How many of you actually have seen Van Halen live?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hideyoursheep
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2007

The VH Encyclopedia! Ha! Cool!

The 1980 show @ Riverfront....I thought it was in March..but I guess it was April. I mean, I was 15, don't expect me to remember!

What I do remember, is that it was the first ROWDY rock show after The Who stampede, and the cops were kicking ass and taking names...just for smoking...ANYTHING..inside the building. The house ligts came on several times, and it began to annoy Dave, and that's when I first heard DLR rant. Not only did he tell everyone to "light up", he busted the Hamilton county Sherriff's balls as well as the Fire Marshalls', along with some other city officials...when it became evident that they weren't going to stop turning the lights on and ruin the show, Dave pauses and says, "It don't fucking matter if they turn the lights on!" The goddam law was creating more of a problem than the band or the crowd was, and we all knew it..it got tense in there for a few minutes...and when you're 15 at your very first rock show, you get nervous!

But they continued, played "Light Up the Sky", finished the show with 3 high-energy, kick-ass encores, and I got outta there a changed human being.

Funny story about the 81 show tho.....Middle of football season, on a Saturday, no school, game was the night before, I'm chillin' at the house, and this guy shows up at my house to pick up my older sister, who was 20 at the time, for a date.

SO he's there to pick up my sister (who stood him up, obviously) accompanied by his friend and some girl his friend was with.

I tell him she's not here, and he says to his friend, "well fuck! What am I going to do with this ticket?"

I said "what ticket?" (I didn't know VH were even in town)

He said, "We were supposed to go to the VH concert tonight."

I knew the guy. He graduated the previous year.

I said," Van Halen?!?! Scoot over, motherfucker!!"

An that was it...
    Last edited by hideyoursheep; 05-20-2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2007

i'm gonna run out of thanks in this thread quickly....
      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• 6discs2die4
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Mar 2011

Ive seen DLR 4 times: 6/99 8/02 8/03 9/03 VH 3 times on last tour: 10/30/07 11/07/07 5/28/08
        Last edited by 6discs2die4; 05-20-2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• BrownSound1
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Mar 2003

7 year old thread...talk about necromancy.

Comment

• VAiN
            Use my hand, I won't look
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by chefcraig
            Yep. Technically, it was Sid's West, as there was another location down on Sunrise Blvd about a block before the ocean. That was where you'd have to go to get all of those cool imports and bootlegs back then. Peaches opened up sometime in the mid-seventies, but if you were a dedicated rock music fan, you simply cruised right past it and went to Sid's East.

There was another great music store located near Sears'town called Open Books And Records. It was in that weird little plaza by the railroad tracks on Andrews called (I think) Viscaya Center.
            I recall a record shop on Sunrise, east of the Intracoastal next to Pizza Shack - I assume that was it? I remember going when I was very young, like maybe 7 or 8 with my dad. There were tons of posters everywhere... and nothing but vinyl ...

I was shocked when Peaches closed... it was an institution! And now it's a Hustler store... sign of the times?
            Originally posted by wiseguy
            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by BrownSound1

When a band leaves such an impression on you for 30 plus years, I guess it's expected.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                And ???
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                  I was shocked when Peaches closed... it was an institution! And now it's a Hustler store... sign of the times?
                  That really told you that the internet had pretty much doomed the record business. Then again, that entire area has become fairly creepy after dark in the past 7-8 years.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2007

I stood in line at the old Ticketron Outlet with a hundred other kids when they went on sale. It was located in the Sears dept. store...
                    those were the daze
                    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
                      Let's see, I've only posted this about 700 times .........San Francisco 1984.........like Terry said, one of my endurining memories is that it seemed like the band was hardly all on stage together at one time.
                      Bill Lumbergh...now THERE was an ace dude...shit, approaching ten years since the Army came back up online fulltime...Tom Vu, Millionaire!
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Dan
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Please Note:Bill Is Still On The WHAM World Tour.
                        First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                          Haha I've been to that Hustler store, must have been a pretty big record store back in the day. Probably the fanciest sex shop I've ever been to.

I've seen the last two tours... the 2004 show was a huge waste of money. How do I know when it's love or whatever as the encore was an insult to VH fans. Back in 1998 I saw them in Hershey in the 12th row and they burned the house down. It was the best concert I'd seen at that point, and the Westwood One recording is a nice memento. Unchained and Mean Streets were the highlights. Gary Cherone didn't bother me that much. Hey that's what you get when you were born in 1979.
                          gnaw on it

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ODShowtime
                            Haha I've been to that Hustler store, must have been a pretty big record store back in the day. Probably the fanciest sex shop I've ever been to.
                            It used to be an old A&P supermarket before Peaches moved in. The thing is, it took so much money to stock all that square footage that the store was losing money from the beginning. You could go in there at times and there would be little on the shelves, but the cut-out bins (records sold at a loss or free record company promos with a slash or part of the sleeve "cut-out") would be overflowing. Between 1977 and 1979, it was a wasteland. When CDs came along it briefly saved things, but once again the problems with keeping the store filled with product came back. Next thing you know, they were selling guitar accessories, clothing, sunglasses...you name it. This failed too, and the store closed. It remained vacant until Larry Flynt came along, and just like when it was Peaches, it has become a money losing tourist attraction more than a store. And as I said earlier, the surrounding neighborhood is dubious at best once the sun goes down.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ODShowtime

I've seen the last two tours... the 2004 show was a huge waste of money. How do I know when it's love or whatever as the encore was an insult to VH fans. Back in 1998 I saw them in Hershey in the 12th row and they burned the house down. It was the best concert I'd seen at that point, and the Westwood One recording is a nice memento. Unchained and Mean Streets were the highlights. Gary Cherone didn't bother me that much. Hey that's what you get when you were born in 1979.
                              Ed could still bring it live when Cherone was in the band.

The waste of it was that the VH3 period SHOULD have instead been used to write, record and tour an album with Roth, simply because Ed still COULD play well and was capable of coming up with decent ideas.

Nothing that has transpired since the new millenium rolled around convinces me that Ed has either compelling musical ideas or the technical ability to execute them; when he clearly struggles to play his old material, it ain't a good sign for the future. I hope the dude is able to conjure up the fire to make those Aussie dates worthwhile for the Army members down there. There's really no excuse for him not to, and any EVH apologists can spare me the "oh, Ed's got arthritis/complications from cancer" biz as an excuse: if he can't cut the mustard, he shouldn't be charging money for people to watch him futz around onstage.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                                Yeah, pretty much...

Not as good as Pojo when he flipped Sambo the double bird in '02, but right up there....
                                I don't think Sam's ever been quite the same since...with his Alien abdusction and all = delusional
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...