Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

If that press release is real, what is significant to these eyes is that this album is being released through Warner Bros.

If that's so, it is maybe the beginning of a longer process of working the old catalogue - which VH have not done (if you compare them to any other band of their stature) since they split with Warners. But then again, if the remasters are not expanded versions of the albums, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to issue another remaster.

Prince went back to Warners last year and, in return, they handed over rights to his masters. They didn't need to do that - not with every album - because it is only albums that are 35-years old THAT HAVE BEEN RELEASED SINCE 1978 that an artist is now able to try and reclaim the rights to. The rights don't automatically revert to the artists - the artist has to file a suit with the US Copyright Office.

But, with big acts, it is also arguably in the interest of labels to come to new arrangements with the artist, so that they continue to make at least something from the legacy catalogue. And the artist also benefits from better financial deals, even if they don't 100% take control of the masters - they don't have to worry about storing and managing and marketing their catalogue, which apparently can involve fairly substantial continuing costs.

As of late 2012, when that story in Billboard was published, very few artists had filed to recover the rights to their master recordings. VH wasn't mentioned in the story - and because the suits are filed publicly it would have been known - which might suggest they have inked a new deal with Warners.

Maybe the special project is a series of re-issues (and let's hope they have at least a goddam booklet or something), with this live album coming at the time of the first two reissues of VH1 and 1984.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Never was
      Foot Soldier
      • May 2012

It was better than US dates but clearly not a song even on a good day Dave can sing live due to the pace.

Comment

• Never was
        Foot Soldier
        • May 2012

I don't think that release is authentic. If it is then some intern sent it out while Irving Azoff was at lunch or something because that is not his style at all. He has a pretty distinct brand of bullshit and the odor hear is does not match.

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Ed's worst fear will be realized if they put out this crap!

I'll illegally download the fuck out of this and give it out to everyone I know........might even give it to people I don't know

So right out of the gate you're minus a few hundred bucks on this cash grab fiasco!

Way to give the fans what they want and have your finger on the pulse of the buying public team VH!
          Originally posted by vandeleur
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm not finding any trace of this album on Amazon. If there was something on their earlier, it must have been yanked.

And if they're going to remaster the 6 pack AGAIN, then they need to add something to it to make it worth buying again.

Although a vinyl release of the whole thing would be a step in the right direction.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by FORD
              I'm not finding any trace of this album on Amazon. If there was something on their earlier, it must have been yanked.
              I heard it was. I got the screen shot from the Van Halen Rising FB page.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Couple of minutes ago the station posted on their Facebook page that the plan to play Panama was "changing... the single is no longer available!"

Pardon me while I go clean the crap off my boot so I don't track any more around...
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Never was
                  Foot Soldier
                  • May 2012

The press release conveniently makes no use of trademark or copyright notations typical on ANY corporate press release, all rights reserved.....

The press release is bunk it all is bunk

Picked a good show from ADKOT tour if real, just do not think it is. So we still wait for what is real ....

Comment

• Fairwrning
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                    If they put out a live album from the last tour, I will not only NOT buy it but will not spend a single cent on VH in 2015! No cash for a tour, no cash for a live album.

Van Halen............the only band on earth who gives their fans exactly what they don't want every time!
                    If you are gonna remaster something..REMASTER THIS!!!! find this fucking show and release it...

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                      I gotta ask the question:

What is gonna be the difference these remasters and the ones from 10+ years ago? Is it simply that the technology is that much better since then?
                      It's a marketing scam. Most likely they'll come with "rare photos," historical footnotes of the records recording dates, and an inflated price. I blame Jimmy Page and of course, Obama for this.

The re-remastering will most likely be stronger but what really needs to happen is to have them on 24-bit instead of the limited 16-bit CD audio limitations. In other words, you'll have a CD "remaster" with DVD sound. Only problem being finding players that will play them.

Comment

• Monkeeman
                        Groupie
                        • Jul 2012

If there was going to be unreleased tracks on the remasters, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. And they are not.

The 'live' album will be more rerecorded in the studio than what was played and sang on the night. Especially Dave's vocals.

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                          If you are gonna remaster something..REMASTER THIS!!!! find this fucking show and release it...
                          Yes, yes and yes!

Or Largo!

Or fucking Iowa from '82!!

I don't give a fuck which show you release live but for the love of fuck! Please release a show that your fans might actually buy
                          Originally posted by vandeleur
                          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Monkeeman
                            If there was going to be unreleased tracks on the remasters, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. And they are not.

The 'live' album will be more rerecorded in the studio than what was played and sang on the night. Especially Dave's vocals.

Yeah, but if you listen to the Youtube vids of that show, Dave, knowing it was going to be recorded, "yelps" much much less than in previous shows.....
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

So a rumor started by an obscure Canadian radio station and pushed by MelodiCrock.....

I think I'm having Covercheese flashbacks!
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• VHscraps
                                Veteran
                                • Jul 2009

The DJ posted to Facebook this comment, below, about the non-appearance of 'Panama (Live)' as promised. I have copied from a post by user named Expanded Consciousness on VHLinks:

106.7 THE DRIVE Tell what you want Michael Hunt Give me one good reason why we would have any reason to try and pull one over?! Why I feel the need to have to justify this to you is beyond explanation. I guess I must be really bored. Record companies deliver singles to radio digitally via a secure website called DMDS. Yesterday at 7am I got a delivery notification e-mail from Warner music with a live version of Panama and the press release that was attached. I didn't download it right away because we rarely play live versions of songs. So, when went to do you guys a solid and download it this morning, the track was no longer available. Most likely what happened was someone jumped the gun & released before they were supposed to. I don't think the record company goes thru the work of writing up a press release for shits & giggles. I apologize to you James, I honestly have no reason to bullshit you. ~P
                                THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

Working...