X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
    They should over dub it with 07/08 vocals. LOL. This thing will end ticket sales for a tour. I love Dave but he didn't have it that tour. Maybe that's what Ed wants so he can stay home ??
    I don't think Ed's smart enough to pull of such a grandiose feat of reverse psychology. Something certainly ain't right again, me thinks.

Amazing, how damn good every '07-'08 show is starting to sound now that there's a live show from '13 coming out. I listen to those earlier clips with a much more accepting ear to Ed's sloppy play and piped in backing vocals. Dave's leads were that good. Putting them on top of '12/'13 music would be something.

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
      Whatever dude...

Tremonti is boring...

Play that Creed song again...

Exactly...
      He is living your dream.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I just want it to be real and authentic. If authentic is Wolf on stage then so be it. I personally want Rudy back as the guitar tech and I want the 84 stage setup....midgets on stage...not happening.

You cant fake it is all I am saying. Ed cant fake wanting Anthony back in the fold and through all his faults I cant say I blame him. Its better for him with his son. Thankfully Wolf more than holds his own. That last album killed and it wasn't a full collaboration quite yet. I hope the next one is. How good will that be?

Just make it real boys. Own it whatever it is.
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• FALCO
          Groupie
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
          I don't think Ed's smart enough to pull of such a grandiose feat of reverse psychology. Something certainly ain't right again, me thinks.

Amazing, how damn good every '07-'08 show is starting to sound now that there's a live show from '13 coming out. I listen to those earlier clips with a much more accepting ear to Ed's sloppy play and piped in backing vocals. Dave's leads were that good. Putting them on top of '12/'13 music would be something.
          From all I've seen, both on video and live in Houston '08, I'd MUCH rather have Ed be a bit sloppy and have '07/'08 Diamond Dave than the abomination that continues to be 'DLR: Post '07/'08'... Now to have those vocals and '12/'13 band... total destruction!!!

As a vocalist, I originally thought that Dave had some vocal issues that caused him to drastically change his style (which may have been the case), but it just seems that NOW this is a 'mental choice' and he insists that sounding like a cat in a blender sounds great...
          It's frustrating because obviously he can sing the songs the way they are supposed to be sung, range and melody wise and he can even throw in a scream now and then...

In my over 30 years of singing, I certainly picked up bad habits along the way, but (as much as I do have L.S.D. in regards to performance and attitude lol) I was always receptive to the criticism so as to not have me or the band sound bad... I wonder if anyone has brought this up to Dave???

... I wonder if it would make a difference ...

FALCO
          \m/ \m/
          NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
          'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
          "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
            He is living your dream.
            These things are relative.

At this point his dream is just to play guitar live to people outwith his bedroom.

That and to find the cheapest soap solution that still wipes bugs off quickly enough at a traffic stop...

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FALCO
              In my over 30 years of singing, I certainly picked up bad habits along the way, but (as much as I do have L.S.D. in regards to performance and attitude lol) I was always receptive to the criticism so as to not have me or the band sound bad... I wonder if anyone has brought this up to Dave???

FALCO
              \m/ \m/
              Hi.

I have to admit Rock Me Amadeus was always a guilty pleasure for me...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
                I hope the next one is. How good will that be?

Just make it real boys. Own it whatever it is.
                We should be knowing how good the next one is this coming March, instead, they've done nothing but press a bootleg to disc since they absconded from Japan a year and a half ago. I can tolerate the change, even though I'd prefer Mike. It's just that, at this point, it's starting to not feel like a fair concession. They're not a forward thinking, working band with a release in the cooker. Based on Ed's Smithsonian gig, in both what he said and played, the band Van Halen is nothing more than a nostalgia act. I'm on board out of my love of this band and the fact that the only other choice is to tell them to fuck off. I'm not doing that because I'm so used to being disappointed, I've become desensitized.

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                  Not relevant to the current music scene due to all the above...
                  Well, you knew 1985 had to end someday.

Might as well start you grief crisis now.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

Gee what happened too all the excitement about this release around here ??? LOL !

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

You farted ??

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

We should be knowing how good the next one is this coming March, instead, they've done nothing but press a bootleg to disc since they absconded from Japan a year and a half ago. I can tolerate the change, even though I'd prefer Mike. It's just that, at this point, it's starting to not feel like a fair concession. They're not a forward thinking, working band with a release in the cooker. Based on Ed's Smithsonian gig, in both what he said and played, the band Van Halen is nothing more than a nostalgia act. I'm on board out of my love of this band and the fact that the only other choice is to tell them to fuck off. I'm not doing that because I'm so used to being disappointed, I've become desensitized.
                        Precisely...it is like the "beaten dog syndrome" (sorry for the cruel analogy). "Here Snuffles, want a Meaty Bone? Here ya go"...then bash the poor creature over the head with a pipe.

It gets old after a few decades, and illustrates why so many of us value bootlegs and really crummy videos of this band when it was in it's element. Maybe that is a reflection of just us but them. Perhaps a pining for youth, perhaps wishing a friend(s) to get their shit together.

Who knows, ultimately? I am now at the point of believing ALL of us (including the fucking band) should be in some government sponsored therapy group somewhere in the Bahamas. Oysters and beer for dinner, every night of the year, of course .

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Nah...

I'm not the Jimmy Buffet type...

The rocky mountains wound be much more therapeutic, IMHO...

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS

The rocky mountains wound be much more therapeutic, IMHO...
                            With Kristy?

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2012

What's frustrating is that it wouldn't take much to keep the fans they still have left happy, yet they won't do any of those things (release audio/video from the glory days, put out new albums on a reasonable schedule, etc.). Instead, you get the lazy middle ground of this live album which isn't going to do much for anybody. And who is going to listen to that live album and then be motivated to see them live this summer (if these rumored shows come to fruition)?

As far as new music/albums go, i think Ed has slipped back in to "what's the point?" mode, which will only be reinforced when sales of this live album don't even reach ADKOT levels. And with Wolfgang being busy with the Tremonti stuff, i just don't know if there's anybody else who could push/motivate Ed to get his ass back in to the studio. They've done nothing relative to recording new music for 3 years and it's not like these guys have fucking day jobs.

I know a huge part of Dave's identity is being "David Lee Roth, lead singer of Van Halen", but at what cost? Why can't the John 5 album be released? Why couldn't they play some gigs around that album? Hell, why couldn't he put the DLR band together and play some gigs if he's so inclined. I guess my point is that Dave has always struck me as a guy who likes to do stuff and stay active, but being part of Van Halen is the exact opposite of that- a heaping helping of nothingness for extended periods of time. The guy can only spend so much time getting tattoos and making yakuza related short films. Is he so worried about Ed kicking him out the band if he does other stuff that he won't do other stuff? I'd actually find it quite hilarious if Dave just said "fuck it" and played some gigs with John 5 and (GASP!!!!!!!!!!) Michael Anthony (GASP!!!!!!!!!!). Boy, that'd stir some shit up. The odds of that happening are basically nil as "David Lee Roth, lead singer of Van Halen" seems to trump everything else, but it sure as hell would be interesting (or at least more interesting than this yawn of a live album is going to be).
                              Last edited by chuckjitsu; 02-22-2015, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

Nice post...

I'd love to hear Dave with John 5 and Michael Anthony...

Maybe that's what the tattoos and the pale look is hinting at...

Comment

Working...