• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

President Obama Smacks Down Climate Denial Idiocy At Commencement Address

President Obama Speaks on Climate Change at UC Irvine Commencement Ceremony

David Hudson
    June 16, 2014
    01:42 PM EDT

On Saturday afternoon, President Obama addressed the University of California, Irvine's 2014 graduating class and challenged them to get involved in one of our planet's most pressing issues: the growing threat of a rapidly changing climate.

Speaking to more than 30,000 people in attendance at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, the President told the UC Irvine community that he was there for one simple reason: because they asked.

"The UC Irvine community sent 10,000 postcards to the White House asking me to come speak today," the President said. Some people tried to guilt him into coming, while others tried bribery. "I'll support the Chicago Bulls," someone wrote. And another student wanted the President to speak because she thought UC Irvine was "super underrated."

The President reminded the crowd that this young lady could just as well have been talking about her own generation:

In your young lives, you’ve seen dizzying change, from terror attacks to economic turmoil; from Twitter to Tumblr. Some of your families have known tough times during the course of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. You’re graduating into a still-healing job market, and some of you are carrying student loan debt that you’re concerned about. And yet, your generation -- the most educated, the most diverse, the most tolerant, the most politically independent and the most digitally fluent in our history -- is also on record as being the most optimistic about our future.
    And President Obama agreed that this generation should be optimistic, noting that there are fewer Americans at war, more folks have health insurance, and businesses have added millions of new jobs — all in the time since most of this graduating class left high school.

But he reminded the graduates of the many challenges we still face, spending the majority of his address urging them to fight the cynicism and the naysayers and to act on climate change — "one of the most significant long-term challenges that our country and our planet faces."

The President also noted that climate change is a unique issue due to the nature of the opposition to action:

It’s pretty rare that you’ll encounter somebody who says the problem you’re trying to solve simply doesn’t exist. When President Kennedy set us on a course for the moon, there were a number of people who made a serious case that it wouldn’t be worth it; it was going to be too expensive, it was going to be too hard, it would take too long. But nobody ignored the science. I don’t remember anybody saying that the moon wasn’t there or that it was made of cheese.
    He continued, commenting on how certain members of Congress still believe that climate change is a hoax or a fad, or that our planet is actually cooling. Others avoid the question altogether.

They say -- when they’re asked about climate change, they say, “Hey, look, I’m not a scientist.” And I’ll translate that for you. What that really means is, “I know that manmade climate change really is happening, but if I admit it, I’ll be run out of town by a radical fringe that thinks climate science is a liberal plot, so I’m not going to admit it.”
    President Obama reminded those in attendance that historically this has not been a partisan issue — Presidents from Richard Nixon to George H.W. Bush have acted to protect our environment. But Congress refuses to take action, and the broadcast networks' nightly newscasts only spend a few minutes per month discussing climate change.

The President then made clear that he wasn't telling the graduates this in order to discourage them, but rather to "light a fire" under them. "As the generation getting shortchanged by inaction on this issue," he said, "I want all of you to understand you cannot accept that this is the way it has to be."

"This is a fight that America must lead," he continued. "So I'm going to keep doing my part for as long as I hold this office and as long as I'm a citizen once out of office. But we're going to need you, the next generation, to finish the job."

It’s no accident that when President Kennedy needed to convince the nation that sending Americans into space was a worthy goal, he went to a university. That’s where he started. Because a challenge as big as that, as costly as that, as difficult as that, requires a spirit of youth. It requires a spirit of adventure; a willingness to take risks. It requires optimism. It requires hope. That day, a man told us we’d go to the moon within a decade. And despite all the naysayers, somehow we knew as a nation that we’d build a spaceship and we’d meet that goal.
    "Cynicism has never won a war, or cured a disease, or started a business, or fed a young mind, or sent men into space," President Obama said. "Cynicism is a choice. Hope is a better choice."

Hope is the fact that, today, the single largest age group in America is 22 years old who are all just itching to reshape this country and reshape the world. And I cannot wait to see what you do tomorrow.

During the President's speech, he announced a $1 billion competition to combat the effects of climate change and help communities build more resilient infrastructure.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Why doesn't Obama come clean and just say it's all about replacing coal plants with nuclear plants. Uranium hasn't been selling well. The industry wants to change that.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Huh, so it's still considered an honor to have him come speak at your school.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        Why doesn't Obama come clean and just say it's all about replacing coal plants with nuclear plants. Uranium hasn't been selling well. The industry wants to change that.
        Fuck that shit..... unless we can store the nuclear waste in the KKKoch Brothers mansions and in the BCE compound in Maine. In that case, I might be persuaded to support it.

It's time to put every available dollar into 21st century, clean renewable energy solutions. And that means taxing the rich and the corporations. And if it was up to me, it would be retroactive back to 1981.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's not just that the US has too many coal plants, they are also particularly dirty.

I always think that it's weird you hear so little about all the cancers caused by coal plant emissions, their PR companies and lobby groups must be some of the best in the world...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
            Huh, so it's still considered an honor to have him come speak at your school.
            And read you a bunch of bullshit off the teleprompter with a straight face...

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              It's not just that the US has too many coal plants, they are also particularly dirty.
              Not if they use clean coal technology...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                Fuck that shit..... unless we can store the nuclear waste in the KKKoch Brothers mansions and in the BCE compound in Maine. In that case, I might be persuaded to support it.

It's time to put every available dollar into 21st century, clean renewable energy solutions. And that means taxing the rich and the corporations. And if it was up to me, it would be retroactive back to 1981.

Using the trillion dollars from Iraq could have got you well on the way.
                You could then have sold it to the rest of us...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Apparently the coal industry didn't pay Obama enough. The US Department of Energy was going to build a prototype clean coal plant at their nuclear engineering lab. The US has low sulfur coal and there are claims it can be burned clean. They couldn't even build a prototype plant to test the new technology due to lawsuits. In 2008 Obama was all for clean coal and now he's in the nuclear energy pocket.

Everything is a media war now. You can always pay an expert to fudge the statistics anyway you want. The current trend seems to be to scare people and make things urgent. They did this with the bankers bailout and they are doing it with energy.

They had to change global warming to climate change because it's hard to sell global warming when we had record snow storms, low temperatures and it's been snow off and on the last two days.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Climate change is real.

Payouts in the last few years from weather damage are up 500%.

Soon you won't be able to get insurance, that will be the real tipping point

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Using the trillion dollars from Iraq could have got you well on the way.
                      You could then have sold it to the rest of us...
                      Unfortunately, the USucks is strictly a war economy...

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        Not if they use clean coal technology...
                        Even IF (and it's a big IF) they can find a way to BURN coal in a relatively clean matter, it's the mining & extraction process of corporate coal that does as much damage than the burning does.

There's no such thing as "clean" mountain top removal or "clean" coal slurry sludge ponds.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Climate change has always been happening. Nothing new. Wait until a large volcano blows a lot of ash into the atmosphere and we go into a mini ice age. Make notes of the current fear mongering and store them in a safe place for 20 years. Break them out read them and have a good laugh.

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Climate change is real.
                            That's so fucking ignorant...

Of course the climate is changing, it's constantly changing...

Carbon Dioxide and man has nothing to do with it...

It's not even warming as predicted by the unreliable computer models...

But there is a measurable cooling trend going on and the predicted cataclysmic storms are not happening...

So shaddup about "climate change" nobody with a brain is listening...

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Climate change has always been happening. Nothing new. Wait until a large volcano blows a lot of ash into the atmosphere and we go into a mini ice age.
                              Been there, done that.

Wasn't exactly an ice age, but I seem to remember the summer of 1980 being cooler and more rainy than it should be.

On the other hand, we're having a ridiculously colder than normal June right now, and all the volcanoes are asleep around here, as far as I know.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...