• bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
    [B]
    Originally posted by bueno bob
    You know, to Sam's credit (of which this is ALL I'll extend him), he

Fuckin' sheep.....
    Hey, man, can I get that copy of "3 Lock Box" back?? I miss it...
    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Big Troubles
      "You know, Eddie was right back in '96 - Sammy came into the band as a solo artist and acted like a solo artist filling in for Roth for years."

where did you read that? It sounds familiar, but was that what Ed said after Sam quit or after Dave was fired and they were looking for Gary to fillt he VH singing shoes? Just curious..... Ed's lies are abundantly clear in one area... THERES ALOT OF THEM. I just read that Ed, in 88 I believe, was caught boarding a plane with a handgun. No charges were laid. Did you know that?
      I believe that was in Guitar World magazine, if memory serves. The quote may not be exact ver batim, but the point was that Ed called Sam a "solo artist pretending to be a full time lead singer in Van Halen"...now, if I remember correctly, Ed actually told Sam that on the phone when he fired him (because they were arguing, once again, about the lyrics to "Humans Being"). I believe Edward said that he told Hagar he wanted to have other people writing the lyrics, then Hagar responded with "If you're gonna do that, you might as well have somebody else sing them", Ed fired back "You're still a solo artist, Van Halen's never been your first priority, so maybe you should just go off and be a solo artist again".

At which point they begun playing the
      "Are you firing me?"
      "Are you quitting?"
      "Are you firing me?"
      "Are you quitting?"
      before one of them finally hung up the phone. I remember that's what Ed had to say about it in the article back in '96 during the whole fiasco...if memory serves, that came out before the whole MTV awards debacle and before any of us were even thinking about Cherone, but I might be wrong...don't think so...
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• kcmusician
        Head Fluffer
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
        I'm going to agree with you, up to a point. This is what I'll concede: Sammy Hagar jumped at the opportunity to be in Van Halen, because his 15 seconds of solo fame were fading really fast...he knew, after 1984, that there was some serious money and recognition to be made there, even if it wasn't under the name Van Halen per se...playing with Van Halen in another differently named band, it was bound to be a hit.

However, once he agreed to get off of his position and play with them under the name Van Halen, he also should have NOT played any of his solo stuff live - nobody was interested in hearing "One Way to (Suck) Cock" or "I Can't Drive 55" in a Van Halen concert, and the only reason that was done was so that he wouldn't have to sing David's tunes. Sammy needed to be a man and step up, and if he embarassed himself doing it in the process, oh fucking well. None of the Roth fans were going to be surprised, anyway.

Moreover, he should NOT have immediately started publically trashing David in every possible forum - and he should have respected the old catalog and not made a fucking mockery of it. Van Halen had enough original material at that point to not have to do "Wild Thing", "Mississippi Queen", "Rockin' in the Free World", "Rock and Roll", or any of the other gay-ass covers they did to keep them from playing Roth material. THAT I hold Hagar accountable for, in addition to encouraging the cheese that just dripped out of OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and Balance. If Hagar was going to seriously consider himself the lead vocalist for Van Halen, he should have stepped up to the plate and did the best job of it he could - there was a great precedent in the way of Brian Johnson and how he acted in AC/DC after replacing Bon Scott. I can understand, on one level, why Sammy did what he did...it was a GREAT career move for him...because his ass would have been dead in the water come 1988 and at this point, he'd be little more then a minor footnote in the annals of rock and roll....it would read something like:

"SAMMY HAGAR:

Pseudo-succesful solo artist, had a few minor radio hits back and forth over the years...original lead vocalist for the California rock band Montrose, Hagar virtually disappeared from the world scene in 1987; attempted a comeback in 1992, but his comeback album was lost amid the evolution of grunge and the 'Seattle Sound'; reunited briefly with Montrose for a comeback album and tour in 2000, but the album failed to chart significantly and the tour was panned as a failure...currently touring as a solo artist once again with other once popular 70's and 80's bands, including Survivor, REO Speedwagon, Eddie Money and George Thorogood."

Without Van Halen, THAT is where Sammy Hagar would be. And more over, I think he's about as fucking ignorant of that as he could possibly be...he has a serious lack of gratitude for all the things that the name "Van Halen" has done for his career, and that's what really pisses me off about him.

You know, Eddie was right back in '96 - Sammy came into the band as a solo artist and acted like a solo artist filling in for Roth for years.

He still is.

Hopefully, come December, we won't have to worry about him anymore.
        Well I think the band playing solo Sammy stuff was only a fair trade for him trying to sing Dave era stuff.... Sammy didn't want to do it, so they gave him a slot or two of his solo stuff. I'd rather hear them play a Sammy tune, over him singing a Dave tune.

Shaun
        "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

I'd rather Van Halen go back into hiding than have to listen to Sammy Hagar.
          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...