This Fuckin' Kid

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    • Oct 2003
    • 35267

    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    I hear you. Big combos are no fun to haul. That’s why I started using a 50 watt FUCHS head and a FUCHS 2x12. Andy FUCHS uses a special lightweight plywood and an aircraft aluminum chassis. His stuff is pretty light weight but still sounds great. His 2x12 has an offset baffle so the two speakers don’t cancel each other out. It sounds like a 4x12.
    The FUCHS is 40lbs compared to the EVH 60lbs. Looks like they are expensive and hard to find in Europe though.

    Comment

    • Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

      • Oct 2003
      • 35267

      Originally posted by Nitro Express
      For studio use I would look into the EVH 15 watt LBX head.
      I know someone who uses one for band rehearsals and says they are loud enough to play with an acoustic kit with a hard hitting drummer and they only weigh 15lbs.

      Comment

      • DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

        • Mar 2011
        • 5471

        Originally posted by Rikk
        My home studio is in the basement (the studio is maybe 400 square feet...but that includes the vocal booth and an equipment storage area)...and to get to the basement, there's a pretty steep staircase. (The basement is about 2000 square feet finished...and I wanted to save some space for the home theater, pool table, fireplace area in the middle, playroom, spare bedroom...so I didn't want to make the studio too big.) ANYWAY, I'm rambling, sorry...when the B3 organ & Leslie got delivered, the guys who drove it from Pennsylvania had to get it down the steep staircase...and I was scared shitless. It's not too wide and I was worried they were going to not handle it and it would go crashing down. I have a seriously bad back from my accident (had surgery for it in 2022) and I couldn't really help them. But those two guys were the two strongest fuckers I've ever known. I don't know how they did it. They got it down those stairs and into the studio (I put it in a sort of corner area with a little nook that goes off to the side). But the B3 and the Leslie are so, so fucking heavy. I can't even describe how heavy they are. The Leslie makes any normal amp feel lightweight.

        I really should post a picture or two of the studio. It's fucking awesome. I basically spent 20 years dreaming it up.
        Damn, the place sounds amazing. I recall you mentioning a home theater the other day. Sounds like a fair amount of space. Congrats on bringing that dream to fruition!

        Comment

        • Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004
          • 32809

          Originally posted by Seshmeister
          The FUCHS is 40lbs compared to the EVH 60lbs. Looks like they are expensive and hard to find in Europe though.
          Yeah they are a boutique brand but great people to deal with. Andy Fuchs has a repair business as well. He does warranty work for Soldano, Friedman and others. I found the guys who design the best amps spent a lot of time repairing them. Easy as hell amps to work on. Not a nightmare like a Mesa Boogie.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

          Comment

          • Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004
            • 32809

            Originally posted by Seshmeister
            I know someone who uses one for band rehearsals and says they are loud enough to play with an acoustic kit with a hard hitting drummer and they only weigh 15lbs.
            They are EL 84 powered which are going to clip sooner than bigger tubes and 15 watts can be plenty loud. What you will lose is head room but for rock you really don’t need that.

            But you are going to get good tone at lower volumes.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

            Comment

            • twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

              • Jan 2004
              • 11212

              Originally posted by Nitro Express
              For studio use I would look into the EVH 15 watt LBX head.
              The 6505 MH are decent too. USB out, shows up as an audio interface in a DAW.

              I've been playing this Katana Artist I picked up a couple years ago. It's versatile. The 6505 MH doesn't like single coil guitars but the Katana likes them all.
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

              Comment

              • silverfish
                Foot Soldier
                • Mar 2007
                • 555

                Wolfgang Van Halen Says He Was Saving Eddie From Messing Up In VH Shows
                "I think between locking in with Al and just jamming with him and then also, because my dad was bad
                at counting, so he’d come in early or come in late. And Al and I would like to swoop in and save him. He’d have no idea. So locking with Al but at the same time being that safety net for Pop if he ended a solo early
                or went a little long or something like that."

                Whew. Pity he wasn't on all the VH tours...

                Full story at:
                In a recent chat with Drumeo, Wolfgang Van Halen discussed his role in Van Halen, particularly how he and his uncle, Alex Van Halen, had to cover for Eddie Van Halen’s timing during performances. The host initially asked the following about his experiences playing bass on Van Halen’s A Different Kind of Truth Tour in […]
                Originally posted by sadaist
                I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

                Comment

                • Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 11982

                  Really? Well, Eddie's kid wasn't helping him from messing up at the show I saw in 2008.

                  The statement also makes no sense considering how many of the CVH songs start off with just guitar, thus Eddie couldn't come in early or late.

                  Is Wolfgang's strategy nothing other than these lame stabs at Mandela Effect gaslighting he has been propagating for the last three years?

                  It seems likely Eddie eventually agreed to work with Roth because Eddie's kid had enough common sense to realize come 2006 that that was what the majority of rock fans wanted to see, and Eddie did the Roth reunions probably more because he enjoyed playing with his kid than necessarily wanting to play with Dave again. All of that stuff I can buy into.

                  The rest of what Eddie's kid has to say publicly comes across as dubious/specious as the more egregious porky pies Hagar has cooked and served up over the years.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

                  Comment

                  • Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 16518

                    Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                    Damn, the place sounds amazing. I recall you mentioning a home theater the other day. Sounds like a fair amount of space. Congrats on bringing that dream to fruition!
                    Thanks, buddy! Yes...it's a dream mancave. Just so freaking awesome and planned out. I should post some pics at some point.
                    Roth Army Militia

                    Originally posted by WARF
                    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

                    Comment

                    • Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 16518

                      Originally posted by silverfish
                      Wolfgang Van Halen Says He Was Saving Eddie From Messing Up In VH Shows
                      "I think between locking in with Al and just jamming with him and then also, because my dad was bad
                      at counting, so he’d come in early or come in late. And Al and I would like to swoop in and save him. He’d have no idea. So locking with Al but at the same time being that safety net for Pop if he ended a solo early
                      or went a little long or something like that."

                      Whew. Pity he wasn't on all the VH tours...

                      Full story at:
                      https://rockcelebrities.net/wolfgang...p-in-vh-shows/
                      Jesus Christ.

                      This fuckin' "kid."

                      I'm so sick of his fucking shit. He just talks and talks...

                      ...now he "saved" his dad from fucking up live?

                      Well, yes...Terry is right. Apparently the band were complete fuck ups from 1974-1984. They were a notoriously live band, with Eddie always fucking up.

                      Thank God Wolfgang came in to "fix everything up."

                      Mother fucker. Seriously.
                      Roth Army Militia

                      Originally posted by WARF
                      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

                      Comment

                      • Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 11982

                        Originally posted by Rikk
                        Jesus Christ.

                        This fuckin' "kid."

                        I'm so sick of his fucking shit. He just talks and talks...

                        ...now he "saved" his dad from fucking up live?

                        Well, yes...Terry is right. Apparently the band were complete fuck ups from 1974-1984. They were a notoriously live band, with Eddie always fucking up.

                        Thank God Wolfgang came in to "fix everything up."

                        Mother fucker. Seriously.
                        I'll give Ed's kid credit for being bright enough circa 2006 to realize that the only real work 'Van Halen' was gonna get at that point (diddling on porn soundtrack not being an example of real work) was a Roth reunion. And, really, how 'bright' did one need to be circa 2006 to realize the Roth option was the only real option left to pick if the band wanted to play big arenas again?

                        Ed didn't get his mojo back 100% until the ADKOT tour. Ed got a buff and shine rehab stint (along with some dental work) for the 2007-2008 tour, but Ed couldn't manage to make it through the entire tour without relapsing.

                        And I've seen enough clips of the 2015 tour to determine that Eddie was playing just fine and playing off the drums as opposed to the bass. Wolfgang was in the band because Eddie wanted to play with his kid. None of the paying fans particularly wanted to see Eddie play with his kid. That situation was tolerated because seemingly it was the only way we could get Ed and Dave onstage together.

                        I mean, who the fuck knows? Maybe Eddie's kid really believes the shit he is saying. Eddie used to spout quite a bit of bullshit in interviews himself.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

                        Comment

                        • Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 32809

                          Wolf did fine. He even was in better shape on the reunion tour than he is now. Dave’s voice was shot. The Van Halen’s sounded good but Dave sounded like an old windbag.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

                          Comment

                          • Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004
                            • 32809

                            Originally posted by Rikk
                            Jesus Christ.

                            This fuckin' "kid."

                            I'm so sick of his fucking shit. He just talks and talks...

                            ...now he "saved" his dad from fucking up live?

                            Well, yes...Terry is right. Apparently the band were complete fuck ups from 1974-1984. They were a notoriously live band, with Eddie always fucking up.

                            Thank God Wolfgang came in to "fix everything up."

                            Mother fucker. Seriously.
                            Ha! Ha! I’m glad Wolfgang is on the planet making it rotate at the perfect speed so time and the calendar don’t get thrown off.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

                            Comment

                            • Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

                              • Oct 2004
                              • 49262

                              LMFAO How was Wolf "saving" the shows in 2008? Triggering backing tracks FFS?

                              Who is going to save Wolf from being a self-serving fat fucking liar ape?
                              Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-10-2024, 04:02 AM.

                              Comment

                              • Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004
                                • 11982

                                Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                Wolf did fine. He even was in better shape on the reunion tour than he is now. Dave’s voice was shot. The Van Halen’s sounded good but Dave sounded like an old windbag.
                                Dave pulled it off on the first reunion tour, vocal-wise.

                                The last two tours Roth was terrible. No pleasure or snark or whatever in saying that, but it's true.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

                                Comment

                                Working...