Van Halen - The Downtown Sessions - "You Really Got Me" Video...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    I could care less about the atonement of Jesus or the rapture and all that. I really don't even care if Jesus is fictional or was a real person. I like the basic teachings. I have no problem with the golden rule. Treat others how you would like to be treated. I have no problem with that.
    I actually do.

It's put up there as an absolute truth, a gift from religion and a fundamental rule but it's actually shit.

Think about it a bit more.

Do unto others as you would have done unto you or whatever.

Ok it's fine on the obvious shit like don't stick a fucking axe in someone's face because you wouldn't like that done to you. Well okdokie I think I kind of knew that already.

The reason it's bullshit as a law to live your life by though is that what if I don't fucking want to be done as you are?

What if I think that what you want done unto you is a fucking seeping puss filled sack of bile?

What if you listen to Sammy Hagar day in day out, do I want that done unto me?

Even the golden rule is childish shit.

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Hey, don't knock church! It's a great way to make a boatload of money without doing crap to earn it! God's honest truth - the preacher at my church is young, 30. And he's getting paid like 80 grand a year (salary plus housing allowance, plus insurance, plus blah blah blah - I know this because it's a matter of public record in the church). This cat shows up for an hour on Wednesday nights, two hours on Sunday morning and maybe an hour and a half on Sunday night. He spends maybe, MAYBE, 5 to 7 hours a week in the church office during regular church office hours (Monday through Friday, 8 to 5). I know because my mom has been filling in for the church secretary this dick ran off (an older lady who'd been church secretary for nearly 20 years). So let's see - that's right at 80 Gs a year for 10, maybe 15 hours a week??? And you know what the best part is? The majority of the church is pissed about it but nobody wants to be the one to point the finger at the guy and say "you're fired." Why? Because they all felt like it was God's will that they hired the jerk in the first place. I swear to God, I bet this guy laughs his ass off every night when he gets in bed.

Now, the question is, since I obviously don't dig this racket, why do I still go? Because I have an 11 year old daughter and I'm gonna thump the bible, show up every week, stomp my feet and light a match during the service if that's what it takes to keep her on the straight and narrow til she's grown Fear of burning in a lake of fire is a fantastic motivator for young kids Will it really make a difference when she's gets a little older? Well, it didn't work for me.

I need a drink
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Yeah but the only way to get rid of religion Sesh would be to set up a dictatorship and force them to get rid of it or kill them. Hitler tried it. The communists tried it. People still worshiped in secret and after the communist system died it came back. I mean if the communists couldn't get rid of it nobody can. It's been here for thousands of years. We will never have a one world government with everyone on the same page. So the best thing to do is just hook up with people you have something in common with, make your own community and have a big stick just in case some assholes show up trying to convert you.

Atheists aren't squeaky clean either. They too have killed millions of people.
        Last edited by Nitro Express; 01-21-2012, 12:05 AM.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
          Now, the question is, since I obviously don't dig this racket, why do I still go? Because I have an 11 year old daughter and I'm gonna thump the bible, show up every week, stomp my feet and light a match during the service if that's what it takes to keep her on the straight and narrow til she's grown Fear of burning in a lake of fire is a fantastic motivator for young kids Will it really make a difference when she's gets a little older? Well, it didn't work for me.

I need a drink
          This is the argument I had with my parents for a while about their grandchildren when they worried about their morality if they didn't go to Sunday School.

It's extraordinary. You think well how am I going to argue this hugely complex issue and then it occurs to you. Flip it around.

Explain to me how Sunday School makes kids better morally preferably giving examples and even better some sort of proper scientific evidence (you may wish to not include people like Adolf Hitler).

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Hey, don't knock church! It's a great way to make a boatload of money without doing crap to earn it! God's honest truth - the preacher at my church is young, 30. And he's getting paid like 80 grand a year (salary plus housing allowance, plus insurance, plus blah blah blah - I know this because it's a matter of public record in the church). This cat shows up for an hour on Wednesday nights, two hours on Sunday morning and maybe an hour and a half on Sunday night. He spends maybe, MAYBE, 5 to 7 hours a week in the church office during regular church office hours (Monday through Friday, 8 to 5). I know because my mom has been filling in for the church secretary this dick ran off (an older lady who'd been church secretary for nearly 20 years). So let's see - that's right at 80 Gs a year for 10, maybe 15 hours a week??? And you know what the best part is? The majority of the church is pissed about it but nobody wants to be the one to point the finger at the guy and say "you're fired." Why? Because they all felt like it was God's will that they hired the jerk in the first place. I swear to God, I bet this guy laughs his ass off every night when he gets in bed.

I need a drink

You need more that that...

You're fucked in the head...

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I need a drink
              LOL! I never thought my parents really believed in the religion I was raised in. My dad was making a shit load of money getting lucrative church building contracts. They both seemed to enjoy the social aspects of it. When I would complain they would tell me it didn't matter if it was true, it was a good way to raise a family. I sure they appreciated having the peer pressure of the organization keeping the kids off drugs and out of the sack with each other. What they didn't know is at the church summer youth conference we were smoking pot, drinking beer and screwing each other. LOL! Oh but it made the rebellion so sweet. My advice is if you do pick a church, pick the one with the cutest girls.

Oh well. Our neighbors were jewish and I felt like I had it better than the poor kid next door. I didn't have to learn hebrew and I could eat pork.
              Last edited by Nitro Express; 01-21-2012, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Seriously? In this fucking thread? Uh, what the fuck? There's too many fucking megathreads, and there's too many fucking stickies. There, I said it. Light the fucking PA signal...
                Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

You know you want too...
                  Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

It's burnt out...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      Yeah but the only way to get rid of religion Sesh would be to set up a dictatorship and force them to get rid of it or kill them.
                      The way to get rid of religion is to go on about it all the fucking time on a Dave Lee Roth message board.

No actually the way to get rid of religion is twofold. Education and not indoctrinating children.

Almost noone if you took them at 20 and tried to convince them there was a tooth fairy would believe you. A few like Tom Cruise maybe but almost noone.

Religion is a congenital condition otherwise Elvis would be a muslim fanatic. It's an inherited illness.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

That's not fair...

There IS a tooth fairy...

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Um. Take it to a different thread. Are there really no grownups around but me?

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            This is the argument I had with my parents for a while about their grandchildren when they worried about their morality if they didn't go to Sunday School.

It's extraordinary. You think well how am I going to argue this hugely complex issue and then it occurs to you. Flip it around.

Explain to me how Sunday School makes kids better morally preferably giving examples and even better some sort of proper scientific evidence (you may wish to not include people like Adolf Hitler).
                            Sesh, there is no way to explain it. It's all a fairy tale anyways. And yes Elvis, I am fucked in the head.
                            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                              Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Sesh and Elvis -

Get a room.

Oh dear.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Ok. Now back to our regular scheduled program. Now what about those downtown sessions?

It cracks me up seeing Alex Van Halen playing the bongos. The feng shui is more Grateful Dead than Van Halen. Al should set the bongos on fire like he did the drums in the early days.
                                Last edited by Nitro Express; 01-21-2012, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Working...