Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Took another listen to this. I don't think I've ever heard any of this guy's stuff. Kinda reminds me of the lead singer of Y&T - not as "good" to my ear but kinda similar.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by chefcraig
      I was hanging out, watching wrestling on tv, getting high and drinking with a bunch of guitar players from my own and a few other bands the night that VH At The Ten Spot disaster came on. They kept saying "Forget this crap, put the wrestling back on, ya dope." I urged them to stick with it, as it might turn out OK. About five seconds later, Cherone did his "Fire In The Hole" bend over routine, embarrassing not only me but a visably surprised Alex Van Halen. Everyone in the room gave me a highly disdainful glare, the tv remote was ripped from my hand and I lost all musical credibility for roughly the next three months.

As Colonel Kurtz would say: "The horror! The horror!"
      Guess we both got what we deserved for watching that atrocity!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jhale667
        I was still working "in the industry" in '96, and I remember all of us being SO excited around the office when we got an advance copy of "Me Wise Magic" ... it was euphoric.
        Do I need to break out Eddie Murphy's "Ritz Cracker" story again ??
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by DONNIEP
            Took another listen to this. I don't think I've ever heard any of this guy's stuff. Kinda reminds me of the lead singer of Y&T - not as "good" to my ear but kinda similar.
            I vaguely recall a single this guy had in the early 90's. I think is was called Anything At All. Just some cheese whiz pop rock tune.

Yeah, in no ones right mind would this guy be a suitable replacement for anyone.

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
              I vaguely recall a single this guy had in the early 90's. I think is was called Anything At All. Just some cheese whiz pop rock tune.

Yeah, in no ones right mind would this guy be a suitable replacement for anyone.

Not ragging on this guy because who wouldn't want to sing with Eddie & Alex? But his problem is he sounds exactly like 100 other guys from the late 80's early 90's. Slaughter, Bullet Boys, etc... All those singers are totally interchangeable with each other. None are unique which is why none really stood out & had any type of longevity. Even Sammy has some uniqueness to him that the others didn't.

Q: What makes you different from all the other guys in your genre?

A: Uhhh....his name is Mark, mine is Mitch. That's different right? And my hair is prettier.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• fourthcoming

Mitch Cumstein could have done a better job.

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  Do I need to break out Eddie Murphy's "Ritz Cracker" story again ??
                  "DAMN, that's a good cracker! Is that a saltine??"
                  Originally posted by conmee
                  If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                  Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                  I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                  Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                  Originally posted by eddie78
                  I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                    Mitch Cumstein could have done a better job.
                    You mean Mitch "may I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo" Cumstein? You're probably right.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by sadaist
                      Not ragging on this guy because who wouldn't want to sing with Eddie & Alex?
                      I agree with that in the way that Cherone or anyone for that matter would kick themselves for the rest of their days if they passed on the offer. It is, however, perfectly fine to rag on this guy for his lack of style and originality though. It's like you said, carbon copy cookie cutter singers need not apply. How this guy got as far in the running for the job as he did, I'll never understand. Just another sad, unfortunate testimony to just how lost the brothers are without the proper guidance.

Comment

• Top Jimmy
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                        Fuck, the Cherone tour ended up like that. I saw them at the Del Mar Fair..
                        Me too....that was the first time I ever saw "van halen' live, having been raised on Roth era,
                        it was an odd experience seeing that show...turtlenecks....
                        but having done my late teens in the Hagar era, and knowing how little Roth material they did,
                        it was cool hearing stuff like Romeo Delight, and Mikey singing on SGMAD, but it was...I don't know..

HUGE KUDOS to Gary for having the balls to take the job,
                        but I'm glad things (eeeeventually) worked out the way they did.

Ed kicks ass that night, but still....ya know?

I saw DLR solo that same year, totally stole the show from Bad Co..I had a way better time than the Fair.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                          The VH III tour was absolutely painful....

Embarrassing is probably a better word....
                          The only good thing about that tour was Eddie's playing.
                          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• fraroc
                            Commando
                            • Jun 2012

Well to be honest, Mitch sounds too much like an 80s hair metal singer. It's techincally not bad, but its NOT Van Halen and I have a feeling that Mitch would have defiently not the CVH songs any justice.
                            How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

I can see why he eventually stopped getting calls from Ed.

Ugh.

I only listened to the first 30 seconds and I could not stand it any more. Sounded like one of the clones I used to see in bars back in the 80s....where guys would not only sing the songs, but would try to imitate Uncle Dave's mannerisms......and would look like robotic trained monkeys in leg warmers. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but sometimes it crossed the line into idiotic stupidity in the guise of "bar band entertainment".

Mitch had a good voice, but lacked 'balls'. No swagger. No soul. Just a lifeless carbon copy cardboard-cutout imitation of a DLR wannabe.

And I hated Ed's guitar tone on that thing. Talk about dull, lifeless, laboratory sterile.......it sounded like a wet piece of toilet paper compared to the molten atomic blast-furnace grind of the first 2 albums.....
                              Last edited by Hardrock69; 10-11-2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Nov 2004

You can't believe the dude when he says "I'll get her...ah!" - sounds like a hysterical 14-year-old girl...

Guy sounds gay. They should have left that clip in the drawer they found it in.
                                posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

Working...