X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Von Halen
    We should change the name of this site to The DLR Salad Tossing Army.
    it basically says that now
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

Hands up who pissed in vonzilla's cornflakes
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Well, you Dave apologists can cuntinue to absolve Dave from any responsibility in the demise of Van Halen, but I'm not buying the bullshit. All Ed has ever done is sit in his fucking studio and make music. So, in late '84 early '85 he just decided to stop? But yet he came out with an album a mere 2 months after Dave quit the band? Dave sat on David Letterman in January of 1985, and told Dave they'd have an album out in 1985. Guess what? Ed did have one out in '85. Barely two fucking months after Dave's appearance on Letterman. Sure as fuck doesn't sound to me like a guy that isn't doing any work! Oh wait, Hagar came in and recorded the album in the middle of the night, because that's the only time Ed would work, right?

Yeah boy. Dave was busting his fucking ass. Putting out an EP of cover songs, and working on a movie deal that never came to fruition.

We should change the name of this site to The DLR Salad Tossing Army.
        5150 was released in March of '86. And Ed didn't have the songs in the can, waiting for lyrics. I'm not making excuses for Dave - just explaining what he said went down. Should he have stuck around? Well, Dave has said himself that leaving was a mistake.

Like I said, there's some truth to what both Ed and Dave said about the reasons for the split. But what it all boils down to is neither one of them wanted to stick it out. And IF Ed's side of the story is the only truth there, then no wonder him and Al and Mike slammed the shit out of Dave.
        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
          Hands up who pissed in vonzilla's cornflakes
          His favorite nurse at the Old Coot's Home quit yesterday. Now he's got some dude giving him sponge baths. I wasn't supposed to say anything but it's obvious it's taking a toll on him.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DONNIEP
            His favorite nurse at the Old Coot's Home quit yesterday. Now he's got some dude giving him sponge baths. I wasn't supposed to say anything but it's obvious it's taking a toll on him.
            ilickthingswiththings gotta job stateside?
            Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• DONNIEP
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
              ilickthingswiththings gotta job stateside?
              Worse. It's a black dude.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

5150 was released in March of '86. And Ed didn't have the songs in the can, waiting for lyrics. I'm not making excuses for Dave - just explaining what he said went down. Should he have stuck around? Well, Dave has said himself that leaving was a mistake.

Like I said, there's some truth to what both Ed and Dave said about the reasons for the split. But what it all boils down to is neither one of them wanted to stick it out. And IF Ed's side of the story is the only truth there, then no wonder him and Al and Mike slammed the shit out of Dave.
                If the '84 show is the only real VH show you ever saw, I can see why someone would think it was the greatest thing ever. As far as the massiveness of the stage show, it was. However, compared to the other tours, the flow of the show sucked fucking ass. It had become the David Lee Roth costume change tour. Now, watching bootlegs of these shows, you don't really get that vibe. But after experiencing the previous shows, it was kind of a let down to have Dave fucking around so much, constantly running off stage to change outfits. I don't blame the rest of the band, if they were sick of Dave trying to make it all about him. You see how far that went with the EEAS band, and exactly how long that lasted too.

Look at the continuity of the members of Dave's bands, compared to VH up until the first time Clichegar left. Hell, look at the amount of people Dave has not only had as band members, but employees or "friends" in general, over the years. Name some people that ever had anything to do with Dave, that still has anything to do with him, today. The Van Halen's? At this point, that seems to be in question, yet again. John 5? Yeah, but he only has to deal with him in small doses. Vai and Sheehan? They have nothing to do with the guy, other than this failed EEAS anniversary. Why is it, this guy goes through people, like most people go through socks? Because he can? Really? Can he?

Sit back and run through all the names of people ever associated with this guy. You'll be shocked at how many carcasses he's left in his wake.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

If the '84 show is the only real VH show you ever saw, I can see why someone would think it was the greatest thing ever. As far as the massiveness of the stage show, it was. However, compared to the other tours, the flow of the show sucked fucking ass. It had become the David Lee Roth costume change tour. Now, watching bootlegs of these shows, you don't really get that vibe. But after experiencing the previous shows, it was kind of a let down to have Dave fucking around so much, constantly running off stage to change outfits. I don't blame the rest of the band, if they were sick of Dave trying to make it all about him. You see how far that went with the EEAS band, and exactly how long that lasted too.

Look at the continuity of the members of Dave's bands, compared to VH up until the first time Clichegar left. Hell, look at the amount of people Dave has not only had as band members, but employees or "friends" in general, over the years. Name some people that ever had anything to do with Dave, that still has anything to do with him, today. The Van Halen's? At this point, that seems to be in question, yet again. John 5? Yeah, but he only has to deal with him in small doses. Vai and Sheehan? They have nothing to do with the guy, other than this failed EEAS anniversary. Why is it, this guy goes through people, like most people go through socks? Because he can? Really? Can he?

Sit back and run through all the names of people ever associated with this guy. You'll be shocked at how many carcasses he's left in his wake.
                  No, that's all true. But all I was talking about is the split from Van Halen. I said he used Ed's alleged slackness as an excuse to jump ship. The thing is, from every one of those guys' points of view at the time - it was the other guy's fault. Then Sam comes song and has the same experience with a too drunk to record Ed. So there's some truth in there.

Now, was there such a sense of urgency to get something else put out immediately after they had wrapped up the '84 tour. Not really. Did Dave think so? Maybe. But more than likely he looked at the whole thing as the perfect opportunity and time to split and continue his reign or whatever you wanna call it. Plus he was probably convinced the movie would be a hit since the Van Halen videos and his CFTH videos were all hits. But if you read the script, holy shit is it stupid.

Anyway, if it really was all Dave then I don't blame the band for talking all the shit they wanted to about him. Bottom line is he quit - regardless of the reasons.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Those guys had pretty much been dealing with each other for 20 plus years at that point. I have no doubt they were all sick of each other. But Dave has been through many more people in general, than the rest of the guys combined. As far as Sammy, how many albums did they make with him? How long was it, before Ed was too drunk and high to do anything? It sure as hell wasn't close to 1985.

I think Dave thought he was Van Halen. I think Dave thought it would be easy to go from a 3 to 5 minute video, to a movie. I think Dave thought he could slap any band together, and maintain the same success he had in VH. I think Ed and the rest of the guys were blindsided by this. I think Dave found out fairly quickly, he was wrong. I think Dave has regretted it ever since. But I don't think Dave has regretted it enough to change his ways. I think Dave is as hard to get along with, as he was way back in the early 70's, when these guys tried their hardest not to ever let him in the band. That's my opinion.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Apr 2005

I think Dave just made a huge mistake trying not too really be a rock star anymore. Well music wise anyway. Eat Em sure was,and was well received but then at the height of 80's Rock Skyscraper was well, all over the place ! Interesting but not straight up rock you would expect from him. Think it's the reason Billy left. Dave saying dance music was going too be the new thing ? Huh ? So what! You are a rock guy ! It's probably why Vai left even though Skyscraper was musically more his ideas. Well people didn't care for that style from Dave. There goes one band. Then comes Becker. Great fun album. Hell Dave did the right thing. But it was too late. Grunge was taking over. Then Becker gets sick. The tour isn't as big, gets cancelled in some places. Then he really screws up with Filthy Mouth. It's a blues pop album or something ? Sure he knew grunge was the new thing but why change who you are ? it sure as hell didn't make things better for him. He would have been better off staying away for awhile then doing that right turn. After that he did disappear for awhile. Hell even VH was done at that point. There wasn't much interest in either by 1999 when Dave started touring again on his own. They blew it big time in 1996. It was the only thing that would have worked anymore and it took almost 10 years for them too figure that out. But yeah I see your point. LOL ! I do also think it took Dave leaving to kick Eddie in the ass and get working as fast as he did. So I do believe Dave on that point. Hell he said the main reason he left was those two were drunk half the time. He wanted too get going. They didn't seem interested in the same pace. Until he split.
                      Last edited by 78/84 guy; 01-21-2016, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Those guys had pretty much been dealing with each other for 20 plus years at that point. I have no doubt they were all sick of each other. But Dave has been through many more people in general, than the rest of the guys combined. As far as Sammy, how many albums did they make with him? How long was it, before Ed was too drunk and high to do anything? It sure as hell wasn't close to 1985.

I think Dave thought he was Van Halen. I think Dave thought it would be easy to go from a 3 to 5 minute video, to a movie. I think Dave thought he could slap any band together, and maintain the same success he had in VH. I think Ed and the rest of the guys were blindsided by this. I think Dave found out fairly quickly, he was wrong. I think Dave has regretted it ever since. But I don't think Dave has regretted it enough to change his ways. I think Dave is as hard to get along with, as he was way back in the early 70's, when these guys tried their hardest not to ever let him in the band. That's my opinion.

I'd wager it was 3 equal parts asshole - Dave, Ed and don't forget Al....

Dave's ego, Ed's selfishness, and Al's siding with Ed.....
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                          I'd wager it was 3 equal parts asshole - Dave, Ed and don't forget Al....

Dave's ego, Ed's selfishness, and Al's siding with Ed.....
                          Takes 3 to tango?

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Takes 3 to tango?
                            Basically....

But yeah, I recall those times during the '84 Tour shows when Dave would be doing the samurai sword & kata moves that it was starting to go overboard.....

You bring up a good point with those previous tours, though.... Had to be a much more raw, more music, less schtick.....

That said, I don't know about everywhere else on the '84 Tour, but when I saw them in their backyard in San Diego, it was an absolute frenzy.....
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah, exactly. Aside from the lyrics, I wonder just how different the songs would have been had Dave worked on them rather than Slappy. Sam's said that he had to take Ed's bits and pieces of music and turn them into songs and I think Dave has said the same thing. There's an interview with Al and Ed from right after Gary joined where Ed talks about how much he hates DTNA because it was Dave's idea to change it to have the whole Latin vibe. Things like that have always made me wonder if - as Sammy has said - Ed just shows up with riffs and bits of music and then Dave, and later Sam, had to turn those pieces into full blown songs.

This is one of the reasons I wish they'd do a Classic Albums series of shows. I've always wanted to know all the little details of how those songs came together, aside from the ones they already basically had in the can before they walked into the studio. And when I talk about releasing the old stuff, I'm talking about any video they shot in the studio while they were recording too. If there is any.
                              It's not just the lyrics in the vocal melodies which is in essence the song, the hook and so on.

I think when Hagar joined the band the producer guy Jones from Foreigner then wrote the vocal melodies over Ed's music hence the shitty AOR vibe with Hagar adding his wonderful lyics.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Well said, Rip Von Winkel. I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Working...