How many of you actually have seen Van Halen live?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocking ron
    Head Fluffer
    • Sep 2010

So after the 'Tilburg' show ( 1999 ) we did get some tour shirts from one of the roadies because he felt sorry for us!!!

My pal was that frustrated that he isn't a Roth fan anymore, and he was a big one.

From bootlegs till ciggi-butts, he collected everything from VH & DLR till that fxxxxx moment !!!

"So this is "?!

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by rocking ron
      Second time was an open-air show in , I guess 1995 and, they had to open for ...............................BON JOVI !!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it ????????????/

I do, why??? Because this was ( also ) a Van Hagar show, that's why !!!!!

Ugh. That still stings.

The might Van Halen reduced to opening for Bon Jovi. I remember a clip of Jon Bon Jovi saying something along the lines of "we knew we were finally the biggest band in the world because we had Van Halen opening for us"

Made me sick to my stomach. Now that Dave is back as captain of this ship, it ain't gonna happen Jon. Hope you got that show on tape, cause that's the only way you will see that bullshit happen again.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Carloscda
        Foot Soldier
        • Jan 2009

"I remember a clip of Jon Bon Jovi saying something along the lines of "we knew we were finally the biggest band in the world because we had Van Halen opening for us"

Wow after hearing that I would've been doubled over sick!!

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Carloscda
          "I remember a clip of Jon Bon Jovi saying something along the lines of "we knew we were finally the biggest band in the world because we had Van Halen opening for us"

Wow after hearing that I would've been doubled over sick!!

I swear I am not making that up. I can't remember if it was a Behind the Music or some other type thing that followed them around. But Jon said that. Someone here has to be able to concur.

For the record...I kinda liked Bon Jovi in the early 80's. Still think Runaway is a decent tune. Saw them with 2 girls in 88' or so. TWO GIRLS! TWO! 2! Holy fuck I thought I was hot shit that night. The whole show I was thinking of the awesome 3-some that was coming. Sadly I got nothing. But motherfuck if I didn't look like a cool dude walking around with a rocker chick hottie on each arm that night. That was awesome!

*Jodi and Tiffany.....hell yeah I remember
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• little_dreamer
            Full On Cocktard
            • Apr 2011

They opened for Bon Jovi? Dude, that's an insult and a half.
            Unfortunately I've never seen them live in person, but it's top of my To-Do-Before-I-Die list. Along with kicking that Bieber kid in the face.
            I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut.

Comment

• rocking ron
              Head Fluffer
              • Sep 2010

Also God've cried that day, it was raining during the VH show hahaha

Comment

• Carloscda
                Foot Soldier
                • Jan 2009

Wasn't it said that when Autograph opened for them they asked them to pull back on the guitar playing because he sounded like Ed?

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Yes, but it wasn't because of the "Ed" you are thinking of...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• rocking ron
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Sep 2010

It wasn't Ed Zeppelin either??!!!

Comment

• tjvhou812
                      Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

i have been to 13 vh shows and counting
                      Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• Chong Li
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2004

Dave solo in 1986. My first concert. NJ

Van Hagar-88 Worcester MA

Sans Halen--- 2003- CT

Van Hagar 04--Meadowlands

VAN HALEN- October 2007- CT, Mohegan Sun.
                        "Can't you hear Jamies cryin? Shes runnin with the Devil oh nooooo!!! oh no!

Comment

• John_Downing
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Mar 2011

Texxas Jam 1- Cotton Bowl: 7/1/1978
                          Texxas Jam II- Cotton Bowl: 6/9/1979
                          Midland Texas Chaparral Center: 7/15/1979: Stage Barricade collapse almost got smashed to death. Nice scars to remember the event.
                          Texxas Jam 1986 (Van Hagar) 7/19/1986

Never too old to Rock and Roll

Comment

• mohican
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by sadaist
                            Ugh. That still stings.

The might Van Halen reduced to opening for Bon Jovi. I remember a clip of Jon Bon Jovi saying something along the lines of "we knew we were finally the biggest band in the world because we had Van Halen opening for us"
                            That quote was painful to read even knowing the fact. It was in Europe but still, how badly did vhagar need the money? No way would vh with Dave be reduced to opening for bon jovi which I thought would be a one-album kind of band. Was I wrong. They have become the most successful American band. VH should've been in that spot.

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by mohican
                              That quote was painful to read even knowing the fact. It was in Europe but still, how badly did vhagar need the money? No way would vh with Dave be reduced to opening for bon jovi which I thought would be a one-album kind of band. Was I wrong. They have become the most successful American band. VH should've been in that spot.

Agree.

Don't get me wrong, I kinda like some Bon Jovi for what it is. Chick & radio friendly pop rock. Catchy tunes & all, good looking guys fronting the band, million dollar smiles, etc... I don't begrudge Bon Jovi any of the success they have received.

But in no universe should their supporting act be the mighty Van Halen. (luckily for us it was NOT VH that opened, but Van Hagar. I just wish next time Jon Bon Jovi mentions it that someone reminds him of that very important fact)

Sorry to correct you Mr Bon Jovi, but Van Halen never opened for your band. It was Van HAGAR.

Would love to see his expression.

Comment

• indeedido
                                Veteran
                                • Feb 2004

I've never heard of VH ever opening for Bon Jovi. In '95? VH was still going strong even w/ Hagar, why would they have done that??
                                This space for rent.

Comment

Working...