2014 Rock Hall nominees (inductees announced)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonrisa salvaje
    Veteran
    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Satan
    I agree with you 666% on that. But I doubt either Gillan or Blackmore would. Their egos are no doubt playing a part in this.
    No doubt. The biggest factor could be that Blackmore, in particular, could give two shits about the HOF or rock music and has moved on. It is pretty much a given that he isn't going to show up if inducted. John Lord is passed. Glover, Paice, and Gillan would be the only ones to be there so maybe the Hall thinks why bother.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
      Veteran
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Satan
      Hall & Oates, Cat Stevens, and Linda Ronstadt made it in at the same time?

They should change the name to "1970s AM Radio Hall of Fame"
      Sounds like they should have considered putting in Al Stewart and Dan Fogelberg along with this group?

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Al Stewart...he's on my mind like a song on the radio.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
          Veteran
          • Jun 2005

I will say that I can tolerate Al Stewart but someone I can't is Christopher Cross. That Sailing song gets on my last nerve.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Hmmm...Cheap Trick, The Replacements, Husker Du and Black Flag are not included. In a way, I'm relieved and somewhat wear this as a badge of honor.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I hope someone flies a plane into the side of Cat Steven's house before the ceremony...

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                I hope someone flies a plane into the side of Cat Steven's house before the ceremony...
                I love that greatest hits album, but isn't he living in a tent and driving a camel these days?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

You can't have people who want other artists like Salman Rushdie murdered for their writings and who want all music banned apart from chants to Allah inducted to R&R hall of fame - it's ludicrous.

Comment

• vandeleur
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Sep 2009

Bob and the rest of husker du would make interesting car crash tv
                    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                      Eh, give credit to Nile Rodgers. The man who made the Strat a funky monkey. Other than that, they propagated disco. So fuck them.
                      Umm...
                      No. Chic has too much jazz-harmony to be disco, which IMO is a European bastardization of R'n'B (fuckin' German and Italian producers...). You can hear it in the grooves and basslines.
                      Disco has that "white-boy" feel, where everything seems to be played too fast and always "on the beat", á la "YMCA" or "Play That Funky Music White Boy" versus "Good Times".
                      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• VHscraps
                        Veteran
                        • Jul 2009

I agree.

I can only assume that he has either recanted those kind of views, or become a lot more moderate in an effort to separate himself from the kind of nutjobs who have emerged in the last couple of decades.

e.g., the Islamofascists threatening to give 30 lashes to shopkeepers in London's East End who sell booze. In the news last week.
                        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Then there's the jam at the end of the show. What's gonna be funnier...Paul and Gene playing Born To Run, or the E Street Band playing Rock And Roll All Nite?
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Satan
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                            Hmmm...Cheap Trick, The Replacements, Husker Du and Black Flag are not included. In a way, I'm relieved and somewhat wear this as a badge of honor.
                            I doubt Black Flag will ever get in. Again, you have a case of revolving door membership, and some of these guys still really hate each other. And they were never on a major label. Indie bands don't seem to get into the RRHOF.

The Mats and Husker Du stand a better chance, as they eventually signed with Warner Brothers, and I believe Rolling Stone (which still seems to be running the RRHOF selection process) liked both bands. Either one would get my vote on the first ballot. Not that a Devil gets a vote, sadly.
                            Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by VHscraps
                              I agree.

I can only assume that he has either recanted those kind of views, or become a lot more moderate in an effort to separate himself from the kind of nutjobs who have emerged in the last couple of decades.

e.g., the Islamofascists threatening to give 30 lashes to shopkeepers in London's East End who sell booze. In the news last week.
                              I think so. If i am not mistaken they made a big deal out of him first trying to enter the U.S. again some years back because he was on the watch list. I believe he was detained, questioned and held for a bit. Since then i believe he has been allowed to come and go several times.

I wonder if Cat has changed his view on collecting royalties since giving up all of his worldly possessions. I would imagine his Best Of still brings in a fair amount worldwide.
                              Last edited by sonrisa salvaje; 12-18-2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• mug
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Mar 2005

Paul and Gene have talked to Peter he will be there. He would sing Beth there only no.1 without the band like always.

Comment

Working...