Eddie Van Halen to speak at Smithsonian Instituion on February 12.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    I find the events of recent interesting...

Not sure what to read into any of this... it's sort of bizarre and out there. But... Dave going dark on the net and socially I can't but think it ties somehow to this Smithsonian appearance by Ed.

Could it be some childish, knee-jerk jealousy response from Dave... that Ed's getting recognized on such a prestigious "writing of the history books" for all times at the heart of American history in the Smithsonian. That's an honor and recognition few people experience while living...

Makes sense that the Van Halens were in attendance... why wouldn't Dave support his fellow collaborator in something so monumental?

Was he asked to stay away? Could he not bear to see himself not equally recognized for his contributions to this slice of history?

One other thought provoking question... The "Secret Project"... clues seem to point that Wolfgang's solo album may be what was hinted at. I have to wonder just how Dave felt being told Wolfgang is doing a solo album and would he like to participate in contributing to a song or 2... Then coming to realization that he himself allowed him to contractually agree to limit himself from producing solo works as a condition to work with the Van Halens??
    I have been thinking something like this, too. For me the biggest surprise was that a WVH album was announced as being quite imminent. Not that the guy shouldn't make his own music - good luck to him with it - but It's hard not to think that Eddie would have a role in that, and that as a result (considering the slow pace at which they work) it may have derailed whatever Dave's 'Secret Project' comment referred to.

It'll be interesting to see if a tour is announced soon, because it might put to bed some the suspicion that Dave's media blackout is more significant than we know.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
      I have been thinking something like this, too. For me the biggest surprise was that a WVH album was announced as being quite imminent. Not that the guy shouldn't make his own music - good luck to him with it - but It's hard not to think that Eddie would have a role in that, and that as a result (considering the slow pace at which they work) it may have derailed whatever Dave's 'Secret Project' comment referred to.

It'll be interesting to see if a tour is announced soon, because it might put to bed some the suspicion that Dave's media blackout is more significant than we know.
      Wolf has the Tremonti album coming out in May. They have shows including festivals scheduled this summer. I have to believe they will tour more extensively than that. Maybe VH will just do some shows, and not a "tour" as we are as accustomed to. Or maybe Tremonti will open for VH. I can't imagine what Wolf's album will be like. Hopefully heavy!

I believe the secret project Dave referred to, was this live album.

I don't believe Dave's media blackout is anything that significant. At least as it pertains to Dave.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Von Halen
        Wolf has the Tremonti album coming out in May. They have shows including festivals scheduled this summer. I have to believe they will tour more extensively than that. Maybe VH will just do some shows, and not a "tour" as we are as accustomed to. Or maybe Tremonti will open for VH. I can't imagine what Wolf's album will be like. Hopefully it will be heavy!
        Audio samples of five songs from the forthcoming second album from TREMONTI, the band led by CREED and ALTER BRIDGE guitarist Mark Tremonti, can be streamed below. The tracks available for preview are "Another Heart", "Cauterize", "Flying Monkey", "Providence" and "Sympathy". The follow-up to 2012's...

Heavy enough for ya? If this is what Wolf's music sounds like, then no thanks.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think the video has been taken down because of legal action by the rest of the world objecting to Eddie saying America is the only place in the world with the freedom so that someone can form a band and do well.

Comment

• Von Halen
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
            http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tre...ive-new-songs/

Heavy enough for ya? If this is what Wolf's music sounds like, then no thanks.
            Fuck yeah! Exactly like that! I love the first Tremonti album, and I hope this one is heavier!

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I suspect a bandwidth issue or user error on the Vimeo site...

Clearly Ed has more fans interested in his discussion than Sandra Day-O'Conner from the first series.
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Von Halen
                Fuck yeah! Exactly like that! I love the first Tremonti album, and I hope this one is heavier!
                Just sounds like a lot of jiggity jiggity jiggity jiggity jiggity jiggity....

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I find it odd that Eddie says in the interview that he couldn't afford any effects pedals which is what made him so innovative.

Maybe that happened a little at the very start and it makes for a good story but if he couldn't afford a $30 effects pedal it does make you wonder how he could afford all the pickups, guitars, Marshall amps.

That and the fact that on the early bootlegs you can hear him using effects.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

At least it's rock-n-roll jiggy-jiggy with some balls...
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Here's another one, all you have to do is follow the Roth Army on Twitter....

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fraroc
                        Commando
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                        Eddie wanting to tour!

We're talkin' bout' the Howard Hughes of rock n' roll here.
                        Which is precisely why it seems so odd......
                        How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

Good interview , ed pulled off the near impossible trick of nearly making me think he wasn't a total arsehole.
                          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by vandeleur
                            Good interview , ed pulled off the near impossible trick of nearly making me think he wasn't a total arsehole.
                            I thought so too until I read the RS quote where he sort of tosses Dave under the bus about recording.. Yeah, Ed.. Dave is the one holding things up.
                            Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by VAiN
                              I thought so too until I read the RS quote where he sort of tosses Dave under the bus about recording.. Yeah, Ed.. Dave is the one holding things up.
                              When Rolling Stone asks Van Halen after the show about the band's current plans, the guitarist is ambivalent, noting that the group has no immediate plans to record or tour. "I’d love to make a studio record," he says. "Depends on everybody’s timing. I don’t know what Dave [Lee Roth] is up to now. I don’t know if he’s living in New York or Japan or wherever he is."

Yeah, that's a bit odd, considering all of the times Dave mentioned a "special project with Van Halen" was in the works, plus his constant phone contact with Alex. For Ed to not even know where Dave is seems strange. Par for the course, I guess you could say.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

He said that he tells their singers what to sing?

Really? Dave didn't write the vocal melodies on good Van Halen? Sounds pretty fucking unlikely to anyone that has heard any Van Halen record he didn't sing on.

'How many say I' is what you get when Ed does vocal melodies...

Comment

Working...