Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinnie Velvet
    replied
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Steve Vai is great, but his tone is a very jazzish clean sharp sound that didn't mesh well with Ed's style, even if you could argue that maybe Vai was the better technical player though I would never...

I liked EEAS but hearing some renditions of songs like Panama made be cringe and almost cry saying "Dave, WTF did you do?"...
    I agree Vai's take on the CVH material wasn't great. Maybe that's why Vai wasnt necessarily Dave first choice. He originally went to Steve Stevens who I think would've pulled off Ed's stuff better.

Leave a comment:

• FORD
    replied
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Was it a tribute or an excuse for promoting the living? A tribute is a nice funeral, a moment of silence, or even a monument but you don’t make $$$$ doing that.
    I don't know if the concert itself was designed as a "benefit" show (much like the Freddie Mercury tribute in 1992 raised money for AIDS related causes) but the MTV you tube feed had a fundraising link to a non-profit called "MusicCares".

Leave a comment:

• Nickdfresh
    replied
    Originally posted by Von Halen
    Hey, you're talking to NickDoesn'tknowshit. Keep in mind, he is defending douchebag Dave Grohl in this thread. Neither have created anything original in their lives.
    See my latter comments and fuck off, Von Helen. You're the first one to trash other players covering CVH, you hate EEAS. That's my whole fucking point, it's not just about technical virtuosity but the actual fucking fingers that define your sound. Not just the gear and style...

Leave a comment:

• Nickdfresh
    replied
    Steve Vai is great, but his tone is a very jazzish clean sharp sound that didn't mesh well with Ed's style, even if you could argue that maybe Vai was the better technical player though I would never...

I liked EEAS but hearing some renditions of songs like Panama made be cringe and almost cry saying "Dave, WTF did you do?"...

Leave a comment:

• Nickdfresh
    replied
    Originally posted by Terry
    Inherited?

He played the two VH tunes well. He can clearly play guitar. It wasn't really shocking how well he played those VH tunes, in that by this point 40 years or more on, a LOT of people can play those tunes well now. I can play those two tunes as well as he can. So can a million Youtubers. Although in all honesty I'd be more than a little nervous (far more nervous than him) going onstage and playing them in front of that many people. I suspect more than a few of those Youtubers I mentioned would be pretty nervous, too....

But whatever. I suppose I should take it for what it was, which was a nice, innocuous tribute to his father, rather than nitpick the shit out of it.
    Funny but Steve Vai, that slouch on guitar, had a tough time making CVH covers work live on EEAS tours. Yeah a lot of people can cover them but getting close to the actual feel of the song and tone are a whole other kettle of fish. My point is that his tone is pretty close to Ed's, not just virtuosity. You seem a tad ornery of late...

Leave a comment:

• Vinnie Velvet
    replied
    Was it a tribute or an excuse for promoting the living? A tribute is a nice funeral, a moment of silence, or even a monument but you don’t make $$$$ doing that.
    True. So perhaps the "tribute" was used to make $$$$.

Leave a comment:

• Nitro Express
    replied
    Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    Ha no kidding.

I'm by no means a fan of the Foo Fighters and never thought Hawkins was that great of a drummer. But hey to each their own.

But its weird he managed to garner a tribute of this magnitude. And to have TWO of them (LA one is coming up I believe). Heck, Freddie Mercury never got two tribute shows. Lol

And to celebrate what? The dude OD'd. Lets celebrate that! Yeah! Awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Jérôme Frenchise
    replied
    Don’t drop your guitar puck and pick it up on stage. You might get a warm banger up the arse.
    Just like your soap in the shower in jail...

Leave a comment:

• Nitro Express
    replied
    Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
    Dude really looks like a fag. And has no sense of ridicule.
    Don’t drop your guitar puck and pick it up on stage. You might get a warm banger up the arse.

Leave a comment:

• Nitro Express
    replied
    Originally posted by Von Halen
    Hey, you're talking to NickDoesn'tknowshit. Keep in mind, he is defending douchebag Dave Grohl in this thread. Neither have created anything original in their lives.
    Grohl cleverly made being a fan an occupation. Sure he can hit drums, strum a guitar and scream but he’s like a minister or politician, he’s all smiles out to sell you something. But I will give him credit, he’s managed to ride the bull and stay in the media spot light for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Jérôme Frenchise
    replied
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Justin Hawkins (no relation as he's British), lead singer of The Darkness. He's a decent singer but his voice clearly doesn't lend itself to CVH....
    Dude really looks like a fag. And has no sense of ridicule.

Leave a comment:

• Vinnie Velvet
    replied
    At least Sammy Hagar wasn’t there. Thank God.
    Ha no kidding.

I'm by no means a fan of the Foo Fighters and never thought Hawkins was that great of a drummer. But hey to each their own.

But its weird he managed to garner a tribute of this magnitude. And to have TWO of them (LA one is coming up I believe). Heck, Freddie Mercury never got two tribute shows. Lol

And to celebrate what? The dude OD'd. Lets celebrate that! Yeah! Awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Von Halen
    replied
    Originally posted by Terry
    It wasn't the ability to replicate, but the ability to create something original that was as compelling...THAT aspect was what all the Eddie clones of the 1980s lacked.

Leave a comment:

• Nitro Express
    replied
    At least Sammy Hagar wasn’t there. Thank God.

Leave a comment:

• Nitro Express
    replied
    Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    Fatty fingers will only take him so far. Dude could never play a complete set of CVH songs on guitar.

He looked gassed after playing two.

He did play well but let’s be honest he desperately needs to lose weight.
    Showbiz is the whole package. You have to look like you belong up there. To be honest, I cringed. Yeah nice job playing a bit of dad’s stuff but man, lard ass ain’t cool. I was down in Belize and Guatemala for two weeks doing some diving and hiking. Nobody down there is fat. I fly back to the states and it’s like Jabba The Hut multiplied and invaded the airport. Repulsive fatty’s everywhere.

So a lowering birth rate and fat people who will die sooner. Future generations will enjoy less traffic.

Leave a comment:

Working...