X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TFM_Dale
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DlocRoth
    And that's precisely why I don't like Leonard. Everyone is always saying how he exceeded expectations. WTF? He's an all time great!

He had ALL of the skills. But he acted like a little pussy all of the time with his woe is me bullshit.

My fights were such wars that I had to retire....... I gave everything.......

His hype was just SOOOOO staged. As if he wasn't training EVERY day during his "retirements".

If he would have just stood on his own justified merits as a great champion I would have a lot more respect for him.
    Agree 100%, Leonard is an ATG no doubt but his act wore very thin with me. My fave Leonard memory is the beating Terry Norris put on him.

Comment

• TFM_Dale
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Von Halen
      Hearns was fun to watch, but had somewhat of a glass jaw.
      Loved the Hitman, never seemed to be a dull moment in any of his fights and that alone makes him an ATG. I do agree his jaw let him down but hard to fault the man considering how entertaining he was.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by TFM_Dale
        My fave Leonard memory is the beating Terry Norris put on him.
        Yeah, when Leonard was 72 years old....

Just like I could have said "when Joe Louis got his ass knocked out by Rocky Marciano".....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Fairwrning
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Aaron Pryor was a mean fucker as I recall...even if he doped vs Arguello..guy was always non-stop..

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

I actually have Hearns at no. 4 on the Fab Four list, which looks like this:

1) Duran - yeah, he losts to the other 3 but in a P4P sense he is surperior. A natural littleweight should not beat an ATG welterweight or middleweight. That Duran made the fights so competitive is remarkable. He is also - no arguements please - the best 135lbs fight ever. And when you look at who he beat outside of the Fab Four, it's remarkable.

2) Leonard - remarkable in every way.

3) Hagler - if you were to say he was the greatest middleweight ever, I'd struggle to disagree. Until I remembered Carlos Monzon.

4) Hearns - power a-plenty, and a great fight. But I see a few too many weakness to match the other 4 in a P4P sense.
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Originally posted by DlocRoth
              Thanks, brah.

I don't post in this thread anywhere near like I used to. But I still check in quite a bit and I must say that you seven or so regular posters in here most definitely know your shit! I learn new shit and see different, awesome perspectives on things that I thought I had cornered the market on.

After the FF thread went to shit, I think this is the freshest spot on this board.

That being said....

In regards to Joe Louis, I firmly believe that he could EASILY hang with any heavyweight. Any era.

And that's at what? He fought around 200 lbs, give or take 5 or 10 during any given bout?
              I love this thread, too

Louis is an ATG heavyweight, no doubt. And the WAY he fought changed the division (combination punching in particular). I'm not keen on comparing eras with heavyweights, because they've become progressively bigger as time goes on. In a skills sense, Louis is a match for anyone in any era. But I don't know if the great heavies of the past who we all love would be as competitive in the eras from the late '80s onwards - Vitali Klitchscko is 6'7'' and 250lbs with a granite jaw. For Louis to get close enough to him to land punches would be remarkable - how he takes punches from a man 50lbs heavier than him, God only knows.

Personally, I think that if there was some mythical heavyweight contest Larry Holmes would come out on top - big enough to handle the 'super' heavies of the '90s onwards, and skilled enough to whoop anyone before that. But it's all subjective - size matters in boxing, and the heavies of the post Lennox Lewis era are so different from the pre-Tyson one.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

BHOP won again last night in an entertaining fight. He was getting hit more than usual, but he clearly wanted to mix it up a little......

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Loving Bhop trying to talk himself into a fight with Mayweather at 160. You've gotta love his mouth......

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by TFM_Dale
                    Agree 100%, Leonard is an ATG no doubt but his act wore very thin with me. My fave Leonard memory is the beating Terry Norris put on him.
                    The thing i always remember about that broadcast is Leonard interviewing himself about how he would beat Norris that night. If my memory serves me correct they filmed him asking the questions and then filmed him giving the answers, then spliced it together as if there were 2 Sugar Ray Leonards there.
                    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by binnie
                      I actually have Hearns at no. 4 on the Fab Four list, which looks like this:

1) Duran - yeah, he losts to the other 3 but in a P4P sense he is surperior. A natural littleweight should not beat an ATG welterweight or middleweight. That Duran made the fights so competitive is remarkable. He is also - no arguements please - the best 135lbs fight ever. And when you look at who he beat outside of the Fab Four, it's remarkable.

2) Leonard - remarkable in every way.

3) Hagler - if you were to say he was the greatest middleweight ever, I'd struggle to disagree. Until I remembered Carlos Monzon.

4) Hearns - power a-plenty, and a great fight. But I see a few too many weakness to match the other 4 in a P4P sense.
                      I don't have a problem with your thinking here. That is what makes these fighters so great. What i didn't think about with Duran is how Iran Barkely seemed to have Hearns' number yet Duran was able to beat him.

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

Loving Bhop trying to talk himself into a fight with Mayweather at 160.
                        Think he might be even older than that
                        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Detonay Wilder: discuss.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2005

Detonay Wilder: discuss.
                            A lot of power. No one has really clocked him yet other than Lehovic so i'm not sure about his chin. Hopefully they will step up and let him fight a real contender the next time out. See next post.
                            Last edited by sonrisa salvaje; 11-04-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2005

Anyone that didn't see this fight Saturday night on the undercard of the Triple G fight needs to watch.Abdusalamov vs. Perez was what a heavyweight fight should be - a lot of action and throwing in combination. I'm not sure if Deontay Wilder could beat either of these guys. Hate to hear that Abdusalamov is in a coma at this point. Here is the story on his condition as of the morning.

Heavyweight Magomed Abdusalamov of Russia was in a medically induced coma on Sunday following brain surgery to remove a blood clot suffered in a 10-round unanimous decision loss to Mike Perez on Saturday night.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Wilder is explosive, no doubt. I also like the fact that he's not a fat fuck - rare for a heavyweight these days. Agree that no-one has chinned him yet, and that we need to see better competition. I'd keep him miles away from Chris Arreola (fast hands + untested chin = sleepy time), but there's plenty of others who could test him.

He needs to use his jab more, and his balance is shocking. Solving those basics is essential to his development.

Comment

Working...