• Mar 2004

The Classic Metal Show review of Panama & RTWD:

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by philouze
      The Classic Metal Show review of Panama & RTWD:
      These guys crucify this release, same as every other public outlet is doing to it.

Unless Ed and the boys aren't listening, or they have ulterior motives, I can't believe they will go through with the release of this thing.

Comment

• Jetstream
        Foot Soldier
        • Dec 2011

The review has a point but it is a hatchet job with just a smear job intent when they attempt to even imply that when Dave is speaking Japanese he is just mumbling something incoherent
        I got lost in the...

Comment

• chuckjitsu
          Head Fluffer
          • Apr 2012

Here's me trying to make some sense of the world's most puzzling/frustrating band (welcome to VH fandom baby!!). Based on the rumors we're hearing about shows this summer, I'm guessing they wanted some product to tour behind as the reunion angle from 07-08 wasn't going to cut it and touring in support of ADKOT has run its course. There is some precedence here from the Samburglar era when they released the "live" album between FUCK and Balance and toured in support of it. The problem with that is that it's 2015, not 1993. The other problem is that "new" release aside, this really is just an extension of the the ADKOT tour and unless they're willing to update the stage show, set list and Dave gets in better form vocally, there will be a lot of "been there, done that" feelings for this series of shows. Maybe you can get away with this in '93, but they're pushing it in 2015.

Why the 2013 Tokyo show? I think 1993 once again offers insight. The show from the 1993 release was from their previous tour, i.e., a more recent show, so i think they went that route again. Why not a show from 2012? If I had to guess, they either didn't professionally record any of those shows, or if they did, perhaps the show(s) they recorded would've required extensive vocal enhancements given Dave's vocal struggles on that tour.

I've had my share of sport with this release, but I honestly thought Dave's vocals were ok for this show, based on what I saw/heard on the Tubes. I mentioned it elsewhere, but the larger issue is that this release is what I called "the lazy middle ground". They wanted to tour this summer but wanted to tour in support of something instead of just another "oldies/hits" tour (even though that's basically what they're doing anyway), so they release this live album. Here's an idea- PUT OUT A NEW FUCKING ALBUM, THEN YOU'LL HAVE A LEGITIMATE REASON TO TOUR!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen

Unless Ed and Al have ulterior motives, I can't believe they will go through with the release of this thing.
            Believe it...

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
              If I had to guess, they either didn't professionally record any of those shows, or if they did, perhaps the show(s) they recorded would've required extensive vocal enhancements given Dave's vocal struggles on that tour.
              The one that's being released requires extensive vocal enhancements, so there goes that guess...

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

I honestly thought Dave's vocals were ok for this show, based on what I saw/heard on the Tubes.
                You need new ears...

Read the Youtube comments next time...

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Jetstream
                  when they attempt to even imply that when Dave is speaking Japanese he is just mumbling something incoherent
                  Dave mumbles incoherently when he speaks English...

Just watch the Dave Show...

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    You need new ears...

I haven't read any of the Youtube comments. Are they getting crucified there too?

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Apr 2012

The one that's being released requires extensive vocal enhancements, so there goes that guess...
                      But even you would have to admit that some (most?) of those 2012 shows would require more vocal fixes than the 2013 shows, so by that and VH's standard, the 2013 show was good enough, whereas the 2012 shows would've required much more work to patch the vocals. Now, you can argue that their standards for 2013 shows are even too low, but that's a separate argument!

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
                        I haven't read any of the Youtube comments. Are they getting crucified there too?
                        Yes, just like they have been since the 2012 show itself...

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

But even you would have to admit that some (most?) of those 2012 shows would require more vocal fixes than the 2013 shows
                          No I would not, The new Orleans show is light years better...

And the best way for these guys to make a live album is to record every show and pick the best material, like iron Maiden did...

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Apr 2012

You need new ears...

You mean anonymous assholes on YouTube and their opinions should govern my decision making/thought processes?

I have read a lot of those comments and a lot of them either point out specific instances where Dave sounds bad and largely dismiss the performances as a whole, or they do the opposite and make sweeping generalizations - "Dave sucks!!!"- and leave it at that. I readily admit that Dave has patchy moments in that show, but as a whole he sounds decent. I also understand that opinions vary, so my "decent" is somebody else's "awful". To each his own, right?

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

And the best way for these guys to make a live album is to record every show and pick the best material, like iron Maiden did...
                              That would require an ounce of effort.

I'm surprised their laziness will even allow them to go on tour this summer. I can't even begin to imagine how little effort they'll put into a live show, after seeing their lack of effort with this bullshit release.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Just listened to Panama again. Holy shit it sucks! At this point they need to just pipe in Dave's vocals from any other tour prior to 2005. Or just have Ralph back stage singing the shit while Dave lip syncs.
                                American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Working...