Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinnie Velvet
    replied
    Agreed. FUCK Spammy.

I dont want Alex resurrecting any Van Hagar material.

Glad its been dead and buried since 2004.

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    Which means S P A M M Y will be involved. Fuck that.

Leave a comment:

• silverfish
    replied
    Michael Anthony Says He's Been in Van Halen Tribute Tour Talks

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    Not sure about more unseen concert footage but I believe there are live recordings from the 1984 tour and even from the Hide your Sheep tour so who knows.

Dave suggested back in '85 they release a live album as he himself back then said "we have tapes" but the Van Halens didnt want to.
    I'd tend to agree, but then 15 or so years ago the 1981 Memphis show surfaced. Appeared to have been a show the band videotaped with a single video camera on a fixed tripod at the mixing board, for what I'd assume was the band's own use...dunno how it got leaked out - if it was one of Eddie's assistants who pirated the thing or whatever - but it made me wonder how many other shows the band filmed back in the day in that manner (videotape on a single stationary videocamera obviously being cheaper than multiple cameras using actual film).

Leave a comment:

• FORD
    replied
    Yikes! Never heard that before. Now I know why. Dio actually sounded pretty good there, but YingYang is unleashing the fucking ego as usual, and sounds completely out of place. Now I'm trying to imagine what Iommi would have sounded like on that song.

Ronnie was always good with cover songs, of course. Like this one from his Elf days, which was somewhat ironic, given his future career path....

Leave a comment:

• Seshmeister
    replied
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Steve Vai showed that even an elite, extremely talented guitar player can lose the plot when trying to emulate Ed. For one, Irregardless of technical ability or "feeling" or "soul", your fingertips are your fingertips and not Ed's and that's where the sound comes from. That being said I think Satch might be a bit better suited and less awkward...
    In defence of Vai we are judging live bootlegs and think was the late 80s peak of guitar wankery and he had taken on the biggest rock guitarist gig on the planet in his 20s it's not surprising in any way he maybe sometimes overplayed CVH especially on that first tour. Vai has plenty of feeling in his playing in fact he even did in the 80s in For The Love of God.

The worst example that I've ever heard ever though was Yngwie during that strange time in the late 90s when there were a lot of cover albums done by famous 80s musicians that almost always were not good but for interesting reasons. You would get Sebastian Bach singing a Rush song with George Lynch on guitar - in theory wow in practice not so good but you didn't know that until you bought the CD. I bought about 3 or 4 until I learned my lesson.

I just looked and it's got over a million listens on YouTube and lots of +ve comments but I still think it's fucking comical mess.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-29-2022, 09:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Seshmeister
    replied
    Originally posted by ZahZoo
    All this talk of a possible tour with various performers is a nice idea... a tribute to Edward... another nice idea.

To include anyone that wasn't a member of Van Halen other than guitar... would be a total lame-ass idea. If you are going to do it... do it right. Al, Mike and Dave... if you must, Hagar and/or Cherone. No need for anyone else on drums or bass. Maybe Wolfgang...

For the guitar aspect... while a good player, Satriani just doesn't fit all that well. Frankly no one does... even if they tapped into former tribute/DLR band 6-Stringers it just falls flat compared to Eddie. Brian Young was the best IMO... the rest were adequate.

No one... I mean no one... could reach the bar Ed set for guitar playing. For that fact alone... I lose interest in any of this crap...
    To me it's back to Roth solo I don't see the difference unless it's Michael Antony and Alex Van Halen, that would maybe make it Dave solo+

At least part of the problem is always that Ed has permission to change his own solos a bit live, he would stick to the theme sometimes he would play note for note but he can do that. Anyone else doesn't have that luxury definitely not if they are not an artist in their own right so Brian Young would feel he had to try and play as close to the album as possible. Maybe the audience would give Satriani some leeway it's difficult to judge also would he choose to use it? I liked what Jake E Lee used to do with Randy Rhoads stuff back in the day a lot but usually it doesn't work out well - you are damned if you do damned if you don't. If Satriani plays a set of CVH Eddie note for note then I'm not sure how that is any better than Brian Young or whoever doing a facsimile.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-29-2022, 09:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nickdfresh
    replied
    All this talk of a possible tour with various performers is a nice idea... a tribute to Edward... another nice idea.

To include anyone that wasn't a member of Van Halen other than guitar... would be a total lame-ass idea. If you are going to do it... do it right. Al, Mike and Dave... if you must, Hagar and/or Cherone. No need for anyone else on drums or bass. Maybe Wolfgang...

For the guitar aspect... while a good player, Satriani just doesn't fit all that well. Frankly no one does... even if they tapped into former tribute/DLR band 6-Stringers it just falls flat compared to Eddie. Brian Young was the best IMO... the rest were adequate.

No one... I mean no one... could reach the bar Ed set for guitar playing. For that fact alone... I lose interest in any of this crap...
    Steve Vai showed that even an elite, extremely talented guitar player can lose the plot when trying to emulate Ed. For one, Irregardless of technical ability or "feeling" or "soul", your fingertips are your fingertips and not Ed's and that's where the sound comes from. That being said I think Satch might be a bit better suited and less awkward...

Leave a comment:

• Nickdfresh
    replied
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Van Halen died with Eddie. People need to get over it.
    I agree and in no way would this really be Van Halen. But it might also be better than 90% of the shit out there...

Did I see the last Van Halen tour because I wanted to see Dave dance around? Nope. I saw it because I wanted to see Eddie play which he did really well and instead of some sad drink and chemical abused sad character, he looked great and he was having the time of his life. Glad I saw it. Rest In Peace Ed.
    I also wanted to see Ed and he was by far the best thing to watch/hear in 2015. But I sure as fuck would have stayed away if Hagar had been the sole singer. I wanted to hear CVH which Davie is essentially part of!

Leave a comment:

• Nitro Express
    replied

Van Halen died with Eddie. People need to get over it. Did I see the last Van Halen tour because I wanted to see Dave dance around? Nope. I saw it because I wanted to see Eddie play which he did really well and instead of some sad drink and chemical abused sad character, he looked great and he was having the time of his life. Glad I saw it. Rest In Peace Ed.

Leave a comment:

• FORD
    replied
    I always thought there might be a single tribute concert at some point (like the Queen concert after Freddie died) but a tour definitely seems like a bit much. And yeah, if it happens at all, Sobolewski should be playing bass. If Al still has a problem with him, then I guess the rumors are true that the bad blood between Mikey & the band started when Ed & Al's mom passed away, and Mikey didn't contact them at all. Dave, Hagar, and Cherone all paid their respects, though none of them were in the band at the time, and Ed & Al took it very personally. That story certainly holds up better in the current context than the one about Eddie being mad about Mikey getting 1/4 of the publishing credits & royalties while not actually being involved in songwriting. Because Alex wouldn't have a leg to stand on in that case, as he didn't write much either.

Leave a comment:

• ZahZoo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Von Halen
    replied
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Not really a vault. It’s a storage room with shelves on one wall and it’s full of tapes. You can access it from the studio, there isn’t even a door on it.
    Everybody has always called it a "vault". You know this.

Leave a comment:

• Nitro Express
    replied
    Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    My understanding is that Al still has control over anything Van Halen related. As in the band and their music - which includes previous recordings or unreleased.

Wolf took over the EVH gear brand and thats it.
    Wolf got half of EVH Gear. Matt Bruck got the other half.

Leave a comment:

• Nitro Express
    replied
    Originally posted by Von Halen
    Seems Wolfgang Van Halen and Alex Van Halen may have differing opinions on whether there is Van Halen without EVH.

I wonder if Al even has access to 5150, or the "vault".
    Well Wolfgang made his opinion public. I assume Wolfgang got the Cold Water Creek property where 5150 is located. Ed owned three adjoining lots. The property tax has to be killer. There’s the big house, a guest house, 5150 and another house.

Leave a comment:

Working...