The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by SNIPER
    It sounds to me like Ed is using most of the bridge pick-up for leads again. Solo sounds killer!!
    The solo is just so perfect...

I remember about 25 years ago, EVH said in an article (paraphrasing) that anybody can do some tapping in the solo of a song, but most of it will sound like "look at me, I can tap"....

Ed's tapping within his solos just fit perfectly within the melody of the song....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• K-tuna
      Groupie
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by SunisinuS
      Maybe you didn't hear me: Fuck you little Boy. We will take this up anyplace you want to Newbie. Bring it. You are in over your head. "Douche" was over in 7th grade over 4 years ago now. At least get hip to the Lingo.

And I mean it.

K?-Tiny?

You and Bleater just go bed down together.

Even Elvis will take your sorry ass out.

Sic'em Russell.

Savvy?

hey Captain c%nt, did I get little Joe Biden mad?

Why so serious?

Really? whacha gonna do message board dumbass? I saw where you tried to look over my profile.

Get Back on topic Douche-nozzle.

I was talking the album , You're loser.
      Last edited by K-tuna; 01-10-2012, 10:28 PM.
      "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• VanHalenI
        Roadie
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        The solo is just so perfect...

I remember about 25 years ago, EVH said in an article (paraphrasing) that anybody can do some tapping in the solo of a song, but most of it will sound like "look at me, I can tap"....

Ed's tapping within his solos just fit perfectly within the melody of the song....
        Bro, I came when the solo started, ED is at the top of his game! 110% EDWARD VAN HALEN MODE
        I had some crazy vision, one I can't deny it
        It said "Open your eyes. Leave it all behind."

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

Really had a chance to crank it today of the car stereo (The HOG in Milwaukee)

You can really hear the change in ED's tone.....his new EVH III amp is closer to a Mesa Boogie rectifier than a Plexi Marshall.........

No wonder the Death Metal crowd love his amps.............just had a very "modern" sound to the guitar

Comment

• diamondsgirl
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2004

A DJ here in Boston said (earlier tonight) that people are "going crazy" over the new VH song and not to worry if you missed it at the top of the hour they will be playing it again and again during the night
            “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• dazzlindino
              Head Fluffer
              • Jul 2009

Thanks Dave!

Dave...thanks for bringing the world new Van Halen music!
              Thanks for sticking it out and making it work!
              Played Tatto 30 times on the studio monitors cranked to 100 db, it rocks ....i'm still smilin'!
              The union tatto part gives me chills......
              Been along for the ride since 78......Thanks!
              I want my music waking up the dead.....dont tell me to turn it down

Comment

• TJMKID
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by dazzlindino
                Dave...thanks for bringing the world new Van Halen music!
                Thanks for sticking it out and making it work!
                Played Tatto 30 times on the studio monitors cranked to 100 db, it rocks ....i'm still smilin'!
                The union tatto part gives me chills......
                Been along for the ride since 78......Thanks!

Couldnt have said it better myself ---- "Tattoo" can't be fully appreciated until blasted on high-end speakers or headphones ---- amazing how many dummies wanna listen to it on a cell phone.

And I agree with Dave ---- fuck the unions ---- they ruined America's competitive edge.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                  Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by TJMKID

And I agree with Dave ---- fuck the unions ---- they ruined America's competitive edge.

I don't think that's what he meant.

Oh dear.

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2004

From Loudwire:
                    It’s worth a mention that this is not the first new VH song with DLR singing since 1984, as Diamond Dave laid down his voice on ‘Me Wise Magic’ in 1996 for the ‘Greatest Hits’ set and that song was a No. 1 radio hit. But fastforward 16 years and we’ve got ourselves a fresh new ‘Tattoo’ to admire. The verdict? It sounds like vintage Van Halen and thanks to the chorus, it will leave in imprint on your brain much like a tatt on your skin. ‘Tattoo’ sounds like Van Halen circa 1982, give or take a few years. It kicks off with a bluesy, opening riff and you just know it’s Eddie Van Halen. His tone has remained a constant throughout the years and we wouldn’t expect anything less. Diamond Dave is a little raspier, but it’s not a jarring difference or change. It’s just a fact of aging and all that singing and talking he does, giving his voicebox a workout. But the big question any Van Halen fan worth his or her salt had pertained to those harmonies that were often handled by ex-bassist..... blah blah blah blah.....

Well, in this song, those harmonies are there. The chorus is also mega hooky, as they sing “Tat-too, tat-too” and DLR coos about a sexy dragon tattoo. Despite the overall classic nature of the sound, it’s not like you are stepping into a time warp, 100 percent. It’s just an older and wiser Van Halen, aged like a fine wine. We applaud them for keeping up with the times, and making relevant rock. Subject-wise, tatts are more popular now than during their first go round, and they’ve changed with the times and appeal to a younger audience by writing a song about ink. There’s been no dilution of the players’ ability to rock out recklessly, either.
                    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Van Squalen
                      Groupie
                      • Mar 2005

Loving it. It was a sleeper at first, but good gawd when it grew on ya, it fuckin' sprouted like a mutant weed.

Best thing from Eddie (or Dave) in the last 16 years. Blows doors on MWM and CGTSNM, too.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Full Bug
                        Watching the Maple Leafs game, and during the stop in play, they played VH 'Panama', and I said joking, "they should play Tattoo instead", and she said all serious, "shut the fuck up with the VH stuff, I am sick of hearing it".....
                        Wow, what a bitch, you would think she would be understanding how cool this day is, break up stuff? I wonder, BITCH.....
                        Dump her.
                        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• njbill
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
                          And he's got a hellova lower end which I'm glad he's using. He didn't use it way back when and I like it. Hell, he's opened up quite a bit of his range since then even without those really high notes. I can't see how anyone could not notice and continue to say he has no range. Its B.S. I notice that argument is mostly coming from people who don't know shit and equates singing in a higher register to having more range. That tends to be the case with Hagar fans.
                          Hagar sings in the key of gay

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by SilvioDante
                            Interesting talking point (for me I guess...)

I noticed on my iTunes that the writing credits are:

Van Halen & David Lee Roth

Discuss....
                            Oh it's a merger ! These guy's have had different agents, lawyer & every thing else under the sun for 20 plus years ! There is probably money going all over the place to pay people from the two camps. I think Mike signed his right away on the 04 tour. VH on paper as one unit died in 1984 !

Comment

• redfire
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Feb 2004

The more I listen to the track, the more I like it. DLR's phrasing and rhythm sound like ALAE, or DLR Band. Go figure the lead song off the album would be about milf's basically. Hilarious lyrics, very tongue-in-cheek... And how about Ed. Best solo he's done since MWM and CGTSNM. Al and Wolf sound in sync and tight.

Bottom line, it just sounds right to my ears.
                              Eat Us and Smile!

Comment

• SNIPER
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jun 2004

I just saw that Chickenshit just released their second single today. Hmmm. Fucking coattail riding pussies.

Comment

Working...