X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cadaverdog
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Aug 2007

Van Halen Unplugged.

I suggested this years ago but now I think it's relevant again. If Van Halen's going to put out another album of old music why don't they try doing it differently by doing an acoustic album? I got the idea originally after listening to Strummin' With The Devil. A live album would be nice too.
    Beware of Dog
  • Sensible Shoes
    Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Did you HEAR the unplugged stuff they did with ADKOT?

Oh dear.

Comment

• qikgts
      Head Fluffer
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
      I wish I could unhear them. Dave was awful on those...
      You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• fraroc
        Commando
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by qikgts
        I wish I could unhear them. Dave was awful on those...
        Fuck off.
        How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• cadaverdog
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Aug 2007

No. I listened to a few cuts off that album but none of them really interested me all that much. Stay Frosty isn't too bad but otherwise I didn't care much for that album.
          Beware of Dog

Comment

• Silexxx
            Head Fluffer
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by cadaverdog
            No. I listened to a few cuts off that album but none of them really interested me all that much. Stay Frosty isn't too bad but otherwise I didn't care much for that album.

And 'You Really Got Me'

I think Sensible Shoes was talking about these.
            Last edited by Silexxx; 05-04-2014, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• cadaverdog
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Silexxx

I think Sensible Shoes was talking about these.
              Thanx for the input. I listened to the first few minutes of the first song and a little bit of the second "song". The reason I put the quotation marks around the word song was because nobody was singing. The first song sounded alright instrumently but Dave sang parts of it with a wierd voice like he was channelling Louis Armstrong. They looked like they were having some fun but it also looked like they wished Dave would just shut up and sing the freakin' song after a while.
              Beware of Dog

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Frankly, I thought Ed sounded like shit playing acoustically.

Oh dear.

Comment

• Monkeeman
                  Groupie
                  • Jul 2012

I think there would be minimal interest in, and sales resulting from, an acoustic album. The Downtown Sessions DVD with ADKOT was OK for hardcore fans but I doubt the more casual fan had much interest in it.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Monkeeman
                    I think there would be minimal interest in, and sales resulting from, an acoustic album.
                    You never know. A decent acoustic album or even just an E P might sell enough copies to pad their bank accounts a little more. It's possible a decent acoustic album would have actually done better than ADKOT considering those songs didn't make it on any other albums before that even though they were supposedly written 30 years ago. If they were great songs they wouldn't have sit on a shelf collecting dust so long. I know there's still quite a few people here that don't care if it was good or not they just wanted to get another CVH (almost CVH) album. Some of the same people who said Dave was still quite the looker even during his Crypt Keeper phase.
                    Beware of Dog

Comment

• Zing!
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

Frankly, I thought Ed sounded like shit playing acoustically.
                      Ed's playing didn't sound right to my ears, that's for sure. Those songs just don't translate well to acoustic. They have a half a dozen deeper tracks that would have been better choices, and better suited to Dave's vocal ability at that time (which was pretty lackluster to say the least...)
                      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Monkeeman
                        I think there would be minimal interest in, and sales resulting from, an acoustic album. The Downtown Sessions DVD with ADKOT was OK for hardcore fans but I doubt the more casual fan had much interest in it.
                        It wasn't worth the time putting it with ADKOT. It just raised the asking price with slowed the sales. Most new stuff is $9.99 or cheaper new the first week. I paid $12.99 and watched it once. That's the stuff they need too put on an video dvd like the Kissologys. A full acoustic album ? No thanks.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

That downtown session crap is lame...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

One thing I've always agreed with Ed on is that he never wanted to do MTV Unplugged because he felt the songs he wrote were for their original interpretation only. Granted, he said that during the 90's. They would've had to do an hour long version of Finish What You Started.

I'd be into an EP of newly written acoustic stuff. Just not like the Downtown thing. A real, produced studio effort, not live in the studio.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                              Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              I know there's still quite a few people here that don't care if it was good or not they just wanted to get another CVH (almost CVH) album. Some of the same people who said Dave was still quite the looker even during his Crypt Keeper phase.
                              Nobody said Dave was quite the looker during his Crypt Keeper phase. I, personally, said he was a looker in the past and would still like to be around him or even more than that during the crypt keeper period. Looks aren't everything, Dave is Dave.

Oh dear.

Comment

Working...