X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by davehagarfan
    ...that's why I don't get the whole "Edward Van Halen is the best guitarist in the world" thing.....because he's not.
    Sure he is. Maybe not the fastest, the most technical, the most grounbreaking, the most diverse...but here is why Eddie Van Halen is considered a guitar God. Likeability. Plain & simple.

Take Michael Jordan. Are there any better players today? Perhaps. But none of them are likeable the way MJ was. Tattoos, gangster attitudes, selfish, all about money & contracts, cursing, bad sportsmanship, etc... No one can hold a candle to Jordan.

Eddie was a cute guy, great smile, you could put his poster up without your parents freaking out, he married a sweet girl that everyone liked & not some street slut like a Tawny Kitaen or Bobby Brown. He never got caught driving drunk, injuring or killing a friend, overdosing on drugs, buying drugs, drinking binge fights, yelling at fans, throwing things into the audience like so many of todays people do. You would feel safe if your girlfriend went backstage to meet him (not Dave though).

Then there was his playing. Unique sound. You hear it & you immediately know it's him. Popularized the tapping method. Wrote some of the best summertime riffs the world will ever hear that had a unique Americana sound to them ( I give credit to Dave here too). Not to mention his incredible tone that everyone tried to copy but couldn't quite nail it. His music could be loved by Slayer fans to Duran Duran fans and everything in between. Saying you didn't like Van Halen was like saying you didn't like hamburgers, mustangs or the American flag.

The music was about fun. Not political. Not sad about losing your girlfriend. Not about death, war, or your dog running away.

I can't explain why he had this effect, but he did. It would be like explaining why even die-hard (rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford) Chevy fans appreciate old classic Mustangs.

$0.02
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Bandit02tn
      Full On Cocktard
      • Jul 2009

The Talent of EVH in the day is totally unbelievable I would stay drunk if I could play half that good!!!!

Originally posted by flappo
      check out how fucking superior he is to the clowns around him in this clip

stompin from saturday night live 1987

the guy with the fender spends most of the time gawping in amazement

- Eddie Van Halen - Stompin' (SNL 87)
      With my last dying breath, I want to be able to say I tried everything on the menu-twice DLR 2001

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I went to the Fur Peace Ranch to sit in a bass guitar class taught by Jack Casady and GE Smith was there teaching some guitar classes. Nice guy. He was the SNL band leader for several years, played for Bob Dylan, Hall and Oats, and few others. There was one hot shot in the class that was a show off and pretty obnoxious. GE Smith asked the guy to name a note on the fret board and he didn't know the name of the note. GE said, I suggest you learn your fret board better. That shut the prick up. LOL!
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Vallerie still says Ed is a great guy. They just couldn't stand living together. Val said Ed is so much more than the rockstar people think he is. I thought that was a pretty cool comment from an ex wife.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• simarillion
            Full On Cocktard
            • May 2010

Great discussion! He's good Ed, even fucked up. I noticed his playing suffering as the years went on. The pressure of being a rock star and not a regular, fallible human being must have been huge. Poor guy(s), Van Halen meant so much more than "Greatest Guitar Player 1981" and all that sizing-up, pinning down, classify and pull apart stuff that the public and media do to those they love. One can only wonder what might have been had Van Halen pulled through those "megastar" years somehow

Comment

Working...