DAVE wrote "Intruder"? Who woulda thunk?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brett
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
    Ok Norton!!!

I gotcha and I'll even send you the mag!!! lol.

It's a "Best Of Guitar Player" Mag and I would assume circa 1992 or '93 judging by all of the EBMM ads and the latest interviews were about LRHRN.

The cover has Ed on the VHII tour cos he's got the Yellow Striped Charvel.

It's entitled : VAN HALEN: UNPUBLISHED INTERVIEWS!

It reads:

"In 1978, Young Eddie Van Halen used to call us at 3 A.M. to talk guitars, song, ideas and life on the road.

We kept the tape running..."

Anyway, in an interview with Jas Obrecht entitled "THE VAN HALEN TAPES" on page 24, here it is:

Q: Does Dave play the acoustic on "The Full Bug"?

A: Edward: Yeah, he plays the intro.

Dude wait a second, that interview is from 1978, why would he be talking about "The Full Bug?" Are you sure that it doesn't say "Ice Cream Man," because I recall reading it that way.

Comment

• fatmanwalking
      Full On Cocktard
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Matt White
      Yeah...thanks for sharin'...

the van hagar recordings sure reflected the guitar genius of EVH.....

THe guy has SUCKED for the past 20 years....

I'm startin' to think DAVE played ERUPTION...and taught it to EVH
      IMO Hagar era and Dave's solo albums outside of ETAS are about the same. I am a guitar player so vocalists don't do as much for me as other people. I dig Eddie a lot regardless of who is singing.

However Dave's solo stuff does not compare to anything outside of Diver Down.

I know its Dave site but if Eddie had a site I would say that anything after 1984 was subpar.

Dave's best work was with VH>

Comment

• Matt White
        • Jun 2004

I'll Take ANY DAVE solo over van hagar.....

van hagar is music for housewives & Mullet-farmers

Comment

• DlocRoth
          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Brett
          Dude wait a second, that interview is from 1978, why would he be talking about "The Full Bug?" Are you sure that it doesn't say "Ice Cream Man," because I recall reading it that way.

I think that shit about '78 and leaving the tape rollin is just the intro to the whole "lost interviews" deal. The quote about Full Bug is from a later interview.
          Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Brett
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Ah ok.

I recall that interview, pretty sure I have it in that Guitar World book that came out a few years ago, I'll take a look.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by fatmanwalking

BTW, Eddie also played the acoustic guitar on Big Bad Bill. He said it was a blast sitting next to his dad while reading the charts for the song.
              BTW, that's not an acoustic guitar, It's electric...

Comment

• MAX
                Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Brett
                Ah ok.

I recall that interview, pretty sure I have it in that Guitar World book that came out a few years ago, I'll take a look.
                I should have explained it better.

It is a series of interviews that began in 1978 and go all the way through 1982. That part that I quoted, Ed is doing nothing but talking about the recording of "Diver Down."
                EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Far as Intruder goes, maybe Dave wrote the main riff, which isn't all that complex, but far as that track goes I tend to remember what Ed did on it more than anything else.

Dave has played guitar for a long time. Not in the same league as Edward, but the man is able to play. Matter of fact, when I first saw the Bar-B-Que, was kinda taken aback by the fact that he was purty good. No Segovia, but the man knows how to make that catgut meow. He has ability beyond the open-tuning Ice Cream Man acoustic parts.

Agreed that the Take Your Whiskey Home intro is Ed. I could see Dave playing the Full Bug intro; well within his capabilities.

Think as far as CVH went, Dave was probably more of an ear for Ed to bounce ideas off of than anything else. Never bought into the whole "Dave and/or Eddie is/was CVH" nonsense to begin with. Took all four of 'em to make it happen. But I could see Dave saying to Ed something like "Let's use that part you came up with in the chorus instead of the bridge," or something along those lines.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

I bet DAVE played some guitar on "Could This Be Magic" too.....

Kinda like ROBERT PLANT playing acoustic on LED ZEPPELIN III and not getting credit......

Comment

• MAX
                      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

I bet DAVE played some guitar on "Could This Be Magic" too.....
                      He did.

He played the rhythm part. It was just Dave, Ed and Ted Templeman in the studio when they first cut it with Ed playing slide.

When they did the vocals Nicolette Larson also sang backup.

I've got it in some fuckin' interview somewhere.

They also toyed with ending the song with a cow's "moo" but decided against it. The water you hear in the song is real too cos it was raining heavily when they put down the basic track.
                      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                        He did.

He played the rhythm part. It was just Dave, Ed and Ted Templeman in the studio when they first cut it with Ed playing slide.

When they did the vocals Nicolette Larson also sang backup.

I've got it in some fuckin' interview somewhere.

They also toyed with ending the song with a cow's "moo" but decided against it. The water you hear in the song is real too cos it was raining heavily when they put down the basic track.
                        EXACTLY 'Millian!

DAVE was responsible for WAY more of the CLASSIC VAN HALEN sound then he's ever given credit for......

Comment

• MAX
                          Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

EXACTLY 'Millian!

DAVE was responsible for WAY more of the CLASSIC VAN HALEN sound then he's ever given credit for......
                          That's beyond evident Taeo cos listen to the shit they put out without his imput.

I mean they even brought Ted Templeman back for that "FUCK" album to do with Sammy what he'd always done with Dave and Andy Johns played the Donn Landee role. They recorded it much like "1984" and the songs STILL sucked.

Even Alexia said it himself in 1996:

"There's no denying the chemistry that happens when the four of us play together. Something magical always happens in the music."
                          EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

TRUE 'DAT!!!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2004

The Full Bug intro. has got to be Ed. It sounds like it's played with a pick. Dave always picked with his fingers , generally in open tunings (Ice cream Man).

Could this be Magic & Big Bad Bill were recorded with all of them tracking live. CTBM outdoors during a California rain storm &
                              B.B.B was recorded live while they played in a circle joined by Jan VH on clarinet.
                              Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• MAX
                                Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by diamondjimi
                                The Full Bug intro. has got to be Ed.
                                IT ISN'T!!!

It's DAVE!!!

Fuck, even Ed said so and Dave played it live on The Hide Your Sheep Tour!!!
                                EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

Working...