X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by twonabomber
    you should have told him he needs a new rug.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

LeBron says he will sign five-year extension with Cavaliers
      July 8, 2006
      CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James won't be leaving home anytime soon.

Cleveland's All-Star forward accepted a five-year contract extension worth about $80 million from the Cavaliers on Saturday, a huge relief for the rising team and its fretting fans who worried he might be planning an escape.

James, who in three seasons as a pro has turned the Cavaliers from doormats into NBA title contenders, will sign the deal once the league's moratorium ends Wednesday, said his agent Leon Rose.

"I am very excited and happy to be re-signing with the Cavaliers. Staying in Cleveland ... provides me with the unique opportunity to continue to play in front of my family, friends and fans," James said in a statement released by his publicist. "I look forward to working toward bringing a championship to our great fans and the city of Cleveland."

Unlike fellow 2003 NBA Draft classmate Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat, James waited a week before announcing his intention to take the deal, a delay that had Cleveland fans, who have been burned by broken promises before, fearing the worst.

LeBron James nearly led the Cavs past Detroit and into the Eastern Conference finals. (Getty Images)
      Ever the showman, James let the drama build before agreeing to a deal that will start after the 2007 season and run through 2012-13.

James will make $5.8 million next season, the final year on his rookie contract. The exact amount of James' extension won't be known until later this summer when the league determines the salary cap for next season.

James, who wasn't eligible for restricted free-agency until after next season, has said for months that he loves playing in Cleveland and wants to help the Cavaliers win their first NBA championship.

James was the final member of the '03 draft class to accept the extension. Wade, Denver's Carmelo Anthony and Toronto's Chris Bosh all earlier announced their intent to sign.

Almost from the moment the club selected him with the No. 1 overall pick three years ago, insecure Cleveland fans have worried about a day when James would bolt for a bigger paycheck and brighter spotlight in a bigger market such as New York, Los Angeles or Chicago.

It didn't help that James often wears a New York Yankees baseball cap, a fashion accessory looked upon as blasphemous in Northeast Ohio.

AP NEWS
      The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

CAVALIERS
        Top picks Brown, Gibson sign deals
        Saturday, July 08, 2006
        Branson Wright
        Plain Dealer Reporter
        While the Cavaliers wait for word from LeBron James on the team's offer of a contract extension worth about $80 million over five years, they have made progress on another front.

The Cavs announced Friday that first-round pick Shannon Brown and second-round pick Daniel Gibson have signed contracts. Brown, a guard from Michigan State who was the 25th overall pick, signed a four-year deal worth about $5.5 million. Gibson, a point guard from Texas, signed a two-year deal for about $800,000. Only the first two years of Brown's contract are guaranteed.

Meanwhile, the Cavs and their fans are anxiously awaiting word from James.

He cannot sign the extension until Wednesday because of league rules but he can make his intentions known. Two other prominent members of the 2003 draft class, Denver's Carmelo Anthony and Miami's Dwyane Wade, have said they intend to sign extensions with their teams.

If James does not sign, he will become a restricted free agent next summer. Meanwhile, the Cavs will begin serious discussions with agent Calvin Andrews in Las Vegas this weekend about his client, restricted free agent Drew Gooden. The power forward averaged 10.7 points and 8.4 rebounds last season.

While waiting for James and between discussions about Gooden, the Cavs have continued to talk with agent Mark Bartelstein. He represents forwards Aaron Williams, Devean George, point guard Jannero Pargo and power forward Darius Songaila.

"We're talking about a bunch of things," Bartelstein said. "We'll just continue to work and see where it all goes."

Bartelstein also represents Brown.

In Las Vegas Summer League action on Friday, the Cavs fell, 95-71, to the New York Knicks. Sasha Pavlovic led the Cavs with 20 points, Gibson had eight points, four rebounds and four assists. Brown had five points and one assist.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

bwright@plaind.com, 216-999-4671
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i figured he'd take the deal. good news for the city i guess.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

I guess????

Comment

• Switch84
              Veteran
              • Feb 2004

It doesn't say he did or didn't (in that Plain Dealer post); it says they're still WAITING. Is he stalling for more money or is that Jay-Z & the Nets rumor true?

James has the Cavs building that franchise around him, so he'll take it. Then again, I don't know...I thought Big Ben would take the $48 mill.

Buwhahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!
              "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
              Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                I guess????
                you know as well as i do that even good news doesn't make everyone happy in Cleveland.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

The Plain Dealer was from this morning...

the Sportsline post is from 2:14 PM this afternoon...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

I just posted the latter to show they signed their two picks...

I still want them to trade Gooden and Z...but that's just me...

Comment

• Unchainme
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2005

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAKE THAT AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS ESPN! LEBRONS NOT FUCKING GOING TO THE NETS.

I'M SO FUCKING HAPPY RIGHT NOW!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Not yet...lmfao...

we got him for another 6 years...

so...

the key will be to get him some titles...

and make him happy...

Comment

• Unchainme
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2005

You have to figure he'll get at least one. I keep wondering who were going to bring in. Poj. How are the rookies we brought in this year looking?

Of course it is funny to see ESPN diss cleveland every chance they seem to get, Just because the city isn't big in the nielsen market . Of course If they were smart, they would realize that Cleveland isn't the only city who likes the cavs, Akron, Canton, Columbus, Youngstown, Toldeo, Fuck Even parts of Pittsbugh, and West Viriginia have Cavs fan, When you add that up, its a pretty big market.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like one of those unsatisfied clevelanders, I'm just happy ESPN will Shut up about it for another couple of years .

Comment

• PumpedUpMidget
                            Head Fluffer
                            • May 2005

Smart move by Mr James....Is there a Cleveland Crusaders Chatter thread?? Gerry Cheevers and Paul Shmyr from the late 70's made the hockey world go round.....

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                              Just because the city isn't big in the nielsen market . Of course If they were smart, they would realize that Cleveland isn't the only city who likes the cavs, Akron, Canton, Columbus, Youngstown, Toldeo, Fuck Even parts of Pittsbugh, and West Viriginia have Cavs fan, When you add that up, its a pretty big market.

you can leave Toledo off that list. Toledo acts like they are a suburb of Detroit. i was up there the week of the playoffs, and a lot of places had "Go Pistons" signs in their windows. a couple people gave me (good-natured) shit about my Cavs hat, too.

even when the Tigers suck (which is more often than not), Toledo rallies behind them. and don't even get me started on the Lions...my cousins go to the Thanksgiving Day game every year.

i'll have to look, but i think the cable system up there carries Fox Sports Detroit instead of Fox Sports Ohio.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

That's been historic...

I remember being there when I was a kid...visiting some of my pop's friends...and getting a lesson on Detroit sports...

Comment

Working...