The NHL Lockout...does anyone REALLY CARE?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aesop
    Commando
    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Snoo
    And we had just gotten 'Doughnut' from St. Louis six days before for a sixth round pick.
    Yep...But they still almost make the finals that year...

...Damn Florida. Remember all those rats???
    Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• Snoo

That fucking Florida series is forever burnt into my brain. We lost game six to the refs, not the Panthers, then Barrasshole forgetting how to stop shots from more than 35 feet away in the third period of (what should've never even happened) game seven. I'll also never forget repeatedly jumping out of my seat during game two of the Finals, when the Avs crushed them 8-1. When it was 5-0 and Forsberg took a shot that was deflected off the glass, then caromed back in front of the net and he tapped it in, I jumped so high in the living room I almost landed in the basement.

Comment

• Bob_R
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lou
        I care alot. I care because I don't want it to come back and I'm afraid it will.
        Jezze.
        Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

The Lockout?!?!

What a shame. I was really hoping to see this one more time!

Comment

• NightProwler
            Sniper
            • Jul 2004

The lockout? As a good friend of mine is fond of saying:

"FUCK THOSE GUYS!"

Comment

• aesop
              Commando
              • Oct 2004

That fucking Florida series is forever burnt into my brain. We lost game six to the refs, not the Panthers, then Barrasshole forgetting how to stop shots from more than 35 feet away in the third period of (what should've never even happened) game seven. I'll also never forget repeatedly jumping out of my seat during game two of the Finals, when the Avs crushed them 8-1. When it was 5-0 and Forsberg took a shot that was deflected off the glass, then caromed back in front of the net and he tapped it in, I jumped so high in the living room I almost landed in the basement.
              LOL...I remember Barrasso getting pegged with 1,000 rats in the 3rd after another weak goal...He had to hide in the net...

...Not the greatest of memories for us Pens fans
              Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Link

Who can forget NO GOAL?:

Pro Ice Hockey
                Your Hockey Questions Answered

The Buffalo Sabres, the Dallas Stars and the famous "no goal."

I am new to hockey and a Dallas Stars fan. I keep hearing that they "stole" the Stanley Cup because of Bret Hull's skate position. What's the real scoop on that call?
                - Michelle, Dallas

There will never be an explanation to this one that satisfies everyone. But at risk of setting off tempers among Dallas Stars and Buffalo Sabres fans, here goes:

You're talking about the goal that won the 1999 Stanley Cup. Brett Hull scored in triple overtime of Game Six, giving Dallas a 2-1 victory over Buffalo and delivering the Stars their first championship.

The first thing you need to know is that the rule that caused all the trouble no longer exists. At the time, players were not allowed in the goalie's crease unless the puck was already there. Here's how the rule was worded:

"Unless the puck is in the goal crease area, a player of the attacking side may not stand in the goal crease. If a player has entered the crease prior to the puck, and subsequently the puck should enter the net while such conditions prevail, the apparent goal shall not be allowed."

This rule was strictly enforced, using video review. Players carrying the puck were allowed to take it into the crease and score (as long as they didn't interfere with the goalie), but if any other player on the attacking team arrived in the crease before the puck, it was no goal. This helped protect goalies from interference, but too many good goals were disallowed because players inadvertently had the toe of a skate in the crease before a teammate scored. It was a dumb, frustrating rule.

When Brett Hull scored his early morning Cup-winner in June, it looked like a classic case of no goal: Hull shoots, Hasek saves. The rebound bounces outside the crease. With his skate, Hull kicks the puck forward to his stick. But as he is kicking the puck, his left skate slides into the blue paint. If you freeze that moment, he's apparently guilty. Brett is in the crease, the puck isn't.

With his left skate planted in the crease, Hull shoots again. This time he scores. The Stars celebrate, the Sabres freak out.

So how did the NHL justify the decision to let the goal stand? Here's what Bryan Lewis, NHL Supervisor of Officials, had to say:

"A puck that rebounds off the goalie, the goal post or an opposing player is not deemed to be a change of possession, and therefore Hull would be deemed to be in possession or control of the puck, allowed to shoot and score a goal even though the one foot would be in the crease in advance of the puck.

"Hull had possession and control of the puck. The rebound off the goalie does not change anything. It is his puck then to shoot and score albeit a foot may or may not be in the crease prior to."

"Did he or did he not have possession and control? Our view was yes, he did. He played the puck from his foot to his stick, shot and scored."

So in the NHL's view, the entire sequence - shot, rebound, kick, second shot - constitutes one instance of "possesion" by Brett Hull. As long as he and the puck are one, his presence in the crease is not illegal.

I'm afraid that's as clear as I can make it. It's all very murky. Throughout the season, goals similar to Hull's had been disallowed. Considering all the evidence, I conclude that the league blew the call and then scrambled like hell to cover its ass.

So does that mean the Stars "stole" the Stanley Cup? Not at all. Officiating is not a science. Refereeing mistakes are as much a part of sport as knuckleballs, field goals and $250 souvenir jerseys. Argentina won soccer's World Cup on a goal that should have been called back. The Patriots needed a suspicious call to get to the Super Bowl. An umpire's mistake probably cost the St. Louis Cardinals a World Series.

It's not much comfort to Sabres' fans, but blown calls are part of the game. Nobody ever said justice was perfect.

Comment

• Snoo

Yeah, I remember that too of course, I was rooting for the Sabres...wasn't surprised when the celebration wasn't stopped.

Comment

• aesop
                    Commando
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by NightProwler
                    The lockout? As a good friend of mine is fond of saying:

"FUCK THOSE GUYS!"
                    Are you referring to the Owners or the Players...

...And don't say both...
                    Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• Lou

Gretzky today said the lockout could go on for another 1½ to 2 years.

This is great news for us hockey-haters.

Pretty soon Arena Football will be the fourth most popular professional sport.

Comment

• teamaa104

the nice thing about the strike is that now there will hopefully be more NBA and college hoops on

Comment

• Bob_R
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lou

Pretty soon Arena Football will be the fourth most popular professional sport.
                          You're a fucking hateful person. Most people who don't care for something don't even pay attention to it. As if it's not even there. I hate basketball, I don't care what the fuck goes on or if they strike. Whatever. If/when hockey returns you'll be pissed.

You need help.
                          Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Full Bug
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lou
                            Someone needs to crosscheck Lou into an oncoming dumptruck.....
                            Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Matt White
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
                              You're a fucking hateful person. Most people who don't care for something don't even pay attention to it. As if it's not even there. I hate basketball, I don't care what the fuck goes on or if they strike. Whatever. If/when hockey returns you'll be pissed.

You need help.
                              He lives in Philly. You'd hate hockey too if you had to be a Flyers fan!

Comment

• NightProwler
                                Sniper
                                • Jul 2004

flyers are STILL pissed that Detroit SWEPT them to win The Cup!

Comment

Working...