• chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

NFL 2010 Offseason

Chargers release LaDanian Tomlinson

By Associated Press
    February 22, 2010, 4:58PM

BERNIE WILSON

SAN DIEGO -- LaDainian Tomlinson was released Monday by the San Diego Chargers, ending a brilliant nine-year run in which he became one of the NFL's greatest running backs.

The move had been expected for some time. Tomlinson, who turned 30 last summer, was injured early in the 2009 season and finished with 730 yards on 223 carries for an average of 3.3 yards per carry, all career lows.

Tomlinson was due a $2 million bonus in early March, which all but guaranteed he would be cut loose as his role diminished on a team that thrived with a pass-happy offense.

L.T. wasn't immediately available for comment.

Team president Dean Spanos met with Tomlinson on Monday and informed him of his release.

"This is a part of the business that I hate, and it's particularly hard when you're dealing with someone I consider a friend," Spanos said in a statement. "Change involving great players is never easy. I respect L.T. as much or more than any player I've ever known. And no one appreciates his contributions to this organization more than I do. That is why this is such a difficult announcement for me to make."

Tomlinson ranks eighth on the all-time rushing list with 12,490 yards. He was the NFL's MVP in 2006, when he set NFL single-season records with 31 touchdowns and 186 points.

He won the NFL's rushing title in 2006 and '07.

Chargers release LaDanian Tomlinson | Staten Island Sports Top Stories - - SILive.com

Give us our money back: NFL requires $4,285.13 reimbursement for McKinnie's Pro Bowl absence

By Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Vikings left tackle Bryant McKinnie must pay back the NFL for his non-participation in the Pro Bowl.

The NFL said Friday it will require a $4,285 reimbursement from McKinnie for expenses incurred that week in Miami. McKinnie skipped most of the team practices and obligations, and was then dismissed from the NFC all-star squad.

NFL spokesman Randall Liu also said McKinnie has forfeited his $22,500 game check.

Liu said the league's competition committee will review the matter and determine whether additional action should be taken to deter such conduct at the Pro Bowl in the future.

McKinnie blamed his absence on a foot injury and miscommunication about his desire to withdraw from the team.

Give us our money back: NFL requires $4,285.13 reimbursement for McKinnie's Pro Bowl absence - latimes.com

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Moss doesn't expect to be a Patriot after 2010

JUPITER, Fla. -- Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss, who is entering the final year of his contract, said that he doesn't expect to get a new deal with the Patriots and that he thinks he'll be looking for a new team after this season.

"I don't think they are going to extend my contract here," said Moss, speaking to reporters at the charity softball game of former Patriots teammate Heath Evans.

"I understand the beast, the nature of it. I think that just with what I think and what I know I don't think they're going to re-sign me back. So, after this season if there is not a lockout I'll be looking for a new team. I got a lot of respect for the Patriots and what they did for me and my family. So, the only thing I can do is just play this year out and see what my future holds after that. "

Moss is slated to make $6.4 million in base salary in the final year of the three-year, $27 million deal he signed with the Patriots following his record-setting 2007 season. He was still productive last season, catching 83 passes for 1,264 yards and tied for the NFL lead with 13 touchdown receptions.

Moss was asked why he felt the team wouldn't bring him back.

"It's the business of it, man," said Moss, who turned 33 this month. "You got to understand the business of football. There is not bad blood. There is no animosity on my side or their side. I think it's just the nature of the business of the NFL.

"You know the Patriots don't really pay, so when I got my second contract from them that was a blessing in disguise. I understand the business. I don't think they're going to re-sign me back. I'm not mad. I'm not bitter. It's just the way things are in this NFL, so like I said after this year I'll be looking for a new team. I think so."

Moss was asked to expound on his theory that the Patriots "don't really pay" and said it's just the organization's philosophy.

"That's not a knock on them. That's just how they run their organization," said Moss. "That's how it is. Put it like this, I guess that before I came there the philosophy was believing in their system. I think that's where they really don't pay guys because they have so much faith in their system. I didn't mean it as a knock against the organization. They just don't pay. If as an individual I'm not really in their future plans I would like to go elsewhere."

Like Moss, quarterback Tom Brady is also entering the final year of his contract. Moss was much more optimistic about Brady's future as a Patriot than his own.

"Like I said, man, I don't really know what's going on with his situation or his contract, but if you ask me personally I think that Tom Brady is going to be a New England Patriot," said Moss. "But as far as me I don't really know. I know I would like a new contract. I think I've done enough to have a new contract.

"The last couple of years I've played through so much. You know I've never let the team down, as far as going out there every Sunday. I still showed at 32 years of age, now I'm 33, that I am durable. So, like I said if they want to give me a new contract I would entertain that, but I don't really think that I'm going to be a New England Patriot next year. So, I'll play this year out and then look for whatever the future is next."

Moss doesn't expect to be a Patriot after 2010 - Extra Points - Boston.com

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Philadelphia Eagles release versatile running back Brian Westbrook

By The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA — Running back Brian Westbrook was released Tuesday by the Philadelphia Eagles, ending an often-dynamic eight-year run marred by various injuries.

A former All-Pro, Westbrook led the league in yards from scrimmage in 2007 with 2,104. He rushed for 1,333 yards and accounted for 12 touchdowns that season.

But he spent much of last season on the sideline, missing eight games with two concussions and an ankle injury.

Westbrook, 30, was due $7.25 million next season.

Eagles coach Andy Reid said Westbrook should have an opportunity to play for another team.

Carolina's Peppers to be a free agent

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Carolina Panthers decided the price is too steep to keep their all-time sacks leader.

Julius Peppers, a five-time Pro Bowl defensive end, is about to become one of the top prizes in free agency.

General manager Marty Hurney announced the team won't place the restrictive franchise tag on Peppers for a second consecutive year; using the tag would have cost the Panthers at least $20.1 million.

Peppers, 30, will become an unrestricted free agent March 5, meaning the Panthers will likely lose their top defensive player without compensation.

Notes

• The Seahawks announced they signed defensive end Ricky Foley and punter Tom Malone, more than a week after agreeing to terms.

• San Francisco placed the nonexclusive franchise tag on nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin and hope to sign him to a long-term contract. The tag guarantees Franklin, 29, slightly more than $7 million for the 2010 season.

• Ex-Oakland assistant Randy Hanson sued Raiders coach Tom Cable and the team for damages suffered during a training-camp scuffle that allegedly resulted in Hanson being treated for a fractured jaw and broken teeth.

The suit alleges Cable "without warning or provocation" grabbed Hanson during an Aug. 5 coaches meeting at the team's Napa, Calif., hotel. Cable threw Hanson against the wall, causing Hanson's face to strike a table, and hit Hanson, the lawsuit said.

Cable, 45, is a former Snohomish High School player.

• Pro Bowl receiver Vincent Jackson, 27, of the San Diego Chargers pleaded guilty to a charge of driving under the influence and was sentenced to four days in jail and five years of probation.

• DeMaurice Smith, NFL Players Association executive director, sent a memo to players and their agents, telling them it is likely no new collective-bargaining agreement will be reached and the upcoming season will be played without a salary cap.

The NFL has not had an uncapped season since 1993.

Seahawks | Philadelphia Eagles release versatile running back Brian Westbrook | Seattle Times Newspaper

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

Packers.com » News » Press Releases » February 24, 2010: Packers Place Franchise Tag On NT Pickett

The Green Bay Packers have designated NT Ryan Pickett as their franchise player. The move was announced Wednesday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

"Ryan has been a good teammate and productive player for us on the field and also a good representative of the Packers in the community," Thompson said. "We look forward to having him be a part of our future."

Pickett recently completed his ninth NFL season and fourth in a Green Bay uniform. In 2009, he totaled 47 tackles (25 solo) and one pass defensed and was a key member of the Packers' top-ranked run defense.
        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
          Commando
          • Apr 2006

The Eagles would be smart to get rid of McNabb and turn the offense over to Kevin Kolb. Westbrook is done and McCoy is ready to take over the rb position for the Birds, even though he won't be as effective as Westbrook in his prime. I remember when people were saying that Tomlinson was going to break Emmitt Smiths rushing record and I said NEVER, won't happen. It's all about longevity in the NFL, and he doesn't have it. Maybe the Cowboys could trade Barber to the Chargers for a draft pick or two. I think he and Sproles would be a nice one two. The Boys don't need Barber, they have Felix Jones and Tashard Choice.

Comment

• Pennypacker
            Foot Soldier
            • Mar 2009

Whats with these reigning NFL MVP RB's that suddenly fall off the face of the earth?

Shaun Alexander? I heard last that he was going to play for the Argos up here!
            Priest Holmes , dont think he won the MVP but he had amazing numbers.
            And now the legend Tomlinson.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

The normal turnover for NFL running backs is only 4-5 years, they just get too banged up.....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                Veteran
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Pennypacker
                Whats with these reigning NFL MVP RB's that suddenly fall off the face of the earth?

Shaun Alexander? I heard last that he was going to play for the Argos up here!
                Priest Holmes , dont think he won the MVP but he had amazing numbers.
                And now the legend Tomlinson.
                As Dave would say, "Here today, gone late today."

Shaun Alexander still had something left at the time no one chose to pick him up. He went from being in the super bowl to not playing in 2 years. That is just crazy. Shaun didn't have near the kind of injury plagued seasons that Tomlinson has had, and i'll bet Tomlinson gets picked up by someone. With Westbrook, i really wonder if he has anything left in him.
                RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                  Commando
                  • Apr 2006

The date has come and gone to franchise players and the Cowboys elected not to franchise Miles Austin. If Jerry Jones doesn't sign him to a long term deal, he could be had for a 1st and 3rd.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Bills decline to offer contract to Owens

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—Terrell Owens is on the market after the Buffalo Bills announced Saturday they do not plan to offer him a contract.

The Bills also declined to offer contracts to defensive end Ryan Denney and wide receiver Josh Reed, allowing them to become unrestricted free agents at midnight on March 5.

“We wanted to inform all three players ahead of the start of the free agency period so they could begin making their plans,” Bills general manager Buddy Nix said. “We just felt that was the right thing to do. All three have represented our organization with class and we thank them for their dedication and hard work.”

Owens, who will turn 37 in December, caught 55 passes for 829 yards and five touchdowns in his only season in Buffalo. He also ran for a touchdown.

“I would like to thank the great fans in Buffalo, Ralph Wilson & the Bills organization for all their supports this past season,” Owens said on Twitter.

The six-time Pro Bowl receiver caught his 1,000th pass in Week 16 at Atlanta to become the sixth player in league history to reach the milestone. Owens then moved into third place on the career list with 14,951 yards receiving in a 30-7 win over Indianapolis in Week 17.

Denney and Reed were both second-round picks in the 2002 draft.

Denney made 318 tackles and 23 1/2 sacks in his career, while Reed is fifth on the club’s career receiving list with 311 catches for 3,575 yards.

Bills decline to offer contract to Owens - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2007

NFL's sudden-death proposal has some life - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Under the change being considered for postseason games, a field goal on a team’s first possession wouldn’t equate to victory.

If the team that got the ball first scored a field goal, the other team could kick a tying field goal on its next possession, and the game would then revert to the current sudden-death scoring rules. If the team that got the ball first didn’t score at all, immediate sudden-death would also ensue. Any touchdown in overtime, even on the first possession, would end the game.

i think this could work
                      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

I hope so. Winning a game on a coin toss is absurd. I still like the college way of handling overtime better, though.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Apr 2005

Overtime has to change !! Its beyond stupid.

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

I'm so bummed about Ladanian leaving SD. Dude should be able to stay, in any role, until he retires.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2007

NEW YORK (AP)—It just got a lot tougher to throw against the New York Jets.

A few hours before the NFL’s free agency period began, the Jets improved their secondary in a big way by agreeing in principle with the San Diego Chargers to acquire talented but troubled cornerback Antonio Cromartie(notes) on Thursday night.

Jets reach agreement with Chargers for Cromartie - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Comment

Working...