X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Yeah...

He just didn't seem all that into it on the last tour...

He needs to be ON FIRE!

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

I cant wait to hear the new stuff..
      Ok- lets assume Ed's solo power has gone....
      Perhaps he can still wing some tasty rhythm
      pieces..... Throw Dave all over some of that,
      and I cant wait !! We all know theres at
      least 5 songs from 2000.... Theres some
      CVH coming our way again.... Betting its
      the last time.,...
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• lesfunk
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Eddie has never had a better band behind him.
        That Sat Night Live bit shows what a one trick pony Eddie really was solo wise.
        ..actually four or five tricks...
        Last edited by lesfunk; 07-11-2009, 01:11 PM.
        http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• davehagarfan
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by lesfunk
          Eddie has never had a better band behind him.
          That Sat Night Live bit shows what a one trick pony Eddie really was solo wise.
          ..actually four or five tricks...

That's what I've been trying to say all along.....what a one trick pony Ed really is. Sure he was flashy and played some really cool stuff but it's not like he was some diverse musician who could hang in with players in different styles of music.....that's why I don't get the whole "Edward Van Halen is the best guitarist in the world" thing.....because he's not. He may have been the best rock guitarist for a while but he's far from the best. Lots of people....including me....got dazzled by his bullshit.......but that's probably why he became a pop star and a guy like Carl Verheyen didn't

Comment

• thome
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by davehagarfan
            That's what I've been trying to say all along.....what a one trick pony Ed really is. Sure he was flashy and played some really cool stuff but it's not like he was some diverse musician who could hang in with players in different styles of music.....that's why I don't get the whole "Edward Van Halen is the best guitarist in the world" thing.....because he's not. He may have been the best rock guitarist for a while but he's far from the best. Lots of people....including me....got dazzled by his bullshit.......but that's probably why he became a pop star and a guy like Carl Verheyen didn't

Ed can play anyones music and any style, but no-one can play his.

Any guitarists of note(in the ED style) that came after Ed are simply twisting ED one way or the other.

Anyone who tries just does is faster or slower or syncopates left, rite or indifferent.

Any other guitarist in the world is simply a rythm guitarist who is good at playing a rythymish, lead.Some are Fantastic at it absolutely unbelievably good at it.

Why don't you clowns get real, at a glance, and see what you are... hearing.

-Greatest guitarist in the world- who is the twit that invented that sentence..pfffffftt.... some wordsmith probably,.

I bet your idea of inovation is some Julliard twit who plays guitar with a real hammer.

Ed is timeless.

the guy with the fender spends most of the time gawping in amazement
            No harsh bro, but I think we all know you know who "the guy" is.

Comment

• Big Troubles
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by davehagarfan

Ouch. Not sure I agree. lol Granted "the best at anything" on this planet is always subject for review. But what we prob all agree Ed is top 5. For technique AND being able to bring that brown sound into the mass media! Flash!

But one trick pony he is not. He took an instrument and played it and played for fun and revolutionized the way it's played.

As a guitar player myself i can tell you that Edwards work is some of the most impressive and most difficult to "cover". Raise your hand if you can play Metallica?
              See?

Edward is hard to learn. For a reason.
              "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Big Troubles
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                I cant wait to hear the new stuff..
                Ok- lets assume Ed's solo power has gone....
                Perhaps he can still wing some tasty rhythm
                pieces..... Throw Dave all over some of that,
                and I cant wait !! We all know theres at
                least 5 songs from 2000.... Theres some
                CVH coming our way again.... Betting its
                the last time.,...
                I can see David talking Ed into making a deep, darker type, blues album. Dave seemed to be bringing the blues out of him on tour. Didn't Mike say that Dave was bringing in samples of lords of acid? could be fucking cool!

Ive been listening to the wacf sessions lately and it really sounds like they're having a good time. Here's to hoping that whatever they do decide to do; DO THE FUCK OUT OF IT!!!
                "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Big Troubles
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                  Yeah...

He just didn't seem all that into it on the last tour...

He needs to be ON FIRE!

he needs to remember the fun he had playing and improving and challenging himself. if he stays clean.

as for the last tour, if anything they learned walking away from it- I hope it's teaching Wolfie to let loose for Christ sakes. look like a nervous wreck. some parts looked played, some didn't. Like wow! wake up kid your on stage! hello?

I get the feeling Wolfie would rather be in his own band or playing Tool covers.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    Yeah, Spam and Ed still did One Way to Rock together for several years...

I saw them do it live in like 1991 and I posted a later version here...
                    I meant the Van Hagar songs...Ed used canned keyboards and played guitar himself live, right?

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I think there was at least one Van Hagar song that Spam played guitar on...

Comment

• lesfunk
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Just got home from opening for Los Lonely Boys and boy Am I tired.
                        But anyway, I wasn't dissing EVH when I referred to him as a four trick pony.
                        It just seemed from watcking that SNL clip that Eddie plays His "signature" bits and nothing else really.
                        Let's examine the four "tricks" or sigature EVH isms that reoccur in almost every solo he plays:
                        1 the Squeal
                        2 the dive bomb
                        3 the finger tapping arpeggio
                        4 the fast right hand picking while the left hand goes up the scale on one string
                        Those are the basic 4 used in combination for many permutations but in the SNL clip he pretty much sticks to those and doesn't really interact with the SNL band at all. They just play the song and Ed plays the same 4 licks he plays in every VH solo over it.

Flame away Bitches!

Comment

• lesfunk
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Now here's where I sound like a total DHF douchebag....
                          I'd rather play with G.E. Smith and the SNL band than EVH any day of the week

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2007

Now here's where I sound like a total DHF douchebag....
                            Sorry..you're gonna have to try harder than that!

I'd rather play with G.E. Smith and the SNL band than EVH any day of the week
                            You mean to jam with, or be in a band with?

I wouldn't mind sitting in with either one of em, really.....I'm not in VH, so I could biatch-slap Edwad if he gets outta line.

Comment

• davehagarfan
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Big Troubles
                              Good to great for sure...But he had "magic" here in 94.

but my all time fav. solo work from Ed was here:

Ed played better on the Gay For Cherone tour then he did on the Balance tour......having his musical soulmate in the band, by his side finally rejuivied him after all those wasteful, hell years spent with Dave & Sam

Comment

• davehagarfan
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by thome
                                Ed can play anyones music and any style, but no-one can play his.

Any guitarists of note(in the ED style) that came after Ed are simply twisting ED one way or the other.

Anyone who tries just does is faster or slower or syncopates left, rite or indifferent.

Any other guitarist in the world is simply a rythm guitarist who is good at playing a rythymish, lead.Some are Fantastic at it absolutely unbelievably good at it.

Why don't you clowns get real, at a glance, and see what you are... hearing.

-Greatest guitarist in the world- who is the twit that invented that sentence..pfffffftt.... some wordsmith probably,.

I bet your idea of inovation is some Julliard twit who plays guitar with a real hammer.

Ed is timeless.

No harsh bro, but I think we all know you know who "the guy" is.

Damn Thome....you really got it bad for old Ed....you got it worse for Ed then Manboobs does for DLR......I sure hope sniffing and licking Ed's ass the way you do is worth it

If Ed can play anyone's style and music then why didn't he when he got the chance back then when sitting in with all those late night cats? The fact is Ed couldn't hang with those guys if his life depended on it. The guy is.....well was a phenominal rock guitar player and I'll even give him that he was somewhat innovative in that he took things by different players who had been around for years and integrated them all into his own bag of tricks.....but Ed couldn't hang with guys like Coltrane, Monk or even Mike Stern if he had too....trust me on that. I seriously doubt Ed could hang with Brent Mason either.

Comment

Working...