• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

More tributes for the great man.....

Courtesy of Knac.com

Tribute to Ronnie James Dio are pouring in. The following is a sampling of some of them:

David Ellefson (MEGADETH): "He was truly one of the 'good guys' in this business and a consummate pro, someone we can all take a cue and learn from. We are all fans of his and he did many great things for Megadeth and its members, starting starting as far back as his Dream Evil North American tour in which we were the support band during the So Far, So Good...So What tour. I'm very thankful to have gotten to know and tour with him in both Megadeth and with Tim "Ripper" Owens. Wendy Dio looked after Ripper's European tour where we played several shows with HEAVEN & HELL and we got to have many good moments with Ronnie during that tour. He is missed by us all. Our prayers go out to him and his family at this time. Long Live Ronnie James Dio."

Danko Jones: "I just heard that Ronnie James Dio died today. This news is very sad. He was the greatest rock singer of all time. I’ve said it on record many many times. He will be greatly missed by all of Rockdom. In 2004, I got to meet Dio and he was so gracious and down-to-earth, then he got up on stage and schooled everyone. We all have the records: Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules, Holy Diver, Last In Line, Dream Evil, Rainbow Rising, Long Live Rock ’N' Roll. I can’t listen to them today because it’s too hard, but tomorrow I will crank these up. R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio."

Tairrie B. (MY RUIN): "Just read that Ronnie James Dio has passed away. It's another sad day in metal with the loss of one more rock God and true talent taken too early. May he join the other legends in heaven while is voice burns bright like a rainbow in the dark with the music he left behind. Gone but will never be forgotten."

Stu Block (INTO ETERNITY): I'm still taking in the fact that we have lost yet ANOTHER timeless metal musician. R.I.P., Ronnie James Dio. A life that was lived to the fullest and also influenced thousands and thousands of musicians. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Cancer is a battle for many people these days; the world is losing many talented,loving and wonderful people. Do what you can to prevent and/or help find a cure. Stay healthy, my friends!"

Joel Gausten (MISFITS): "50+ years of music. The voice to the soundtrack of generations has passed. There will never be another. RIP Ronnie James Dio."

Robb Flynn (Machine Head): "Dio was a true gentleman.

Machine Head had the opportunity to open for Heaven & Hell in May of 2007, and having never met or toured with Ronnie James Dio, it was a HUGE honor for all of us.

On the first night of the tour in Phoenix, Arizona we celebrated, uh, quite heavily, and though the Dio dressing was heavily fortified with an army of security, I somehow managed to bullshit my way in and say hello. He had no idea who I was, but acted like we were old friends. After that, he always made a point to poke his head in our dressing room and say 'hi,' or give Dave (McClain / drums) shit about 'his San Antonio Spurs choking,' or sometimes just to give us a $100-dollar bottle of wine they were going leave in their dressing room. All class.

He was a powerhouse singer. Incredible tone, and grit. His voice onstage was FUCKING LOUD!! Shockingly loud!! We were lucky enough to watch from side stage almost nightly, and all of us were blown away by how loud his voice was.

His memory was staggering. He remembered my wife's name almost a year later, after only a brief one-minute introduction, and it charmed her to no end. He remembered my name a year after touring with him, in a crowd of people, without missing a beat, and asked how my kids were and kissed me on both cheeks when we said goodbye. I turned to my friend and was like, 'Dude, Dio just remembered my name and kissed me on the cheek, fuckin' High 5!!

When my parents moved to Fremont, California as I began the seventh grade, it was a pretty lonely time for me. I became friends with a girl named Lori Kibby who played me the first heavy metal record I would ever hear. It was Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell. It terrified me, enthralled me, captured me entirely. The imagery, the name, the title, it made me want to listen over and over and over again, in particular the songs 'Heaven and Hell', 'Children Of The Sea' and 'Die Young'. My first garage band, (the awesomely-named INQUISITOR) covered 'Stand Up And Shout'.

Would I have found metal without him? Maybe. But man, I feel so very fortunate to have had Ronnie James Dio as my first guide into the awesome world of metal.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for everything you've done for music, Ronnie. Horns."
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• jero
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

That little dude!
      <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOwZBo8FQvo&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOwZBo8FQvo&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Jesus...you lazy fuck should go through the whole thread...doubleposting dutchbag of a faggot...
        Roth Army Icon
        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• jero
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Sorry dude!

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

I've been trying to think of something worthy to say as I'm totally bummed by this.

Personally it hits home, and DIO was such a powerful entity in my favorite genre,
            that its unfathomable to accept that such power could be snuffed out by cancer.
            This guy has been around performing, longer than most of us have been alive.
            I never got to meet RJD in person, but did get to see him 10 rows back, center
            in the 80's, touring on the strength of Holy Diver. To this day that concert
            is one of the best I have ever seen, I struggle to think of any other performer
            that actually sounded better live than the recording. It was though the PA could
            have blown, and he would still have blown away everything away that night.

It was a great time of my life, everyone that was there was touched by his
            magic. I swear I could hear him behind the amplification. It was a 20,000
            gig, though he performed like there was a million of us there in unity.

We never realize what we have, until its gone.

RIP DIO. Love is all.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6sn1UqbbbqQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6sn1UqbbbqQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jero
              Sorry dude!
              as if...
              Roth Army Icon

Comment

• jero
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Fuck you anyway

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qZktrrqT1A0&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qZktrrqT1A0&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
                  Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Mr Walker
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Still mourning...

I was listening to 'Elves - Live At The Bank' last night while I was doing some work on the computer for my wife.
                    What a great collection of live covers with Dio's unmistakable stamp on them...
                    'Four Day Creep', 'Cross-Eyed Mary', 'An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down', 'Black Dog'...
                    Looks like these links are still functioning (surprised they haven't crashed yet)

Comment

• Mr Walker
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister of MOTÖRHEAD has released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"I'm truly upset, especially since he seemed to be rallying at the [Revolver] Golden Gods show [on April 8, 2010 at Club Nokia in Los Angeles, California].

"Bon Voyage, Ronnie. Rest in peace.

"I'm devastated"

Comment

• kissfan1976
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2010

Yesterday's News Report From Houston

http://www.39online.com/news/local/k...,3274950.story

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Saxon Singer Biff Byford Comments On Ronnie James Dio's Passing
                          posted May 18, 2010 at 7:14 AM by Diamond Oz. (0 Comments)

Biff Byford, lead vocalist of the legendary British heavy metal band Saxon, has posted a message online detailing his thoughts on the passing of iconic heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio. The message reads as follows:

"Today I heard my friend Ronnie Dio has lost his battle. It is a great loss to us all. I first met Ronnie in the early eighties when we played with Black Sabbath and BLUE ÖYSTER CULT, the infamous Black And Blue tour. I first heard him sing on Butterfly Ball and from that moment I understood what great singing was all about, he was at the top of his game from then on. His voice was always powerful and soaring his phrasing was uniquely his, copied by many but never bettered. I will miss him as we all will. The last time we met was in Finland last year, both bands stranded in an airport with flight delays. What do you do, go to the bar, get drunk and tell rock and roll stories. He told great stories. Deepest condolences to his family.

"Somewhere in the night a candle burns for you.

"To absent friends."

Denim and Leather,,

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

I honestly couldn't remember whether I had seen Dio in concert before, whether that was solo or with Sabbath, etc.... Had to consult my concert list, saw him here in VA Beach with Deep Purple and the Scorpions in 2002....
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Mr Walker
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

I remember an argument I had with my wife a few years ago over (I do love the fact that she isn't a 'Metal' fan). Anyway... we were 'debating' who was more of an icon... RJD or Bon Jovi... (ok, have you stopped laughing yet?)

I forget what her bullet points were, but I basically laid out the fact that hundreds of years from now after someone shorts out all the power grids and the world goes back to zero and some mutated race of survivor beings start to evolve over time, the day will come when a large group of them will assemble and a few of them will start banging some objects together & howling and making a racket... once the others get worked into a frenzy, you know that one of them is going to throw up the devil horns as he bangs his head... "Dio wins and so do I". Might have been only the second or third argument I won in our 20+ years together.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                                I first heard him sing on Butterfly Ball
                                Got that in the playlist today

Comment

Working...