A Nugent interview even jhale would like...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Stewart Copeland in an interview said never take any real life advice from someone famous. He said famous people live in the bubble. He said when he was in The Police when they hit fame, a wall goes up. That was to protect the band from outsiders trying to get in. He said the next thing you know, you aren't driving a car, going out like a normal person, or buying your own groceries. He said you get isolated and you no longer are part of the real world and in fact he says, you don't even know who you are anymore. He said it's spooky and is why he's apt to give people like Britney Spears a break because he says that fame thing can crack you if you aren't strong enough.

So the moral of the story is ignore the political views of famous people and that includes Ted Nugent. He might be a good source of information on playing a guitar or rock and roll in general. You might enjoy Double Live Gonzo, but on real world subjects? new. Ted lives in a bubble he created a long time ago.
    I think the same could be said of Dave Roth as well especially until he did the EMT thing and started to rejoin the world.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
      Full Member Status

• May 2010

It is ok to say your musical tastes changed or you didn't buy any albums by so and so after awhile.

BUT!!!

To rally your gay asshole into a lumberjack shirt in 1990 and say you are now a grunge hippie and all that came before is twatterry, is no different,.. and I guess, you also in 2002 threw all your lumberjack shirts away and bought some, Ed Hardy shirts and a can of orange spray tan and then decided you needed some more Ink on your forearm, maybe some india ink blue tiger claw marks..LOL LOL!!!! for your slave to fashion asshole.

Ted is one of the best technical and skilled lead writers,guitarists, musicians who actually created, albums that sold and many more over, 40 fucking years .

You people are no different than broke actors, broken asses making save the dead dogs and cat commercials for money to get a shot back in a sitcom sell out all you are about as the trends change, on your daily TV box.

Teds hundred of thousands of entertained and satisfied concert goers over the years think, you slave to the moment sissies are the funniest people who walk the earth. I hope you also had fun with the Gerber Baby fag little hair gel spike on your forehead something as gay as a dude with a tramp stamp tattoo.

And the godamned fact that you all went with Hagar and now are back saying DLR is the shit...FUCK YOU!!!

By the way as of a couple years ago all your Ed Hardy shirts should have been thrown out...whats next who are you NOW!!!!
      Last edited by clarathecarrot; 11-07-2012, 11:06 AM.
      2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
      clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
        And yes, I agree he is now the Sammy Hagar of lead guitar.

But back in the mid-70s, he was viewed as a really heavy rocker. Just the volume alone was enough.......

Though by 1980 I had outgrown his stuff....he was useful to me for the simple songs he wrote which I could easily learn, for demonstrating that done properly, feedback could be harnessed and used to one's advantage in rock songwriting and performing, and he had the ego large enough to entertain 12-15,000 people a night.......

But my interests were much more varied by 1980.....I think Double Live Gonzo was the last album I had bought by him........

Ted has his moments, but all politics and Ted's related hypocrisies and smarmy behavior aside, Ted's biggest enemy was his ego and need to push everyone out of the spotlight when on stage. He simply couldn't work with other people very long because no one wanted to put up with his deluded megalomania bullshit. Derek St. Holmes is playing a local bar this month and I might go see him since it's not too far away, and he probably sang on some of Ted's best songs like "Stranglehold", and added a bit of much needed soul and depth. But I'm pretty sure the story is that Terrible Ted drove him out and refused to do anything close to a collaboration with him that could have had merit and been actually influential. The Amboy Dukes fell apart largely because of his ego, and Damn Yankees was a jerked-off power-ballad factory. The truth is that despite all of Ted's bravado on musicianship and showmanship, he simply isn't very interesting without other people telling him he's an asshole and to check his excessive guitar-wanking for the sake of a decent song...

Ted Nugent is soul-deaf and depth-deaf and his rock-crazy-man-act is boring, completely one-dimensional, and ultimately wears thin. That's why Ted is a marginal, nostalgia act today running around with his bullshit school boy political views pandering to a shrinking niche-market audience of aging white males whose only other alternatives are bad country bands, name bands featuring rental-replacement members, and the Sammy Hagars of the world...
        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-07-2012, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          I think the same could be said of Dave Roth as well especially until he did the EMT thing and started to rejoin the world.
          I think you are right there. Stewart just said for him that fame bubble was really frightening. He said it's one of the reasons The Police broke up. Being normal was more important than the money.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Ted wasn't political in his heyday. He was just fucking nuts and really over the top. It was on the edge rock and roll and fucking LOUD when he was playing all those Fender amps.

When Derek St. Holmes was in the band it was pretty good. I love the tone Derek gets on his solo here.
            Ted's politics back in the day came across as a slightly hip 70's libertarian rather than a grandstanding reactionary Republican douche-nozzle spouting blatant bullshit that even he doesn't really believe in all probability. Unfortunately, I really do think Ted is a bit mentally ill...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
              It is ok to say your musical tastes changed or you didn't buy any albums by so and so after awhile.

BUT!!!

To rally your gay asshole into a lumberjack shirt in 1990 and say you are now a grunge hippie and all that came before is twatterry, is no different,.. and I guess, you also in 2002 threw all your lumberjack shirts away and bought some, Ed Hardy shirts and a can of orange spray tan and then decided you needed some more Ink on your forearm, maybe some india ink blue tiger claw marks..LOL LOL!!!! for your slave to fashion asshole.

Yeah Thome, I guess those fags in Pearl Jam are so gay! I mean, what kind of band doesn't go onstage with painted toenails, lipstick, rouge, skintight pleather and spandex?

I love metal, but thank God Grunge killed off the hairbands...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I think you are right there. Stewart just said for him that fame bubble was really frightening. He said it's one of the reasons The Police broke up. Being normal was more important than the money.
                The bubble is frightening because they let it get frightening. The real problem is when aging celebrities are either forced to rejoin the real world or became delusional fuckwits joining the ranks of being famous-for-have-once-being-famous...

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
                  By the way as of a couple years ago all your Ed Hardy shirts should have been thrown out...whats next who are you NOW!!!!
                  Ed Hardy was old when he was new. Ed "Big Daddy" Roth on the other hand, never seems to age.

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  I love metal, but thank God Grunge killed off the hairbands...
                  Unfortunately, it really did not. All grunge did was send the hair-heads back to the minor leagues, where I was (then) making a living. Opening up for these insufferable shitheads was enough to send me into the sidelines, playing in country bands with George Strait impersonators, who then evolved into Garth Brooks wannabes. Next thing ya know, country has turned into pop-product and has gotten about as authentic to the music's true spirit as Olive Garden or Chef Boyardee are to fine Italian cuisine.

Steve Earl and Travis Tritt were about the only saving grace, along with Lee Roy Parnell and Joe Diffie. For the rock side of things, fortunately enough I had Husker Du and the Replacements to fill in the gaps.
                  Last edited by chefcraig; 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Unfortunately, I really do think Ted is a bit mentally ill...
                    The only thing so unfortunate about that is how his devoted fans still take him seriously. Ted was way before my time so I really don't give a shit for his boring 'Cat Scratch Fever' misogynist cock-rock ethic and his whole 70's arena rock cunt culture vibe. However, with that said, Ted has somehow managed to maintain a strange currency in today's pop culture due to his political spewing than his repetitive guitar playing. Does the guy even have a legitimate recording contract these days? Anyway, his persona to me is a part paranoid personalty disorder, part autistic child, and part asshole where gun culture and the idiocy that goes with it is somehow rock 'n' roll. He claims to be Rethuglican but you're right, he's more of a clueless quasi-liberatian where "freedom" is based upon how many animals you can slaughter for your top of the food chain quotas.

I don't mind that the guy lives in his sheltered paranoid bubble of nonfactual evidence. I know I live in mine. But again, what gets me about Ted is how what he says seems to taken as carved in stone right wing philosophy for those who live in trailer parks watching NASCAR all day long. That being a redneck with long hair is a divine provocation to hate all that is different from those who happen to be better educated and cultured than Ted's mindless diatribes with all that's wrong with America. And I don't believe it either when this asshole prides himself that he has never taken drugs. He just didn't keep on popping, injecting, snorting smoking them due to the fact they exacerbated his paranoia to the point where he could not handle them anymore.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

The bubble is frightening because they let it get frightening. The real problem is when aging celebrities are either forced to rejoin the real world or became delusional fuckwits joining the ranks of being famous-for-have-once-being-famous...
                      The thing is all the guys in The Police were real musicians who could actually read music. Sting was a jazz musician but couldn't make a living at it. They all pretended to be punk musicians and scored. Once they were known then they went off and did what they wanted to do. Sting started his jazz band and made money at it. Stewart fell into writing movie scores and still does. Andy did his thing.

As far as Ted Nugent goes no he's not the big airplay star anymore. His main passion is hunting and he owns several hunting preserves. He tours the summer fair circuit and pulls in huge audiences of rednecks. The reason why is he doesn't want to lose his chops and he still loves playing live.

He might be nuts but I tell ya, I want that kind of energy and drive when I'm his age. The man makes a good living doing what he loves. He's lucky.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Ted's politics back in the day came across as a slightly hip 70's libertarian rather than a grandstanding reactionary Republican douche-nozzle spouting blatant bullshit that even he doesn't really believe in all probability. Unfortunately, I really do think Ted is a bit mentally ill...
                        I think when David Lee Roth said rock and roll is when someone takes a map of the world and tilts it and everything loose and unscrewed rolls into it was the damn straight truth. Most rock musicians are nut jobs. Davie is a bit nuts. I just see it as it gives people who never would make it in a normal job a way to make a living and probably keeps a few of them out of the prison system. I never took rock and roll seriously. It's disposable trash to me but the more trashy and shallow it is, the better it is. It's just a bunch of color ways to say "FUCK YOU!". Fuck the establishment. Fuck the man. I'm going to do what I want.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          Ed Hardy was old when he was new. Ed "Big Daddy" Roth on the other hand, never seems to age.

Unfortunately, it really did not. All grunge did was send the hair-heads back to the minor leagues, where I was (then) making a living. Opening up for these insufferable shitheads was enough to send me into the sidelines, playing in country bands with George Strait impersonators, who then evolved into Garth Brooks wannabes. Next thing ya know, country has turned into pop-product and has gotten about as authentic to the music's true spirit as Olive Garden or Chef Boyardee are to fine Italian cuisine.

Steve Earl and Travis Tritt were about the only saving grace, along with Lee Roy Parnell and Joe Diffie. For the rock side of things, fortunately enough I had Husker Du and the Replacements to fill in the gaps.
                          Grunge took it back to stinky old clothes and three chords. It kind of crawled into the hippie hole again. That's why it was a Northwest thing. The last haven of hippie trash and note you had that neo hippie trend in the 90's. LA had become too glam or the glam turned to cheese. I think it was the later. Then grunge got too big and predicable and the public went ZZZZZZZzzzzzz.

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

. Sting was a jazz musician but couldn't make a living at it.
                            Exactly when was this? To me a "jazz musician" is Eric Dolphy, Pat Martino, Stan Getz, Freddie Hubbard but..Sting? Larry Grenadier is a (proper) jazz bass player (probably my all time fav) but Sting is a pompous douche who claims to like jazz to sell his abominable records to yuppies who think listening to George Benson's 'Breezin' somehow makes them affinatos on the genre. PLEASE give me an example where Sting has ever improvised? Even his god-fucking-unlistenable bass lines are looped ("Spirits In The Material World'). Even other jazz musicians can't stand him. Wynton Marsalis told Sting to go fuck himself after his first solo outing. The reason why Sting didn't make a living at it is because he sucks a musician in terms of technique and creativity. No wonder he formed that fuck awful pseudo ska crap of a band.

Now I have to listen to this to get that image of Sting ever being a "jazz musician" out of my head.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I didn't say he was a successful jazz musician. I said he couldn't make a living at it. He was stuck up in Newcastle playing in classrooms because the school wouldn't allow his band use of the auditorium. The guy would be a nobody if Stewart Copeland din't need a bass player who could sing for his fake punk band.

Comment

• envy_me
                                Swedish Love Pump
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Dec 2010

I like some of Stings songs. I LOVE Seven Days. That is my favorite.

I also like After the rain has fallen, Don't stand so close to me, Fields of gold...
                                The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

Working...