• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ellyllions
    Veteran
    • Mar 2006

you're right...

I gotta stop watching the news.
    "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I was an Eagle Scout and people laugh at that but I look back at the process of getting all those merrit badges and the Eagle Project which is huge and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I have survival skills because of it.

The problem today is both parents tend to work and theres no parent at home. The Columbine kids were building an aresenal and the parents were obliviouse to it. I tried to build a still when I was a kid and got busted. LOL!

Parents farm their kids off to video games and the television to occupy their time. Much of the stuff fills children with a false sense of security and desensatizes them to violence.

There is very little building stuff out of nothing. I made a complicated model airplane when I was 9 years old. It took me sevral months and I had to cut all the pieces out of balsa wood. Kids nowadays would throw the thing away because it's too complicated and too hard.

There's an entittlement addiciton. Everyone wants the govt. to pay for everything and do everything for us.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I went cold when I found out a kid at my children's school has watched all the Saw movies. He's 8 years old! The parents are probably too stoned to care.

What is he going to grow up as?

We have millions of these kids that are being rased by neglect, abuse, and sick shit in the media they are exposed to.

We glorify violence in our entertainment then act shocked and amazed that someone does something that we see in the movies all the time.

Cho was in Full Metal Jacket and other movies. Look at the way he acts in his videos. The dude is Mr. Hollywood but his gun is real and the bullets kill.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

For the record. David Lee Roth was a Boy Scout and he's proud of it. He mentioned this on his radio show when he was on the air.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I was raised in a real strict Christian religion and tottaly rebbeled from it. I almost became an athiest.

When I see shit like this go down I get religiouse again. Why? There has to be justice. I wold like to think the people killed are in a better place and Cho is being tortured in hell by the devil and his demons.

When Jesus said, Give your grief to me and let me be the judge, in times like this, Jesus is selling a good product.

Comment

• VHdamaco
              Foot Soldier
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express

Parents farm their kids off to video games and the television to occupy their time. Much of the stuff fills children with a false sense of security and desensatizes them to violence.

Everyone wants the govt. to pay for everything and do everything for us.
              I was a full on nintendo and TV kid, but then again, i never had games like Resident Evil growing up. I could get away with watching a lot of stuff on tv (aside from skinemax) or playing certain games growing up because my parents made sure that a) i'd have equal time away from the games/tv and be outside playing and 2) that what i saw or did (in the games) was in no way how i should act in the real world. I guess you could say that im "desensitized" to violence, but only in video games. I still wouldn't condone anything beyond self-defense in the real world and am "squeemish" i guess you'd say, to extreme violence in any other medium (which a desesitized person wouldn't be)...

but i guess my brothers and i are the exceptions and not hte rules becuase we have no interest in killing or shooting anyone...

you want to talk about games and tv causing kids to be desensitized to violence, go to rotten.com, or steakandcheese.com or any site like that; they show you what real acts of violence can do to people, that would desensitize kids more so than games and tv, because its real...

also, i learned long ago that the government isn't going to give me shit and i need to earn what i need, when that time comes i'm going to pass that along to my children and hopefully so on and so forth...
              Last edited by VHdamaco; 04-19-2007, 12:29 PM.
              Don't FUCK With Greatness...

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                They are not Christians, period.

No, you're wrong about those silly catholics creating the trinity.

The trinity existed while Christ walked the Earth.

Read your bible (and not a catholic one).

The Trinity did not exist while Jesus was hanging around. It was a term coined after His death. The word "trinity" never appears in the Bible, unless the translation you're using interjected it (like I've seen in some versions the the KJV). What is in the Bible are these three people who can be called God without causing blasphemy. That's why you have early sects of Christianity who didn't agree with what early theologians were piecing together with the vague information they were gathering by stuying Scripture. You have a lot of bits and pieces that support the idea of a Trinity, but you don't have God or Jesus going, "hey guys, look. This is how it is."

Trinity explained here
                and here
                and the Bible quote I know you're going to bring up

FYI: The only major difference between a "Catholic Bible" and a "Protestant Bible" is the Old Testament. Catholics kept the old school Jewish collection and Protestants updated to the new school Jewish collection. The New Testaments are identical. I have a whole collection of translations. Mainly I use my NIV because it can take the wear and tear of usage. I haven't read a "Catholic one" in ages, except for the excerpts read in Mass.

Come on, Brian. I know you like to push buttons, but you know I know my shit. You've been in religious threads where I've explained my mixed religious study. I'm not just some blind follower taught by denomination (or all by believers in God for that matter).
                Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

I went cold when I found out a kid at my children's school has watched all the Saw movies. He's 8 years old! The parents are probably too stoned to care.

How about teaching a 7-year-old boy who considers Scarface the coolest film ever made?

I mean, I got away watching some stuff that wasn't appropriate for my age level, but my parents were strict on how I behaved and treated others. Of what I've seen, most parents don't discipline. There's no accountability or consequence anymore.
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• scamper
                    Commando
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                    Of what I've seen, most parents don't discipline. There's no accountability or consequence anymore.
                    That's a pretty broad brush, in my neighborhood I only know of one family where the kids run wild. The rest of the parents enforce rules, but maybe our community is a minority.

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

For the record. David Lee Roth was a Boy Scout and he's proud of it. He mentioned this on his radio show when he was on the air.
                      He also is a gun owner.
                      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• VHdamaco
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Nov 2004

i've always joked about how i can't wait ot have kids so i can beat the hell out of them for the fact i had my ass tanned a few times when i was but a wee one...

now seeing what this world is coming too, i see the need as a 20 year old to make sure that my kids (whenever they may come) know whats what and are disciplined (but by no means military school/private school style, i can't stand those fuckers)...
                        Don't FUCK With Greatness...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                          He also is a gun owner.
                          So is Eddie Van Halen. Vallerie Bertinelli once said she refused Eddie having guns in the house so he kept them locked up at 5150. He showed his collection to one guitar magazine interviewer and he said it was a whole room full of variouse types of guns. Ed was particularly proud of an Uzi.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                            He couldn't make a criticism of the media using the term African American, black, colored?
                            i'm sure he could've. but he appeared to be trying to make the point by sarcastically taking the media's angle.

it's a bit harsher than the knuckleboner would've probably used. but i don't think it's racist.

however, at THIS point, i think unless i get on the sesh payroll, i'll probably step down as the shpokesperson.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

NBC is really going into damage control mode. Releasing those pics and videos from the shooter is biting them in the ass here in Virginia.
                              "We felt obligated to release the information that fell into our laps"
                              The company I work for does alot of work at Tech. I attend as many football and baseball games as I can. Yes..Tech is a huge campus..but there is just no reason to have kids sitting in classrooms 2 hours after killings..they actually had a Radford student(1st victim's boyfriend) being taken into custody when the 2nd shootings started.
                              Their is just no reason not to send the students back to their dorms( or SOMPELACE else) as soon as they came to their classes that morning.
                              Hindsight is indeed 20/20..but there is also a little something called common sense that should have kicked in.
                              Suppose the kid they originally were questioning did turn out to be the shooter.What would have been wrong with still shutting down the campus for the day?

Comment

• Fairwrning
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

If the shootings were 30 minutes apart..then I could understand not having enough time to react...but this wacko took 2 hours in between.

Comment

Working...