The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

After 5 plays, I was liking it. After 20 plays, I'm lovin' it! I had minor little beefs that have all but dissipated by now such as separating it entirely from Down In Flames, Ed's rhythm guitar sounding a bit too compressed and buzz-saw-y, "sexy dragon magic" & "you put a spell on me". All petty shit that I'm over. One thing I'm hoping to hear on the album is Al loosen up a bit. I know he's no spring chick... uh, he's not that young anymore, but for a song that lumbers at a slow steady pace, he could've thrown a little more spice in there. As far as the video goes, I was thinking that what we had seen for a few weeks leading up to the big day were actually going to turn out to be outtakes for a much better video. It was a bit of a let down to not see some inked up ultra hotties stickin' it in the camera. The subject matter alone was screaming out for more of a Hot For Teacher type video. Perhaps a video for She's The Woman will have a living, breathing smokin' hot subject that's based on the song's title. Can't wait to hear the rest!

Comment

• redfire
      Head Fluffer
      • Feb 2004

Interesting note, MTV and Rolling Stone gave the song thumbs up reviews. Personally, I don't care about the opinions of either of those places, but its great to hear =VH= getting love.
      Eat Us and Smile!

Comment

• K-tuna
        Groupie
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by SNIPER
        I just saw that Chickenshit just released their second single today. Hmmm. Fucking coattail riding pussies.
        I hope the album destroys Slammy. wow....just wow.

thats just crap, shrewd move, but crap.
        Last edited by K-tuna; 01-10-2012, 11:53 PM.
        "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
          Veteran
          • Jun 2005

I bought the track today and man it grows on you. That chorus is echoing thru my head. Has anyone noticed that the texture of the layered vocals in the chorus where he sings "Tattoo, tattoo" sound the same as the vocals on "You're Breathin It" where he sings "breathin it, breathin it?"
          Big thumbs up.
          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
            Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
            Has anyone noticed that the texture of the layered vocals in the chorus where he sings "Tattoo, tattoo" sound the same as the vocals on "You're Breathin It" where he sings
            wow,, good catch!

Oh dear.

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
              After 5 plays, I was liking it. After 20 plays, I'm lovin' it! I had minor little beefs that have all but dissipated by now such as separating it entirely from Down In Flames, Ed's rhythm guitar sounding a bit too compressed and buzz-saw-y, "sexy dragon magic" & "you put a spell on me". All petty shit that I'm over. One thing I'm hoping to hear on the album is Al loosen up a bit. I know he's no spring chick... uh, he's not that young anymore, but for a song that lumbers at a slow steady pace, he could've thrown a little more spice in there. As far as the video goes, I was thinking that what we had seen for a few weeks leading up to the big day were actually going to turn out to be outtakes for a much better video. It was a bit of a let down to not see some inked up ultra hotties stickin' it in the camera. The subject matter alone was screaming out for more of a Hot For Teacher type video. Perhaps a video for She's The Woman will have a living, breathing smokin' hot subject that's based on the song's title. Can't wait to hear the rest!
              I'm just wondering if they wanted to keep production costs down and not get too far into debt.

Wait and see what the single does and if it looks like a runaway smash, invest some cash then and put out a proper video.
              Originally posted by vandeleur
              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

me and barns just cranked it through the big speakers... my god it freakin kills!!!

Comment

• redfire
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                  Really had a chance to crank it today of the car stereo (The HOG in Milwaukee)

You can really hear the change in ED's tone.....his new EVH III amp is closer to a Mesa Boogie rectifier than a Plexi Marshall.........

No wonder the Death Metal crowd love his amps.............just had a very "modern" sound to the guitar
                  Good call about the amp. Its got 2 distortion channels. The first distorted channel is like a Marshall, and the second is like a Mesa Boogie. Although I don't think he played in the neck pickup the entire song. Of course I think neck pickups shouldn't even be hooked up...
                  Eat Us and Smile!

Comment

• Dan
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

I Love It,I Love It And I Love It.
                    Last edited by Dan; 01-11-2012, 12:01 AM. Reason: Happy Happy Joy Joy
                    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Fucking Spammy and fake VH fans are tearing this song apart on YouTube comments.

Ignorant fuckers.
                      =V V=
                      ole No.1 The finest
                      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• TJMKID
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by K-tuna
                        I hope the album destroys Slammy. wow....just wow.

thats just crap, shrewd move, but crap.

Typical jealous scumbag move by the World's Ugliest Tequila Salesman ---- cant do shit without attaching his filthy name to Van Halen

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
                          Typical jealous scumbag move by the World's Ugliest Tequila Salesman ---- cant do shit without attaching his filthy name to Van Halen

My hatred of all things Hagar has just been elevated to new heights.
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                            Fucking Spammy and fake VH fans are tearing this song apart on YouTube comments.

Ignorant fuckers.
                            There's even a high level of trash talk over at the VHND where I couldn't help but notice the wave of new post handles. Fucking morons.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                              Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Fuck em. Focus on the album, and the tour coming up. Meet up with Army regulars. Blast Tattoo. And FUCK 'EM.

Oh dear.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Jan 2004

The thing about the legal part of the single that I found interesting wasn't the Three Twins and DDE thing. What I found interesting that the music is licensed to Interscope. Seems that they're going the White Stripes route and keeping complete control of the music.
                                I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

Working...