Does the "Eat 'Em and Smile" Reunion talk say anything about the future of Van Halen?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
    Hmmm. I dunno. I don't see him being that loyal to Mike and then saying, "I'm just going do a quick tour with them to get back at Dave. And the brothers, too."
    But how does that get back at Dave? Once again, Hagar is the replacement.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DaveTheScott
      (5) $mart thing to do is bring back Mike, have a VH tour split with Dave and Bette-era portions of the show, Wolfie opens with Spumoni and then sits off the side of the stage posting to Instagram.
      Let Cherone sing his two VH singles in the middle of the set. Everyone takes a piss break at this time.

I think the problem you'd have with another spin on the Dave and Sam tour is who gets to close the show.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
        I think the problem you'd have with another spin on the Dave and Sam tour is who gets to close the show.

Although on the bright side, if Bette opened, that would give Pojo another opportunity to flip him the bird for an hour.....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
          Although on the bright side, if Bette opened, that would give Pojo another opportunity to flip him the bird for an hour.....
          Or, when Dave opens and I leave after his set, the guy working the gate can tell me "you're gonna miss the rest of the show." And I can reply "nah, show's over already."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

But how does that get back at Dave? Once again, Hagar is the replacement.

Again, it's a very weird set of circumstances...

None of them really need the money, although relatively speaking Al isn't as filthy rich as EVH or Bette....

But Mike? I'm sure he's quite comfortable, but filthy rich? Highly doubt it.... Those VH residuals aren't rolling in like they used to, the Circle/Chickenfoot money is decent, and while I'm sure the hot sauce is a money-maker, it's not Cabo Wabo-esque....

Having said that, it's not like the VH Bros. are gonna hook back up with Bette just to ensure Mike sets his grandkids up for life....

So, if they indeed do re-unite, then why?

Well, considering the backstabbing that has happened over the last 11 years, the only way I can see it happening is for EVH's love of music, putting it plainly...

They've got a batch of albums that a certain batch of people would pay money for them to play in concert once again.... Although I still say that those crowds will not be near as big as what they (especially Bette) think it would be....

Look at it this way - While all of us hoped that DLR would eventually come back, during the height of the "Dave Who" era for Van Bette, did anyone really think the VH Bros. and DLR would ever be able to forgive and forget?

Forget the 1986 timeframe - How about after the '96 fiasco?

But it happened, didn't it....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

But Mike? I'm sure he's quite comfortable, but filthy rich? Highly doubt it.... Those VH residuals aren't rolling in like they used to, the Circle/Chickenfoot money is decent, and while I'm sure the hot sauce is a money-maker, it's not Cabo Wabo-esque....
              CNW puts Mikey at $60 million, more than Roth and I'd say that's pretty much "filthy rich" unless you're a drug addict or a money shitter...

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

I don't know...mike lives in a multi million dollar mansion and has a nice car collection, all of which is not on his site. I haven't checked but I'd say he gotta be worth 30 mill or so. Could be less. But you don't see him pissing away money either. Slappy, that fucker has more money than all the rest of those guys combined. Dave - who even knows. Nobody here or on any board knows what kind of cut he got for the tours since 2007. I'd be shocked if they gave him an equal cut of whatever profit those tours turned. Most likely he got a hell of a lot less than the bass player.
                American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  CNW puts Mikey at $60 million, more than Roth and I'd say that's pretty much "filthy rich" unless you're a drug addict or a money shitter...

Wow, where's that money coming from? I don't see how that could be accurate....

The band themselves said on the B&W interviews during ADKOT that they were making peanuts from their albums....

Maybe the hot sauce is making more than first thought?

Or maybe he was actually smart with his money and invested it properly, rather than hookers and blow....
                  Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 12-26-2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Or maybe he was actually smart with his money and invested it properly, rather than hookers and blow....
                    Just caught that

I dunno how accurate CWN is, but he might be just somewhat frugal and use his money well (investments, interest, etc.?). That would fit into his less-than-flashy persona...

The band themselves said on the B&W interviews during ADKOT that they were making peanuts from their albums....

I bet the hot sauce does okay, and they quite might be full of shit in interviews. I'm sure any of us would be happy with the residuals from those albums. I imagine that they might be comparing them to concert money which is the real money in the biz. Mike probably plods along and earns a nice, steady income and it gets saved year after year.

I once heard in an NPR interview that the guy who wrote the horrid "Waitresses" stuff makes at least $30K a year on that one Christmas song they did, and earns six figures if it's used in a major film soundtrack:

Last edited by Nickdfresh; 12-26-2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      Huh, well I was close. Everybody here can say what they want about Sammy - me included - but that fucker made that band profitable. Just think how much money they would have made during the Dave years if they hadn't had such a shitty deal? And then here comes Sam and says you guys could be making a lot more money and here's how and Ed still gets to come up with his bits of music and Slappy crafts them into mostly bad songs, everybody gets paid and Ed and Al still ain't happy cause Mike ain't writing songs. Never mind the only thing Al writes are alimony checks.

I wonder how profitable these past three tours were. Not how much did they do in ticket sales - I mean how much cash did the four guys on stage make.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Correction: Sammy's MANAGER made them profitable...

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Again, it's a very weird set of circumstances...

None of them really need the money, although relatively speaking Al isn't as filthy rich as EVH or Bette....

Having said that, it's not like the VH Bros. are gonna hook back up with Bette just to ensure Mike sets his grandkids up for life....

So, if they indeed do re-unite, then why?

Well, considering the backstabbing that has happened over the last 11 years, the only way I can see it happening is for EVH's love of music, putting it plainly...

They've got a batch of albums that a certain batch of people would pay money for them to play in concert once again.... Although I still say that those crowds will not be near as big as what they (especially Bette) think it would be....

Look at it this way - While all of us hoped that DLR would eventually come back, during the height of the "Dave Who" era for Van Bette, did anyone really think the VH Bros. and DLR would ever be able to forgive and forget?

Forget the 1986 timeframe - How about after the '96 fiasco?

But it happened, didn't it....
                          I suppose the success of another Van Halen tour with Hagar would really depend on what a demographic breakdown of the audiences currently willing to pay money to see Van Halen would reveal.

In other words, how many people paying to see the band actually care (to the point of it being a deal-breaker) who (Roth vs. Hagar) sings for the band as long as the Van Halens are playing. Keeping in mind that neither Roth nor Hagar as solo acts or members of other bands in the years running up to 2004 through the present were selling out large arenas or venues with the exception being the co-headlining tour they did together. How many people seeing Van Halen these days are casual fans vs. the 'Dave or the Grave, Baby!' contingent. And how many of those would only have any use for Roth IF he's fronting Van Halen.

AND how much of a draw Roth with the Van Halens would be going forward from today vs. how much of a draw it was in 2007 (the first live appearances Roth did with Van Halen in over 20 years) and 2012 (promoting the first Van Halen album with Roth in over 25 years). I mean, there wasn't that much of a huge reaction to what the band did in 2015 from what I saw...so what's the draw for ANOTHER tour with Roth going forward? Especially when by THAT point whatever drawing power to be had from the excitement over seeing Roth onstage/recording with the band after a long absence has already been used up?

I'd be willing to wager a fully reconstituted (i.e. with Anthony) Van Hagar lineup would generate a decent amount of interest. Particularly if it is public knowledge that Eddie is still on the wagon and playing well.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Wow, where's that money coming from? I don't see how that could be accurate....

Yeah they're making peanuts now, but they weren't back in the mid 80s through the first half of the 90s. Sure the music was mostly not my thing, and they didn't sell as many Van Hagar records as they did Van Halen records, but they got a much better deal all around on their new contract and that's when they started making money. I can see those guys earning 30 million each during that time period between record sales and touring, if not more.

What I want to know and haven't researched is if Dave got a better deal when he went solo. Not that I think he would have even cared so long as he was able to make music and tour the world, which is really all the guy wanted out of the whole thing. Or so it appears. You look at his giant empty house and the guy basically doesn't own anything much, not that he can't afford it but I figure he's just not into having "stuff". I guess he was telling the truth back in the day in that interview when he said he'd rather spend his money having experiences.

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

Touring is always cheaper when 25% of the band is on pocket money. ... See 2004 to back that up
                              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Correction: Sammy's MANAGER made them profitable...
                                I stand erected!!

Comment

Working...