X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
    A good start to the season, defeating the hated Packers.
    Hell yeah it was.

And Harringotn played pretty well, managed the game.

We had lost 8 of the last 9 to the Pack.

Chicago this week, should be 2-0, 2-0 in the division, headed into the bye week.

Comment

• conmee
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Mar 2003

Looks like I'll have to grace this thread... once again, the Lions proved truly inept and pathetic... look I just spent 3 years in Detroit, and believe me, I pulled for the Lions and for Harrington and Millen and Mooch to turn the ship around, but good god.... to get manhandled like that by a Chicago team starting a rookie QB... hell I think the Detroit papers/talkshows must be wishing Kyle Orton was behind center... and too bad Jerry Garcia broke his leg otherwise Harrington would have been benched by halftime.

This is exactly the kind of inconcistency that has plagued the franchise for decades... sadly, they have an excellent stadium to play in, and the fan base is the absolute best... but good lord, I would almost shed a tear when the 50-70 year old geezers would call in to Stoney and Wojo and wax poetic about the 1952 season and how most folks who remember the last time the Lions were worth talking about have basically died... lol

And Dick "Head" Juron needs to fookin' GO!!!! That guy's defense schemes are worse than Mooch's offense... how can two sad vanilla-flavor minded coaches stay in the league and get paid that much?!?!? It's scary how similar Mooch and Juron are to Lloyd Carr and whatshisface at Michigan... shit won't change till the Fords sell the team.... they give mediocre coaches, players, and managers WAY too much time to fuck up before pulling the trigger and making changes...

Oh well... looking at the schedule... chaulk up three more losses after the bye with games against Tampa, Baltimore, and Carolina... now we're talking 1-4... and who's to say they can even be competitive against Cleveland? Best case scenario is they win against Cleveland and Arizona, and take two from Minnesota (unlikely), that gives them a 5-11 season... and with the way Carson Palmer has settled in at Cincy, and their defense, I can't even count Cincy as a win anymore... I can't imagine how many suicides there will be in Motown if this team goes BACKWARDS and loses MORE games than LAST year... ugh...

I'll still pull for those guys, but I'm glad I moved the hell out of Detroit, just so I don't have to hear Stoney and Wojo and Sean Ballegian rip those guys day in/day out for the entire season...

GO IRISH!!!
      GO CHARGERS!!! (hey, at least the Lions have a win, right?)
      GO PADRES!!!
      GO UNLV!!!!
      GO KINGS!!!! (B-ball)

Icon
      An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
      hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

It is a sad state of affairs.

Although Harrington hasn't had the steadiest enviroment since coming to the Lions, much falls on his shoulders, it's the nature of the game and league.

Yes, he has lots of talent at the skill positions now. But they are all young, and especially with receivers, it takes time. It would be mid-season at the earliest for this offense to gel and generate the type of production everyone wants NOW.

I agree about the Fords. They are staunchly loyal, which is a plus, but it always seems to be to the wrong coaches. I was excited when Mooch came aboard, but now that I have seen his offesne and the play calling, I am ready for him to go, along with Jauron. I thought we would be much more aggressive on each side of the ball this season, using all that speed we have been collecting over the past 3 drafts.

We aren't. And sooner or later, the excuses have to run out on Joey, even if he has had numerous coaches and personel around him. I would give him this season, and by the end if he isn't significantly improved as the receivers and Kevin Jones grow with him, we need to say goodbye.

Hell, the rookie from UConn has looked more impressive.

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

I didn't think we would get blown out by the Bears.

Win, yes.

If not win, lose a close one on the road.

Not blown out.

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

So, Al, what's the over/under on which game Harrington gets taken out for good, similar to Scott Mitchell.

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

With Garcia being hurt ... it isn't what it was.

If we go completely down the shitter, I bet they play the rookie though.

At 6-5, 230 ... he seems to move pretty good and I liked what I saw in the pre-season, they may as well see what they have.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Bryant's prospects are dim

His shoulder injury might need surgery, which could mean the end of his season.

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- While the Lions spent the day licking their wounds and assessing the damage after a 38-6 debacle in Chicago, they got to chew on one more piece of bad news.

The shoulder injury of starting right cornerback Fernando Bryant could require surgery, and, if so, he likely would be lost for the season.

"We will evaluate it again at the end of the week, but it's pretty severe," coach Steve Mariucci said Monday. "It's going to be a lengthy process."

Mariucci said Bryant's left clavicle was dislocated when he collided with receiver Muhsin Muhammad and teammate Kenoy Kennedy on Muhammad's 28-yard touchdown catch Sunday.

"After a week or so, we will know if we are going to rehab him and try to get him back at some point this season, or if surgery will be required," Mariucci said.

Bryant, who had 10 tackles in two games, left the practice facility with the arm in a sling.

"I felt it go out, and I knew I couldn't move my arm," he said. "It's tough. But it's football."

Bryant, who missed six games last season because of an injured ankle, said he couldn't speculate whether he needs surgery.

"I don't know what's going to happen," he said. "Whatever they tell me is best, that's what I will do."

The injury hampers an already thin secondary. Bryant will be replaced by fourth-year cornerback Andre Goodman, who has made 13 career starts.

Vernon Fox, a reserve safety, will miss 2-4 weeks because of a dislocated left elbow.

Long to-do list

Among the Lions' priorities for the bye week, Mariucci said, are re-establishing a running game and stopping one on defense, as well as protecting their passer and getting more pressure on the other passer.

Mariucci defended defensive coordinator Dick Jauron's seemingly passive game plan against the Bears by pointing out that the Lions blitzed 25 times.

Mariucci also pointed out, though, that in most of those situations they sent just one extra blitzer, and usually just a linebacker.

As for establishing the run, Mariucci acknowledged he's said it, but this time he means it.

"We abandoned it early (against the Bears) because of the score, but nevertheless, we have to run the ball," he said. "Kevin Jones had eight carries, and that's not enough."

Out of 67 plays, the Lions deployed their base offense 18 times.

"We are evaluating our schemes and our play selection," Mariucci said.

Sharing time

Rookie wide receiver Mike Williams was on the field for 35 snaps Sunday, nearly the same workload as starter Charles Rogers.

Though Mariucci stopped short of saying Williams was about to replace Rogers, he made it clear the two would split the position almost equally.

"Mike has been getting more time, and that is part of our plan for his development," Mariucci said. "We have been alternating them, and I think there is merit in doing that. It keeps those guys fresh and healthy and playing fast."

Extra points

The Lions hope place-kicker Jason Hanson's right hamstring will be healed in time for the Tampa Bay game Oct. 2.

Just in case it's not, though, they will keep Remy Hamilton on the practice squad. They waived Hamilton, re-signed offensive lineman David Loverne, then re-signed Hamilton to the practice squad.

... Running back Shawn Bryson, who suffered a heel contusion Sunday, is expected to return to practice next week.

... Defensive end James Hall (groin) is week to week.

... There were published reports out of Tampa that the Lions planned to work out former Bucs quarterback Shaun King. Mariucci said though King was on a short list of potential practice-squad candidates, there were no plans to invite him in.

Get the latest local Detroit and Michigan breaking news and analysis , sports and scores, photos, video and more from The Detroit News.

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Mariucci is fucking up too much.

The Lions need to pound, pound, pound that fucking ball down the defensive line's throat. The running game opens up the passing game. Eight fucking carries the whole game???? Come on. We've got Kevin Jones. The dude can carry it at least 25 a game.

:sigh:

This seems to be a perennial problem in Detroit.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                    It is a sad state of affairs.

Although Harrington hasn't had the steadiest enviroment since coming to the Lions, much falls on his shoulders, it's the nature of the game and league.

Yes, he has lots of talent at the skill positions now. But they are all young, and especially with receivers, it takes time. It would be mid-season at the earliest for this offense to gel and generate the type of production everyone wants NOW.

I agree about the Fords. They are staunchly loyal, which is a plus, but it always seems to be to the wrong coaches. I was excited when Mooch came aboard, but now that I have seen his offesne and the play calling, I am ready for him to go, along with Jauron. I thought we would be much more aggressive on each side of the ball this season, using all that speed we have been collecting over the past 3 drafts.

We aren't. And sooner or later, the excuses have to run out on Joey, even if he has had numerous coaches and personel around him. I would give him this season, and by the end if he isn't significantly improved as the receivers and Kevin Jones grow with him, we need to say goodbye.

Hell, the rookie from UConn has looked more impressive.

HEY! This is the Lions thread!

LOL!

I got tired of it all when they firesold their defense in the late 90's! Barry was the nail in the coffin!

All of a sudden Wayne Fontes doesn't look like the schmuck the freep painted him out to be!

Har-har-Harrington is an abortion at QB! He made the Bears look like they were transported from 1985!

Dig the hole and bury his sorry ass forever! Bring in the rookie and don't pile the pressure on him.
                    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Can you believe this shit! I know it's too soon, but the Lions are in 1'st and they didn't even play this past weekend!

Comment

• conmee
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Mar 2003

I guess that's because it's % based and at 1-1 that's a "better" record than Minnesota's/Chicago's 1-2... although with the tie-breaker going to Chicago... lol

Don't worry, they'll have company at the "top" as soon as they drop next Sunday's game... lol

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.
                        An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                        hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
                          HEY! This is the Lions thread!

LOL!

I got tired of it all when they firesold their defense in the late 90's! Barry was the nail in the coffin!

All of a sudden Wayne Fontes doesn't look like the schmuck the freep painted him out to be!

Har-har-Harrington is an abortion at QB! He made the Bears look like they were transported from 1985!

Dig the hole and bury his sorry ass forever! Bring in the rookie and don't pile the pressure on him.
                          I agree with the rookie.

6-5 and 230lbs ... he might be an improvement.

At least 2 of the INTs against the Bears wasn't his fault though.

I'd be shocked with a road win in Tampa this weekend.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

The Lions were robbed this weekend in Tampa.

Pollard had the TD, it was ruled a TD, and the replay system failed miserably.

Everyone who saw it calls it the same, and yet nothing can be done.

Ridiculous.

Should be 2-1, without question.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

DREW SHARP: Rogers needs to look in the mirror

October 3, 2005

BY DREW SHARP
                              FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

TAMPA -- Charles Rogers needs to grow up.

He's disillusioned. It's understandable. And he's not alone. The fraternity of the frustrated swells in membership with each successive offensive sputter, and the Lions' receivers are close to an open revolt against Joey Harrington.

But any sincere assignment of blame begins with the reflection in the mirror.

Rogers is dogging it but seems more interested in placing the leash elsewhere.

"Maybe I ain't the guy for them," Rogers told me as he dressed after the Lions' 17-13 loss to Tampa Bay. "Maybe they're going a different route with it. All I can do is sit back and do what they're asking of me.

"My (practice) reps are getting shorter. I don't know what they're trying to say. Nobody has told me my role. Nobody has explained to me what they expect from me this season. So I'm just feeling my way through this myself."

What's there to explain? His role as the second overall selection in the 2003 is to get his head out of his wallet and produce. And it's his responsibility as someone who has already pocketed more than $15 million in signing bonus and salary to be the hardest worker on the team.

He's not getting it done, and he can't fault a weak clavicle this time. The Lions drafted him to stretch defenses, but now he's stretching only the coaches' patience. He has only five receptions this season, numbers more representative of a little-used fourth receiver.

Rogers has become more big cost than big play. His three career touchdowns mean that he's collected more than $5 million for each excursion into the end zone. Now that's inflation.

But who's to blame for his early indifference? He's miffed that Harrington doesn't bother even looking in his direction, but he conveniently fails to mention how Harrington expected him to streak up the sideline on a hitch-and-go on a first-and-10 in the third quarter. But Rogers gave up on the route and Harrington had no choice but to keep the ball and hit the dirt after a two-yard gain. Rogers didn't get a ball thrown to him until the Lions' final drive with 4:34 remaining in the game, a 15-yard gain.

"It's been like that all season, man," he said. "I don't know. Like I said, maybe they're going in a different route. I don't know where they're going with it, but maybe it just don't involve me, man."

But when asked why he hasn't confronted coaches about any perceived slights, Rogers said he doesn't want any confrontations. He just wants to play the game.

"I haven't gotten to that stage yet," Rogers said of the possibility of talking to coach Steve Mariucci or team president Matt Millen.

The message is pretty clear, but Rogers doesn't want to hear it, or maybe he's got 15 million reasons why he can ignore it. And that's the downside to the hefty frontloaded contracts in the NFL. If you're a rookie, you've already broken the bank before you've proven one thing, and that can have a detrimental impact on a young man's perspective. Rogers must think that he's impervious to accountability.

The Lions have invested heavily in their first-round troika of wide receivers -- Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams -- and the problem is that the players know it. They're the stars. They're the ones that have attracted the national attention. They know they've got the power, perhaps even more than Harrington.

There's no question that Harrington would be benched for Jeff Garcia had Mariucci not endured a moment of mental flatulence in the first quarter of the exhibition finale at Buffalo when Garcia suffered a broken leg when he had no business still playing in an absolutely worthless game. But the truth is that it wouldn't make one bloody bit of difference.

The offense would remain disjointed, its only consistency reflected in the frowns after another disappointing afternoon. There was no solace in the possibility that tight end Marcus Pollard's right knee might have been inbounds on that last drive and that the referees took a last-second victory away from them. The game was lost well before the video replay judge got involved.

It's just easier for this team to gripe than it is for it to grow.

"I can't even control all of that," Rogers said of the frustration. "I'm playing team ball, so whatever they ask me to do, that's what I'm doing, man."

But apparently maturity isn't an option.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

NOTEBOOK: Oh, the catch that got away

Williams: Drop changed the game
                                October 3, 2005

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
                                FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

TAMPA -- Wide receiver Roy Williams blamed himself Sunday after the Lions lost to the Buccaneers, 17-13.

"I put this loss on me, man," Williams said. "I catch that ball, we win the ballgame, 20-17."

The ball came on the first drive. It was third-and-six at the Detroit 32, and quarterback Joey Harrington saw Williams matched up with cornerback Juran Bolden.

"I got excited when Joe gave me the signal to go deep," Williams said. "You could see the smile in my facemask as I'm running, because we watched on film, you can run by this guy any time you feel like. ...

"Just ran by him, man, and Joe put it in a good spot. I jumped for no reason. I was so afraid that he was going to come in and swipe it. That was on my mind instead of just catching the football."

Williams extended for the ball and got his hands on it, but he didn't bring it in.

"I wanted it back so bad," Williams said. "I think I took a little bit of Joe's confidence, and I think I took a little bit of my confidence."

Williams dropped another pass late in the third quarter.

"It was about one inch away from being a good catch," Williams said. "I went to the sideline, and (one of the coaches) said, 'We need those big plays, man.' 'I know we do, man.' It got tipped halfway to me, but I can still make that grab, man."

Williams caught three passes for 54 yards.

HOLT UNHAPPY: Safety Terrence Holt looked back on two chances he had to change the outcome.

The first was Tampa Bay wide receiver Joey Galloway's 80-yard touchdown reception, which broke a 10-10 tie in the third quarter. Galloway split Holt and cornerback André Goodman, caught the ball across the middle and cruised into the end zone.

"I feel like that's my play," Holt said.

The second was Holt's interception early in the fourth quarter. He snatched the ball at the Detroit 26 and returned it 51 yards, but he was upset he didn't take it all the way into the end zone. Tackle Kenyatta Walker got him.

"All I can to do was maybe rip by him or duck my shoulder a little bit," Holt said. "I think he would have missed me."

TOUGH CALL: Goodman picked off a pass in the second quarter, but he was flagged for holding. The Lions could have gotten the ball at the Tampa Bay 27 with a chance to take a 17-3 lead. Instead, the Bucs kept the ball, scored a touchdown and tied the game, 10-10.

"That was huge in the game," Lions coach Steve Mariucci said. "Huge."

Holt disagreed with the call. He thought wide receiver Michael Clayton tripped.

"I think the receiver just fell," Holt said. "The way Goodie was all over him just made it seem it was like some kind of holding call."

ODDS AND ENDS: Defensive end James Hall (groin) and cornerback Keith Smith (shoulder) left the game. ... Jason Hanson (hamstring) kicked field goals of 44 and 23 yards. He had one kickoff go only to the Tampa Bay 26 and another go out of bounds. "He's not 100 percent," Mariucci said. "He kicked field goals before the game only. He did not kick off. He got us through, sucked it up."

Comment

Working...