the guys are on it. That screen is really where it's at. Not a bad seat in the house with that sucker lit up! Keep spending the money on that!
                  True, but I remember not being so thrilled with the '07-'08 stage. Watching clips from that tour (thanks to whomever mans the RA FB page) and I now like it. It has something going on. It has a shape. This past tour, they may as well have been standing on a flatbed 18 wheeler. Screens are nice, but I try to watch the actual people as much as I can at shows.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

The best staging is center floor...in the round...

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

I think for the next tour Wolfie should do a bass solo while flying around the arena in a jet pack!

Comment

• VAiN
                        Use my hand, I won't look
                        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                        The best staging is center floor...in the round...
                        Agreed. I saw Metallica a few years back and they did the stage in the round... VERY cool! I'd LOVE for VH to pull that off with a nice wrap-around jumbo-tron screen..
                        Originally posted by wiseguy
                        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Zing!
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by VAiN
                          Agreed. I saw Metallica a few years back and they did the stage in the round... VERY cool! I'd LOVE for VH to pull that off with a nice wrap-around jumbo-tron screen..
                          But where would they hock their loogies and puff their e-cigs?
                          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

And bang those 45 year old groupies wearing leather skirts and high heels and too much make up? Where would they keep Wolfie's stash of foot long meatball subs??

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                              It's cool to know that they're still working.

I think they can do better than ADKOT - but hiring a producer who will bust their balls is essential to it.
                              I'm not sure they can do better than ADKOT, although if they manage to come up with an album's worth of tracks that are on par with AS IS and Honeybabysweetiedoll THAT would be an album worth getting.

They'll never work with a producer who gives them a proper ass-kicking. They've been too successful for too long to bother with tolerating someone behind the mixing board saying "yeah, guys, that's a good tune, but not a great one... and I think you guys can do better."

But, you never know. Frankly, I was surprised they even bothered making ADKOT, and they didn't just phone the whole album in, to boot! They were all actually making an effort.

Anything else Van Halen does, even with Dave fronting, is just gravy to me at this point. The band said all it ever needed to from 1978 to 1984. Anything beyond is just icing.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Terry
                                Anything else Van Halen does, even with Dave fronting, is just gravy to me at this point. The band said all it ever needed to from 1978 to 1984. Anything beyond is just icing.
                                Yeah, pretty much this ^. I mean, what are the actual expectations at this point? Are they looking for something like a hit? Something ground breaking? Something classic sounding? What is it that they want to hear from themselves? Who are they trying to appeal to most at this point? They've satisfied much of the die hard fans. Are they looking to pull in more? I know, I ask a lot.

Personally, I'm still hoping for a cd of Drop Dead Legs meets Hear About It Later with a sprinkling of Coconut Grove topped off with some Stay While The Night Is Young. Sans floor music.

Comment

Working...